User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You're right on this one (imo) -- I think that's a lousy question because of the ways in which it can be interpreted.

Also, I think it adds to the S/N rift because S's feel that they're being told they're not creative (and some believe it!) and N's feel like they're being told they are not practical (and some believe that!)

I think creativity is any situation where one comes up with a novel approach that gets the job done... and so a creative person could be either S or N. Meanwhile, practicality means taking the "realistic" parameters into account and not getting off on some esoteric track, just plowing straight through the necessary effort needed to reach the goal. S and N people can all do this, even while pursuing S or N-flavored goals.

So the creative/practical box, if examined, seems very sloppy and not helpful for a large section of people.
    Bravo! Well said!

I know that everyone uses each preference at times, and when any type is using Sensing his/her creative energy will produce something different from using Intuition to channel it. The preferences and type theory is really a language which we can use to talk about some methods, habits, and patterns of thought, etc. It was never meant to be a gate to exclude certain things for certain people, i.e, creativity and practicality.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post

But they asked me which do I admire more?
    I happen to admire those things in others that I cannot do myself.

Yes, this has always bothered me as well. I too admire skills in others that I'm not so good at myself. Questions phrased like this are not a great way to find out what someone does well themself.

MBTI
    INFP

Splittet,
    I follow what you're saying. My dad is an ENTJ and he definitely has a very preactical side. Even so, my ISTJ mom is extremely more practical than he is.

MBTI
    INTJ

What does practical mean anyway? Does it mean to apply efficient solutions? In that case, I am sure ENTJs would agree they are practical, because they are all about efficient solutions, which are the nature of Te.