• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which function more likely to land you in the Psych Ward: Ne or Ni?

Which function?

• Ne

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Ni

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Neither. Baby Fi or Fe is more likely to drive people mad.

This.. I agree.. it's not so much what the information is or where it comes from but rather what kind of assessment and value is placed on the information that causes breakdowns.
If someone is too subjective, they are more likely to feel alienated and misunderstood.

Typology statistics themselves, make this claim.
It seems F doms who use intuition, are the most likely to be in therapy and to suffer from emotional breakdowns and anxiety attacks.
I am sure I read in "Survival games Personalities Play" that as much as 70% of all people in therapy are NF's. I am sure I also read that SFPs make up the bulk of the rest.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
that as much as 70% of all people in therapy are NF's

This is possibly a combination of two things: NFs are more sensitive or anxious or imaginative (in a bad way) with their emo, but also that NFs are more likely to seek out therapy and seek to conquer themselves and help themselves. A lot of people avoid therapy like it's a Nazi torture camp, and have to be dragged to a shrink by their friends or family (or the cops) even if they're severely mentally ill.

I'm guessing these people who have to be dragged (or who NEVER go and just go through life inflicting themselves and their issues on others) are more often SJs, NTs, and STPs?

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I've landed in one, on a couple of occasions, and a few near misses, so i'd have to go with Ne.

But, in there i definitely had both Ne and Ni around me....

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
This is possibly a combination of two things: NFs are more sensitive or anxious or imaginative (in a bad way) with their emo, but also that NFs are more likely to seek out therapy and seek to conquer themselves and help themselves. A lot of people avoid therapy like it's a Nazi torture camp, and have to be dragged to a shrink by their friends or family (or the cops) even if they're severely mentally ill.

I'm guessing these people who have to be dragged (or who NEVER go and just go through life inflicting themselves and their issues on others) are more often SJs, NTs, and STPs?

You are indeed correct.. I do not have my own copy of "Survival Games" at this time.. SO I contacted someone who does for clarification..

It says that NF's are the most likely to "seek" therapy and that SFPs are the most likely to be "ordered" into therapy due to their breakdowns often consisting of delinquent and criminal behavior.

This book by the way.. is one of the best books on Typology I have ever read..
I would advise anyone who has a genuine interest in Typology to read it.
It's incredibly insightful and has helped me understand myself and others more than any other single source.
Good stuff, indeed!

http://www.innervisionresources.com/book2info.html

book_sgpp.gif

Do you want to help someone who is clearly distressed, but you don't know what to do?

Is someone else's troublesome behavior impacting you in negative ways?

Are you confused by some of the things other people say and do, that just don't make any sense to you?

In Survival Games Personalities Play, Dr. Eve Delunas presents a way of understanding personality type differences that explains how and why a person may behave negatively, and what to do about it. Each personality, or temperament type, is capable of engaging in "survival games" given the right circumstances. These games are forms of psychological self-defense that we use to unconsciously protect ourselves when we are under extreme stress. Different personalities play different games, and for different reasons!

testimonial1.jpg

Learn to recognize the four games:

* The Artisan Game of Blackmail
* The Guardian Game of Complain
* The Rational Game of Robot
* The Idealist Game of Masquerade

Using case examples from her twenty years of practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist, Dr. Delunas describes:

* What each temperament type needs most to prevent survival-game-playing.
* How to best avoid triggering each temperament's defensive behavior.
* How to communicate effectively with each temperament.
* How and when to employ specific interventions to stop each of the four survival games.

Sunny Ghost

This.. I agree.. it's not so much what the information is or where it comes from but rather what kind of assessment and value is placed on the information that causes breakdowns.
If someone is too subjective, they are more likely to feel alienated and misunderstood.

It seems F doms who use intuition, are the most likely to be in therapy and to suffer from emotional breakdowns and anxiety attacks.
I am sure I read in "Survival games Personalities Play" that as much as 70% of all people in therapy are NF's. I am sure I also read that SFPs make up the bulk of the rest.
I can definitely see that.

I also think SJs, NTs, and STPs are more likely to handle inner chaos better, or rather keep the chaos from happening.

It says that NF's are the most likely to "seek" therapy and that SFPs are the most likely to be "ordered" into therapy due to their breakdowns often consisting of delinquent and criminal behavior.
haha.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also think SJs, NTs, and STPs are more likely to handle inner chaos better, or rather keep the chaos from happening.

I'm sure there are quite a few STPs in prison, and I've known some SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP SJs, as well as observing an emotionally unstable or abusive NT here and there, so....No. Maybe as a general rule...but no, no not really.

A

A window to the soul

I vote Ni because it's left brain which logically looks primarily at details, whereas Ne (right brain) looks primarily at wholes ("bigger picture"). I think Ni could lead one to over-analysis and totally missing the forrest for the trees. Here's what I found for Ni, but I was unable to find any similar effects of Ne broken down by types like this...

Quote from http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Introverted_Intuition
As a Dominant Function, Ni leads INJs to anchor themselves primarily in discovery of and attunement to that "what else"--to seek communion with it for its own sake. INJs are typically concerned with finding an independent and all-encompassing perspective on whatever interests them, so they can see it without bias, without being fooled or led along by ways in which other interests have set things up, and without a merely partial understanding.

As a Secondary Function, Ni typically leads ENJs to be aware of alternative ways of negotiating the social world, that exploit the assumptions that people make in order for there to be a social world. One might use this awareness to be on guard against cheaters, to prevail by setting knots and traps for others to fall into, to commit to a vision that might currently seem impossible, or a thousand other ways to serve or create an Extraverted goal.

As a Tertiary Function, Ni typically leads ISPs to suspect others of hypocrisy and cheating and putting on appearances aimed at exploiting people's credulity--especially hypocrisy inherent in social institutions. Sometimes ISPs draw upon Ni to find ways to throw a monkey wrench into social systems that call them into some kind of obligation: to respond in ways that don't make sense within the system's explicitly stated ways of interpreting behavior as cooperative or hostile (but are indeed hostile).

As an Inferior Function, Ni typically leads ESPs to either self-doubt or claim to a mystic vision--to see themselves as an oracle of transcendent truth, bypassing the need for finding things out through observation, reasoning, and putting ideas to a test.

Naturally, you can see plenty of dominant-style Ni in ENJs, secondary-style Ni in INJs, and so on--even inferior-style Ni in INJs.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say Ni. This comment purportedly from Beebe was interesting: "Jung singlehandedly rescued introverted iNtuition from being regarded as a sociopathy in Western culture."

http://www.infj.com/INFJ_Potshots.htm

A

A window to the soul

I'm sure there are quite a few STPs in prison, and I've known some SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP SJs, as well as observing an emotionally unstable or abusive NT here and there, so....No. Maybe as a general rule...but no, no not really.

The ISTP that I dated had a good handle on his Ni and didn't take it to the twisted level described in the quote from my previous post above. I would take this poll with a grain of salt though, there are weirdos in every type.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think Ne's craziness is more like a hyper child than a madman. Ne hops around from crazy thought to crazy thought. Ni, has this alarming way of twisting their perception of reality. Ni's ability to do this is kind of like a honey badger. The badger's skin is extremely thick and loose, so it can move freely within it. If a predator bites the badger's skin, it can just twist around and bite back. It's hard to get at its core. Meanwhile, Ne is more like the roadrunner (you'll have to catch them first!).

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
A Ne dom in the psych ward would think he's the Pope. A Ni dom would think the Pope is after him. : )) Or not.

Mental illnesses are hereditary, so unless type is hereditary, it doesn't really matter.

rav3n

To add to this, Fe and Fi are insecurity agents and enablers. And before Fe and Fi doms get their thongs in a twist, everyone has Fe and Fi processes.