User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Can knowing your "type" help you manage stress?

I've been thinking a lot about stress lately. Partly because I have a lot of it: personality types aside, I'm 23 and I've been struggling with a severe illness for the last 13 years and counting; I've been housebound for almost all of that time, sometimes bedbound, and very, very isolated.

It's frustrating, especially because my desires for a social life, a job, an education and to move out are still very much intact.

A lot of my stress comes from living at home with a family who are very different than I am, and living with my parents means I have even less control over my life than I already do. Moving out will be a massive step for me, but until then I want to know if or how knowing about your personality type can help you manage stress.

I'm not entirely sure I am in the INFJ category (my health and lack of experiences get in the way of knowing my true preferences) but it seems to fit. If I'm an INFJ then I'm an INFJ with a deeply rationalist bent.

I'm going to make a second version of this thread specifically for INFJ types (if a similar one doesn't already exist) but for now I want to put this here so I can get the widest range of opinions and perspectives as possible. I'll appreciate any replies a lot! I know you probably won't be able to comment much on my situation, but don't worry about that: I want to know YOUR experiences on this. Thanks for your time

(Also, as I'm new to this can you explain or keep any jargon down to a minimum? I'm uninitiated and don't know what all the "Se" "Ne" references mean yet!)

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Understanding your stress, what causes it, what subdues it and so on can help, understanding your type (and Enneagram) can sometimes give some specific questions or answers that help narrow that down as well as some ideas on how to avoid becoming too stressed, it does depend on the individual though. If other people are the cause of what stresses you than understanding their type can also help. Basically it's a tool that may help.

Btw, INFJs already have a "rationalist bent".

This link my be of help: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...rior-injs.html

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I second that. Read this which is mentioned in the first line of the OP in the thread:
    Naomi Quenk's book "Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality"

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

things like "Se" and "Ne" are shorthand for extraverted Sensing and extraverted iNtuition (which, just in case you don't already know, are the cognitive functions that some theorists believe correspond to type - more here)

i think that knowing your type can help you look at potential areas of weakness, and reasons for them you haven't considered before, which can then help you manage stress. it can also help you capitalize on your strengths! and i think there's a certain peace of mind that comes from understanding how you are, and accepting that... i still want to be the best ENFP that i can be but it's easier now to stop trying so hard to be an ENFJ, and knowing the ins and outs of my type can suggest some strategies for how i can be more J-like in a way that runs more in tandem with my personality.

for me, in particular, learning more about Fi (introverted Feeling) and about Fi/Fe conflicts has helped me with dealing with social anxiety.
    Last edited by skylights; 01-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes. It helps tremendously, especially the thought that I'm ENFP explains sooooo much. I'm happy to know that if I don't grow up to be an SJ that doesn't mean something is wrong with me, and if I don't grow up to be an NT, that doesn't mean I'm dumb.

That's a great stress reliever by itself.

If you have a chance, stalk cascadeco and fidelia's posts and see if they resonate with you. Both are intelligent INFJs.

+3 for Kasper's suggested link/read!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemilla View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about stress lately. Partly because I have a lot of it: personality types aside, I'm 23 and I've been struggling with a severe illness for the last 13 years and counting; I've been housebound for almost all of that time, sometimes bedbound, and very, very isolated.

It's frustrating, especially because my desires for a social life, a job, an education and to move out are still very much intact.

A lot of my stress comes from living at home with a family who are very different than I am, and living with my parents means I have even less control over my life than I already do. Moving out will be a massive step for me, but until then I want to know if or how knowing about your personality type can help you manage stress.

I'm not entirely sure I am in the INFJ category (my health and lack of experiences get in the way of knowing my true preferences) but it seems to fit. If I'm an INFJ then I'm an INFJ with a deeply rationalist bent.

I'm going to make a second version of this thread specifically for INFJ types (if a similar one doesn't already exist) but for now I want to put this here so I can get the widest range of opinions and perspectives as possible. I'll appreciate any replies a lot! I know you probably won't be able to comment much on my situation, but don't worry about that: I want to know YOUR experiences on this. Thanks for your time

(Also, as I'm new to this can you explain or keep any jargon down to a minimum? I'm uninitiated and don't know what all the "Se" "Ne" references mean yet!)
    You are a brave lass.
    Can knowing your type help you manage stress?
    Very much so.

I found typology, and therefore my type, when I was bedbound. It is 25 years hence.
    A friend had bought me an open book with empty pages to fill, and pens.

Typology helps you to make the decisions you have to make. Because finally you are able to see yourself from outside.
    Good and evil are not rational terms.
    Difference is.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

To answer your question, it can help a lot as to how someone can manage stress, as some people just 'work' differently than others, and one thing that stresses one person out may not necessarily stress another.

That's how I sort of ended up on this site, I think. I just wanted to learn about all of this and how to deal with things and how others deal with things and differences, etc.

I can't really pinpoint a particular experience where typology has helped me try and understand the viewpoints of others where at times I just couldn't, and times where I was stressed and I wasn't sure why or what would fix it, or why everyone else was stressed except me, etc.

And if you haven't yet...click on that link up there...good stuff.

The process of self reflection that is needed on deciding on your type can help with stress and it's causes.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Learning that I was INFJ at least told me that I wasn't totally insane for becoming physically ill when stressed, and that it was an all-too-common experience.

I still have a really hard time managing stress, unfortunately. I wish I was getting better at it. Maybe I am a tiny bit...I think age and experience has contributed more to that than type, though.

A lot of my stress management just involves telling myself "this will pass" a lot, and just praying to really take that good thought to heart.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING