User Tag List

12 Last

Default Extraverted Value of Introverted Functions

For introverts, the value of their own extraverted functions is clear. The extraverted functions keep them alive. They are the means of dealing with reality.

Also, more broadly thinking, for anyone, extraverted functions are what keep the world functioning (it seems to me at least).

Of course, people can value their extraverted functions for other reasons, but one does not need to think for too long to see the value in extraverted functions.

But what about the introverted functions?

From an extravert's perspective, why would one value the introverted functions?

It is clear thet many extraverts do, but why do the value introverted functions?

More broadly thinking, how can introverted functions be useful/valued in the world at large?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

heart on fire

People need an inner life, inner integrity. A firm foundation for external life. jmo.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But what about the introverted functions?

From an extravert's perspective, why would one value the introverted functions?

It is clear thet many extraverts do, but why do the value introverted functions?

More broadly thinking, how can introverted functions be useful/valued in the world at large?
    Hmm.

I don't know how I can explain this, but for me, Fi gives things purpose. If it was just Ne directing me, that would be bizarre and irresponsible and goodness knows what else.

Fi gives me my inner identity, like heart said, a firm foundation. Sure, my mind might jump from place to place, but inside I know who I am, and that's based on how Fi sees the world...

Yeah, maybe the introverted functions are the solid, unchanging part of ourselves? I don't think extraverts could operate without an introverted function...
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I value my Ti more than anything, even though my primary function is Ne. Ti just seems to give me the drive and decisiveness that life takes. I tend to not take anything seriously, but Ti seems to help me focus and turn into a more "productive" person.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    ENTP

For me, since my dominant function is a perceiving function, without my Ti I'd have no judgement, no way of deciding what to do with all the stuff I perceive. I'd have no centre, no inner life. I'd also have no basis for comparison for all the things I perceive. It's easy to get caught in an Ne loop and drive myself gradually insane by referencing only my current perceptions of/in the external world - it's only by using Ti that I break that loop and reference those perceptions with my inner self, my knowledge, my understanding and judgement, otherwise I'd be just swept along with the tide.

For an EJ, I would've thought the introverted perceiving function's value as a balancer to the extraverted judging would be clear: otherwise there'd be no questioning of their judgements and decisions and they'd be truly rigid, self-righteous, unable to accept challenge or criticism at all, if they weren't able to break out of the auto-judge tendency and reference their decisions against the things they know and understand and have seen before.

The value of introverted functions is just as obvious, I'd have thought... a person who has no inner life is shallow, not self-aware, has no opportunity for quality reflection over their actions and choices, or careful decision making.
    Ils se dÔŅĹmerdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

To manifest one function outwardly, another gets pushed inward. Having an introverted axis allows us to use our energy on more than one function at a time. For instance, while I'm using Fe to relate to others, I can hold in mind a perspective or vision from Ni that guides Fe towards or away from something rather than just letting it always do what ever seems to be best for relating to people. Ti would probably be used periodically to more finely examine the nature of the ideas within my perspective and how they apply to the current situation (with the help of Se).

In other words, the Introverted functions give boundaries and direction to the Extraverted ones.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

"The first and the best victory is to conquer self."
    -Plato

A person cannot make good use of an extraverted function without an introverted function to support it (or vice versa). Introverted functions make a person grounded in who they are. I think a person would be shallow or materialistic without a developed introverted function, since their focus would always be on the external. In my case Ti keeps me from being a total flake. I'd never finish anything that I start without it, since I'd jump into every new idea I'd have without considering if the project is worth my time or it I'd be willing to finish what I started.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    enfj

quite a few entp have responded to this so far. but I would say that without Ni. which I have come to realy quite heavily, you could probably describe me as shallow/ attention seeking.

I have met some "A FEW" very materialistic Esj's/ especially women "probably because I dont really approach men " concerened very much if not only with social happenings "I love people".... which I would understand but, these girls seem to be looking for status....... which also means they are easy to get with. anyone can project status.

especially when your an ENFJ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i love my Ni and Ti. while they don't manifest directly in the outer world, they give me interesting things to say.

Ni helps my Fe see others' perspectives, allowing me to respond to each person differently.

Ti allows me to see how systems work, allowing me to take efficient actions, and to describe things concisely.

Fe by itself seems like it would be pretty lame.

MBTI
    enfj

Fe by itself seems like it would be pretty lame
    .... lame?"reminds of of somthing cute and harmless......"

I certainly wouldnt describe it like that. but I think I see what you mean.