User Tag List

First 223031323334 Last

Thread: Ne/Ni Conflicts

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    So he kept pulling the ol' Ni double-shifting with you instead of replacing, adding or removing components to create a new perspective.
    It's the classic switcharoo, where we secretly, in our heads, alter the meanings of words [and hence the entire framework of the discussion] other people use, and then use that modified definition on them--without them noticing until it's too late!
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Example: NTPs have ruined philosophy.

The western conceptual analysis version of philosophy is so dominated by NTP style cogitating that one can actually identify large chunks of philosophical and logical tradition with cognitive functions.

Even possible worlds can be found in philosophical logic. Freaking Alvin Plantinga if not invented them, then at least popularised them. They're used for working out such esoteric philosophical problems as free will and the existence of god. And he has NTP beard,

so let's just take it for granted that possible worlds are an Ne thing, shall we? Good.

Okay. As far as I recall from undergrad philontpeee, possible worlds by themselves aren't that special. One requires some bridge between worlds. It was a semantic operator? I forget. But possible worlds make an appearance in semantics for logic anyway, and there needs to be some... what, I forget? Degree of similarity between worlds? Degree of syntactic similarity?

Bah, whatever!

Anyway, see? The objective element linking possibilities.
    People like Alvin Plantinga have ruined philosophy, which is sad for such an old branch of human inquiry. For me, philosophy is not all navel-gazing, which is what these people are promoting. It's meant to help others who may need it the most, especially when they're in a crisis. It's meant to be a starting point for how we find out about the world and ourselves. It's meant to remind us of the things we take for granted, and in the process allow us to do things in new ways. [Looks like my Ni's showing here.]
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_lK7_b_9XU"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    It's the classic switcharoo, where we secretly, in our heads, alter the meanings of words [and hence the entire framework of the discussion] other people use, and then use that modified definition on them--without them noticing until it's too late!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

heißt das du hast den Satz von ihr kapiert ?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    heißt das du hast den Satz von ihr kapiert ?
    I've had Ni users do that to me more than once...it seems unsportsmanlike to a Ti/Ne user, but I see the advantages of having that flexibility.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

musste mir mal erklären in ner ruhigen Minute; für mich war schon die Grammatik des Satzes der sichere Tod

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    People like Alvin Plantinga have ruined philosophy, which is sad for such an old branch of human inquiry. For me, philosophy is not all navel-gazing, which is what these people are promoting. It's meant to help others who may need it the most, especially when they're in a crisis. It's meant to be a starting point for how we find out about the world and ourselves. It's meant to remind us of the things we take for granted, and in the process allow us to do things in new ways. [Looks like my Ni's showing here.]
    Thing is, we needed philosophy until we figured out the scientific method. At that point, we don't just have possible answers, we have testable and predictive answers. There is a reason most studies of the history of science start with philosophy, move to mathematics, start combining them with a dash of esotericism, and then begins to look familiar around the 17th Century.

All those other questions? They figured it out pretty much since humans have had consciousness - do to others as you would have them do to you. The rest of the commentary only exists for the sake of those with too little self-confidence in their assessment of this principle.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    So Ni's the con-man who sometimes helps? That's odd.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Well, this is what debating Ni sometimes looks like to the outsider.
    It is a skill. The rest dependso how you decide to use it. You can use it to understand and create or to pull a fast one on your audience. Your choice.
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari