• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni Domance and Memory for Numbers

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All types can remember information. It just depends on the information they tend to remember.

I suspect with INxJs, their supposed memory for details that Usehername, myself, and others have described could be due to our inferior Se that works at a more focused, internal level. I imagine this is the source of how INxJs can also have acute attention to detail, particularly details with meaning or of subjective interest.

EDIT: I think a good memory for anything comes from introverted perception (Si or Ni). After all, Ni probably needs to have a good memory in order to distort the collected facts in creative endeavors and so forth. Ni often uses memories of facts and events to predict what will happen next. This is pretty much how the Israeli prophets (who Jung claimed were Ni types) worked in reality. (They were not magical seers.)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
how is it Si?
My ISTJ mother used to be the secretary for a social club. Every person was issued a key with a number on it. Even though there were about 500 members, she knew almost everyone's key number, though she might not know their name!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn, I forgot we were only talking about numbers...

I think a memorization of numbers is more IxTx and memorization of names is IxFx, since the latter is directly in relation to people.

Atomic Fiend

how is it Si?
My ESTJ mom has tens of hundreds of numbers in her head, along with the home addresses of people we haven't spoken to in years, and if you push the shiney red button behind her ear it can tell you the directions and distance from your current position to your destination.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although, I do tend to have a rather good memory for names, too.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Although I can easily memorize sequences of numbers and passwords I am horrible at memorizing dates, names and birthdays.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm better at memorizing a person's astrological sign than their birthday. But if I know their sign, it's easier for me to pinpoint their exact birth date.

Rhadamanthus

MBTI Type
ISTP
Although I can easily memorize sequences of numbers and passwords I am horrible at memorizing dates, names and birthdays.

I'm the opposite. But, then again, I'm not an "N", so I guess it doesn't count.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
All types can remember information. It just depends on the information they tend to remember.

I suspect with INxJs, their supposed memory for details that Usehername, myself, and others have described could be due to our inferior Se that works at a more focused, internal level. I imagine this is the source of how INxJs can also have acute attention to detail, particularly details with meaning or of subjective interest.

Se wouldn't be focused on the internal level, by my understanding, as it is "extraverted". We assimiliate/internalize that external sensing info and then rework it into our mind's system for w/e need or deemed importance there is of it (for facts, details, input people's faces or not....etc) or if we want to organize it.

Aside from my lil' sis (INTJ) and myself (INFJ), I assume Se for IN_Js can be a distraction sometimes when we are trying to be "within"(Ni) as we most inherently are. What brings us out (Se) depends largely on what we care to notice whether it strongly relates to how Fe or Te will want to react . This is to a certain point as noise is still noise :D .

I speak next of general, not of people close to us whom we choose to talk to. So, for example, the more personal a strangers' conversation is, perhaps, the more drawn to react an INFJ is, whether they care to listen if they like it or not....comment if they "feel" they must end w/e is wrong or ignorant of the others, even if it's NOT of a personal nature. I assume for INTJs that the more impersonal a conversation is, the more drawn. If personal and drawn they are :rolli: (<-their eyes ;) ) , they observe and mock inwardly....or mock outwardly if they must butcher the ignorant stupidity or try to help people listen to reason via Te so there is quiet again for Ni :devil: ....That isn't to say they're all asses about it, not at all. If they care about you, they'll probably retort as nicely as they can until agitated if it gets them nowhere. If they loathe you upon introduction, initially, and longterm, oh my! :steam:, prepare for verbal destruction in the form of a slashingly succinct WMD. I shoot down others too but my sis'll do it when I feel it's rude after having cocked, loaded and I'm uncertain on pulling that trigger or detonating---up to a point. And she will say exactly what I thought too :party2: K, she's 7 years younger and maybe she hasn't restrained (resigned?) herself to society yet as well as older (even happier) INTJs have but she's more mature than most adults so....and I'll never allow them to get her!

I adore my INTJ cousins :hug:

I think you're an INTJ, does that sound like something similiar for you? Any INTJs correct me if you think me wrong.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se wouldn't be focused on the internal level, by my understanding, as it is "extraverted". We assimiliate/internalize that external sensing info and then rework it into our mind's system for w/e need or deemed importance there is of it (for facts, details, input people's faces or not....etc) or if we want to organize it.

Aside from my lil' sis (INTJ) and myself (INFJ), I assume Se for IN_Js can be a distraction sometimes when we are trying to be "within"(Ni) as we most inherently are. What brings us out (Se) depends largely on what we care to notice whether it strongly relates to how Fe or Te will want to react . This is to a certain point as noise is still noise :D .

I speak next of general, not of people close to us whom we choose to talk to. So, for example, the more personal a strangers' conversation is, perhaps, the more drawn to react an INFJ is, whether they care to listen if they like it or not....comment if they "feel" they must end w/e is wrong or ignorant of the others, even if it's NOT of a personal nature. I assume for INTJs that the more impersonal a conversation is, the more drawn. If personal and drawn they are :rolli: (<-their eyes ;) ) , they observe and mock inwardly....or mock outwardly if they must butcher the ignorant stupidity or try to help people listen to reason via Te so there is quiet again for Ni :devil: ....That isn't to say they're all asses about it, not at all. If they care about you, they'll probably retort as nicely as they can until agitated if it gets them nowhere. If they loathe you upon introduction, initially, and longterm, oh my! :steam:, prepare for verbal destruction in the form of a slashingly succinct WMD. I shoot down others too but my sis'll do it when I feel it's rude after having cocked, loaded and I'm uncertain on pulling that trigger or detonating---up to a point. And she will say exactly what I thought too :party2: K, she's 7 years younger and maybe she hasn't restrained (resigned?) herself to society yet as well as older (even happier) INTJs have but she's more mature than most adults so....and I'll never allow them to get her!

I adore my INTJ cousins :hug:

I think you're an INTJ, does that sound like something similiar for you? Any INTJs correct me if you think me wrong.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. But I have a thought that since Se is deep in the INxJ's subconscious, it could function at a more internal level. It's considered aspirational, which means Ni's visions and dreams are of Se desires, such as the desire to explore. The trouble is that with Ni types, Se is often so underdeveloped that the Ni is not confident to realize whatever dreams it has.

I tend to also think that memory falls under any introverted function. Ni needs to have a memory in order to perceive what will happen next. But sometimes, the trend perception isn't active, so it could function in a more rote fashion similar to Si.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Yes, I understand what you're saying. But I have a thought that since Se is deep in the INxJ's subconscious, it could function at a more internal level. It's considered aspirational, which means Ni's visions and dreams are of Se desires, such as the desire to explore. The trouble is that with Ni types, Se is often so underdeveloped that the Ni is not confident to realize whatever dreams it has.

I tend to also think that memory falls under any introverted function. Ni needs to have a memory in order to perceive what will happen next. But sometimes, the trend perception isn't active, so it could function in a more rote fashion similar to Si.

Hmm, I have a hard time seeing what you mean as "function at a more internal level". How I see it is that we all (types) internalize our Se in order to make sense of our outside (Se) perceptions (disregarding our Ni perceptions). All humans/creatures internalize, however quickly/slowly, their outer environments through inward perception. Exluding instincts/perception of animals (well, they can't speak for themselves, well, speak human languages except for a few taught primates :shock: ...), we all also perceive inwardly without external sensory info but for some it's easier and more preferred than others.

As the highest example of this easy command of Se (I assume), Extroverted Sensing types just don't internalize as deeply as Introverd Intuiting types. They see, think quick, react. Or see, act and then think by internalizing (whether successful or for the unsuccessful thinking why either happened...or not). Sorry to stereo..type :devil:. They're more comfortable doing those. They're much faster than Introverted Sensing types, whom also re/act fast but internalize a bit more and are disproportionately faster than Introverted Intuiting Types because we're not as comfortable trusting what we see as they might. I'd assume that's why we're so thrown with fast talkers/acting because it startles us out of wanting to internalize "think" and it's much harder for us getting to them to "slow" down because they're so much faster to us. (Any Extroverts reading, the aformentioned is not about intelligence but just on exterting it, however intelligent you are or all Extroverts are---). We Introverted Intuitives like to further understand and reach conclusions before re/acting. Unless, of course, we're already accustomed/familiarised with something.

A very simple example is sports. They might do as example and later on try to improve 'think' but we'd observe first through example/s to be better prepared and then do it and perhaps if not successful re-work within our internal system to improve upon it. I've read of Introverts saying they dreaded sports and it makes me think it's due to the aforesaid. And by re-working internally, that also applies to "acting" the sport to improve and not just by visualising inside. We might be slow learners upon initial "shoving" into the sport but we might ultimately be better in the end with visualing what we want to do (or be better captains/coaches by directing-I speak of INxJs as I wouldn't know for others). As for learning, whether we're comfortable doing it with/in front of others depends on familiarity/trust of them, I'd assume. Ooh, it just occured to me on what you said of "desire and explore". It's like trying to outwardly "explore" the area on the court (Se) and get our hang of it by wanting to control it. Hope I made sense. :blush:

So, it's just that other people are stronger with acting outside than reacting as Ni types are inherently geared to do. We do both but are more comfortable reacting and if we choose to become stronger with Se we can develop it (same thing in reverse for other types with Ni etc). I've been trying to find this chart which explains it for both INxJs so, assuming I do, I'll link it for you. It explains how we might bounce from process to process as we age as an approximation of most people and will most succinctly explain better than I can what I mean on internalizing Se unless you got me already :cry: But I'll still link it.

But as for the Se aspirational sense, yes, I agree. I wouldn't say not confident, though...I'd say, not confident as of yet :D . Once they are, they'll go for it, depending on the person + however slow/fast they choose to run.

Irrelevant Note: I feel silly as your Siggy clearly states you an INTJ... :doh:

Important Note: I claim no extensive expertise on type or process as of yet. It's rather uncomfortable sharing what I'm not certain of but doing it helps me learn... So, I have assumed as I've annoyingly kept saying as most of the above is known through brief reading and guidance by my own lover Ni's Dominant command~ I am its submissive and it likes to wips me--a lot. /BDMS humour. Although...now I'm thinking I/E Sensing Types might like to be Dom/mes in RL....:blink:

Edit: As for best in sports, I should also say that Sensing types would be more natural and can be better with it too. It's just whomever applies their intrinsic knowledge aside from their aptitude for it. And anyone can make it become more natural to them over time if desired so. I'm an INFJ and have always been a master of sports (not to brag) and always directed my teams(even being co-cap as a kid--). I can't recall how well I started but I noted apprehension when newly learning when asked to perform w/o preparation. I mastered through observation and all the above I said. *exhale*

redacted

i've been wondering about this recently. does each introverted function have a hard drive? or is there one big hard drive outside of the system of functions that's accessed by each of them? i guess it kind of doesn't make any functional difference...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
i've been wondering about this recently. does each introverted function have a hard drive? or is there one big hard drive outside of the system of functions that's accessed by each of them? i guess it kind of doesn't make any functional difference...

Shouldn't it be more like a single hard drive (aka your brain) that different introverted functions have access to (via read & write commands). So the hard drive becomes tailored to whatever function that's dominant?

So Ni set up the brain into little nodes of information being all interconnected, while Si structures information into grids inside the brain?

Does it make a functional difference... uhhh only that it's more difficult for Si to run on a Ni-wired brain and visa versa for Ni on a Si brain?

I think it makes more sense that both systems shares a hard drive since your memory is your memory afterall... It wouldn't make sense sense to have them separated.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm horrible at remembering numbers. Part of the difficulty, I think, is that numbers have little inherient meaning to me. I have to associate them with other things that do have meaning in order to remember the number.