User Tag List

First 1234 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What are SPs supposed to do?

I rarely make gestures but when I do it's wide open and relaxed hands gesturing in a fairly small area. The chopping and "claw" both sound weird to me.

MBTI
    xNTP

When I get excited I look like an orchestra conductor. I sort of wave my fingers/hands around. Think hybrid chop with rhythm.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

every time I read claw I think of "the claw" from Liar Liar! :yim_rolling_on_the_
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Is your source online? I would be interested in reading more. For example, what about SPs and NFs?
    I recall reading it in Keirsey's Please Understand Me II. I do the claw thing but so does my ESTP friend who does it far more frequently than me.

I haven't thought about it in a while but I'll definitely start looking for the chop and other movements more. Not sure how much correlation there actually is though. I think Neidnagel's stuff on body language/sports might interest you though.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    every time I read claw I think of "the claw" from Liar Liar! :yim_rolling_on_the_
    That sounds about right... Bua ha ha ha -- "THE CLAW!!!"

Poor Cary Elwes.

I don't know. I think body language can reveal some particular individual traits (i.e., intro/extroversion, etc.) ... but I don't think it is nearly consistent enough to be used to judge type, and I think cultural influences probably play a much larger role than type in what movements are practiced and expressed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp

I talk with my hands a lot. I wave them around, make weird open-palmed shapes with my hands, point to the heavens, ect.

I guess kind of like Bob Dylan in this video, just to a lesser degree.

YouTube - Bob Dylan

Otherwise (as in, body language that isn't hands when talking), I think I huddle into my own zone. I kind of tap out all the beats running in my head on whatever apparatus is around me and bob my head. Or I lean forward into my hands and stare into the clouds. I close off everything but myself and the person I may be talking to with my body language I think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I use my hands a lot when I speak. I do all sorts of movements with them to illustrate what I am trying to say in each time.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I tend to mirror the body language of the person I am speaking to.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFP

Smile SP gestures

Well I know that when I'm using body language (I'm ESFP btw for those that don't know) I am usually very animated. With the hands it can be very open gestures like having my arms far away from my body and palms up. My eyes start flashing very brightly when something is really interesting or I'm very happy. I'm "like a puppy dog" as my friends tell me. I get very hyper and I'm like talking so fast sometimes you can't understand what I'm saying. When I'm angry my face turns beet red, and if I'm REALLY pissed my head starts shaking violently like a bull. Hmm, what else. The wheels in my head are turning but not much is coming out. Hmmm...I often have the raised eyebrow when I'm surprised and I can make crazy gestures when im frustrated:steam: . When I want to make a strong point my voice can become very rough and I can growl like a dog. I'm basically a dog trapped in a man's body.
    Last edited by SeanMC86; 03-02-2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling error

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by eyebyte View Post
    I have heard people from different places using their hands differently - meaning from English/German descent using lower held hand gestures while Mediterranean descendants using higher up hand gestures when talking - not sure if it hold water, though.
    That might actually hold some... Because i'm of scandinavian upbringing, and it's very much like the german culture... Holding hands low, not so dramatic.
    I've got some spanish and walloon (read frenchie) blood and I wave my hands and arms around up high, much like Whatever.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come