User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,456

    Default Higher levels of Te than Ti in an INFJ

    There's several things I can think of that could account for having higher levels of Te than Ti. Typically INFJ should have Ti as their tertiary function, but I find in my case I have a more developed Te than Ti. I'm wondering if this isn't due to being schooled in a science environment where following steps in a lab, searching for actual evidence to prove a hypothesis, looking for quantitative information that doesn't look at the subjective context to make an opinion, are crucial to science. I grew up in a household with ISTJ and iNTP parents. Now how I ended up with higher Fe in this environment is beyond me. I can understand how I would end up with higher Te having one parent with auxiliary Te.

    I'm not complaining about having stronger Te, just I wonder how it got stronger than Ti. Usually INFJs under stress tend to create systems in their minds that might not necessarily have a practical application in life... kind of objectively analyze what is going on around them, become colder. I find under stress, I end up becoming much more irritable, bossy, fussy, and my patience levels go down. I end up disliking inefficiency even more... and want people to cut the b.s. Depending on the situation, I might end up becoming more or less emotional.

    I still wonder if there might be other factors influencing higher levels of Te vs. Ti. I think I've already mentioned this before in another thread, but if anyone has information about this, I'm curious to see what you guys know.

    Thanks!

    -CF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Johari/Nohari

    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche




  2. #2
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Te is the left brain alternative of Fe, so in some respects, they're more alike, such as "following steps" and such. It's the common "J" attitude. So it might seem to come out stronger than the tertiary.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  3. #3
    From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Te is the left brain alternative of Fe, so in some respects, they're more alike, such as "following steps" and such. It's the common "J" attitude. So it might seem to come out stronger than the tertiary.
    So it might be more indicative of wanting to organize the external environment based on Ni's visions of how the future could be, or how to arrange things to achieve Ni's vision. A desire for control over the external environment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Johari/Nohari

    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche




  4. #4
    Supreme High Commander Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    So it might be more indicative of wanting to organize the external environment based on Ni's visions of how the future could be, or how to arrange things to achieve Ni's vision. A desire for control over the external environment.
    Yes, to a degree. A well developed shadow function usually plays a supporting role to the concious functions, as it is those that really motivate us. An INFJ will tend to express Te when it serves the needs associated with Ni or Fe. An example might be that the person needs cash to achieve some goal that appeals to Ni+Fe, so they temporally express Te concerns while organising their finances enough to get it. At the end of the day, it all comes back to the concious functions. That's why they are doing it.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

  5. #5
    From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yes, to a degree. A well developed shadow function usually plays a supporting role to the concious functions, as it is those that really motivate us. An INFJ will tend to express Te when it serves the needs associated with Ni or Fe. An example might be that the person needs cash to achieve some goal that appeals to Ni+Fe, so they temporally express Te concerns while organising their finances enough to get it. At the end of the day, it all comes back to the concious functions. That's why they are doing it.
    This is especially true when it comes to raising a family, or thinking ahead in supporting a family/household... you need to have enough funds to be able to pay bills, to feed and clothe people, to get decent health care, to get a car that lasts, to be able to send the kids off to college, and to save for retirement, and doing this without going over your head in debt.

    Likewise, this applies with schooling/education. In order for the INFJ to achieve their goals to be in a particular career path, or for someone close to them to follow through in a career path, they will not only invest themselves in achieving that goal, but will emphasize getting outstanding test scores, getting good grades in coursework, and following through the steps necessary to become whatever career they or someone else desire to be in. I suppose it's the logical flow of thinking that getting good grades will maximize your chances of getting a decent career with decent pay that will support a family, and that planning everything on a day-to-day basis will help a household to run smoother, thus help achieve a desired outcome. Still, it's the Ni-Fe mindset of being concerned over the overall welfare and future of those close to the INFJ, and Te is being used as a support system to ensure the well-being of everyone in the household... even if it's hypothetical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Johari/Nohari

    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche




  6. #6
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    i forget who mentioned this, or where the theory is from... but someone in a fairly recent thread pointed out a theory that suggests that your level of introversion/extraversion can impact your tertiary - essentially being extremely introverted for your type could push your tertiary extraverted to make up for the lack of extraversion, and being extremely extraverted for your type could push your tertiary introverted to make up for your lack of introversion. if we're playing by that theory, and if Ni and Fi are your strongest functions, like it appears in your sig, then maybe your Ti is getting pushed into Te by your cognitive introversion to make up for the lack of extraversion in your other functions.

  7. #7
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I find under stress, I end up becoming much more irritable, bossy, fussy, and my patience levels go down. I end up disliking inefficiency even more... and want people to cut the b.s.
    This is me as well. I don't know if my Te is more developed than my Ti, but I do tend to think more analytically and concretely than the typical INFJ, as well.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Every INFJ I know is in engineering and science. So they all come across as very analytical folks to me. However-it is analytical with a very practical edge, compared to the NTPs and it gets annoyed by my Te abruptness-thus making it seem more Ti than Te.

    So I dunno...perhaps Ti is still being used for analysis, but Fe uses Ti in a structured way-basically emulation of Te by Fe+Ti. Also-the INTJs will have a strong drive to actualize their Ni visions I suppose due to inferior Se. Could this also contribute to the externalization of the Ti analysis in INFJs? For instance, unlike an NTP, who might be content just to come up with an idea, an INFJ actually wants to take the idea and deliver upon it in reality, often motivated by some value investment?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Every INFJ I know is in engineering and science. So they all come across as very analytical folks to me. However-it is analytical with a very practical edge, compared to the NTPs and it gets annoyed by my Te abruptness-thus making it seem more Ti than Te.

    So I dunno...perhaps Ti is still being used for analysis, but Fe uses Ti in a structured way-basically emulation of Te by Fe+Ti. Also-the INTJs will have a strong drive to actualize their Ni visions I suppose due to inferior Se. Could this also contribute to the externalization of the Ti analysis in INFJs? For instance, unlike an NTP, who might be content just to come up with an idea, an INFJ actually wants to take the idea and deliver upon it in reality, often motivated by some value investment?
    I am curious if Fe just like Te isnt really big on stepping outside of its realm. Te being logic and Fe being feeling. Where as Ti and Fi functions are more likely to be applied outside of their realm in a unique, novel way to accomplish things.

  10. #10
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    It is very easy to mistake an "analytical INFJ" for an INTJ. Te and Fe do address many of the same topics in similar ways, especially such as money and resources. The interesting part is that when one has the opportunity to delve down to a deeper level, one starts to find divergent motivations for very similar decisions, that the Fe motivations will be much more people-oriented (that people work well together, for example) and that the logic is more driven by a Ti need for consistency than a Te need for functionality.

    There is a theory (and some controversy that doesn't seem to exist so much any more) that one's tertiary function is opposite in attitude to one's dominant function, not the same attitude. Thus an INTJ would have tert Fe and an INFJ would have tert Te. I think this theory arises from much these same observations, that in terms of behavior and results, both being very "J", they seem to be doing the same thing. I believe, however, that looking deeper one sees more of a Te/Fi or an Fe/Ti bent that determines whether one is INTJ or INFJ.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] Do high IQ xNTx individuals use a dominant mix of Ne Ni Te Ti in no specific order?
    By EnnisPreit in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 03:34 PM
  2. Is existential crisis a problem at higher levels of consciousness?
    By Jarrod in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-25-2017, 06:57 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Communication Problems in an INFJ & ESFP Friendship
    By CourageousKitten in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 05:22 AM
  4. Do people with higher level of arrogance over compensate
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO