• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

temperaments and body language

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't usually pay attention to my gestures, but I did notice I made a claw today.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
I have read an article about the four temperaments using their hands differently while speaking. Like SJ's make chopping movements and NT's make claws. Does this ring a bell to anyone? I would like to find that article again.

As an NT, I recognize the "claw". What about the other tempraments. What do you do?

Am i the only NT who doesn't understand what a claw is? :huh:

I don't think I do claw gestures, whatever that is. I do use my hands a lot when i talk though. More like undulatory movements through the air, that accompany the patterns of speech.

Think culture may play a part in hand gestures too, as some of the rest have observed.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Am i the only NT who doesn't understand what a claw is? :huh:

A typical claw :
verhofstadt.jpg

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Ah, alright. Thanks for the explanation, mippus. :)

And ok, I certainly don't do that at all. :shock: It looks distinctly...ungraceful. For want of a better word.

Perhaps a part of it is upbringing. Then again, I should note too that on the values sorter test, beauty/art was one of my three top values. :laugh:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
A typical claw :
verhofstadt.jpg

Thanks, I didn't get that, either. I was picturing other NTs going around imitating dinosaurs or the Wicked Witch of the West. I definitely don't do the claw.

I suspect that the INTP mirroring thing comes into play with my gesturing. I probably gesture a lot like the person I'm currently talking to.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I definitely do the claw thing when I communicate.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't do claws but I do this A LOT:

jefferson%20points%20finger.jpg

I'll give you the finger (bu not the middle one :D)!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You'll chop off your finger and give it to others? (Well, I guess NFs are really good at sharing.)

Haha you are funny guy! .... :dry:

;)

:smile:

I point people with my finger. Shoo, shoo to you all! :nice:
:thinking: I really don't know why I do it. :confused:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I noticed today that my hand gestures were open and relaxed, and occasionally I used two fingers to pontificate.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I noticed today that my hand gestures were open and relaxed, and occasionally I used two fingers to pontificate.

I just noticed the guy in your avatar is doing the claw thing...

I don't recall much about what gesture I use... I think most of the time I do the a half pointing movement but palm facing upwards. Gesture of openness? Non-threatening? :unsure: