• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne/Ni Conflicts

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
So Ni's the con-man who sometimes helps? That's odd.

Intuition is an irrational function; like sensing, it does what it does for no real reason.

Ni pulls tricks by using Fe or Te to protect itself and it's momentary fleeting thoughts, that's the nature of it.

So it can at the same time appear as a conman but actually be doing it because it wants to help. Fancy that.

Biggest problem with Ne/Ni conflicts

Ne likes people by showering them with attention
Ni likes people by giving them space...

Uhho!

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Intuition is an irrational function; like sensing, it does what it does for no real reason.

Ni pulls tricks by using Fe or Te to protect itself and it's momentary fleeting thoughts, that's the nature of it.

So it can at the same time appear as a conman but actually be doing it because it wants to help. Fancy that.

Uhho!

Too true. But why do we speak of Ni as something that "does" something? Is it more like a background than an active 'agent' to our daily cognitive activities? From what I can tell, Ni is a background, not an active agent.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Too true. But why do we speak of Ni as something that "does" something? Is it more like a background than an active 'agent' to our daily cognitive activities? From what I can tell, Ni is a background, not an active agent.

It's both. One can perceive both by "being aware" and by "looking for something." The former is passive, the latter is active. When an INTJ "looks for something", it will tend to be an an "Ni way."

InvisibleJim

Permabanned

Both, Intuition is just like sensing.

As a congitive process Sensing perceives the environment and randomly works out what it likes and doesn't like 'I like blue!' is a sensing phenomenon, there is no rational reason for it. When advanced to it's conclusions the sensing functions can, for example find uumlaus avatar very alluring or say identify a beautiful piece of music.

Similarly intuition does the same thing, it does what it does for no better reason other than LIKE. But when applied to the coherency of ideas and what they notionally represent. There is no reason to especially 'like' the idea of a circle, but it is very pleasant and wholesome especially when used to relate to other aspects of geometry. To it's advanced conclusion intuition can dive into spontaneously liking 'ways' of operating, almost like modes of living for the mind.

Attitude is important because it regards the sharing aspects.

Extrovert intuition acts like a natural swap shop for intuitions looking to explore the ideas it identifies and likes; it requires a fixed internal perspective (Ti-Fi) to school it in the value of those ideas and to make sure those ideas which it is travelling through align.

Conversely introverted intuition finds the idea it likes and sticks to it. It requires a fixed external perspective (Te-Fe) to keep those sacrosanct ideas stable. It also learns about how to explore the world of ideas by manipulating the environment.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Uhho!

QFT

learning how to handle this in a relationship is challenging, though rewarding.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I wonder...

Ni people, when you directly focus attention on the outside world, do you find it to be without meaning? Is it all just so much accident and mishap? Right in the moment, it's attractive and solid, but it doesn't even really count as anything.

And Ne people, the world's chock full of substance, isn't it? Out there, when you really look at it full on, there's just *so much* that could be, isn't there?

/wild_guess
/artificial_distinction
/end_of_days

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Who? Me.

And yo' momma.

Plus it's a sort of obvious tool for bridging the gap, if true. A decoder ring.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@ kalach, true. good deduction. induction. fuck, i never remember which is which.

you know what i mean.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
People look at different things differently. There's no real way you're ever going to "get" it. It's better, then, just to listen, than try and figure it out.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Listen to what, the tone and the pitch?

Heh, I crack me up.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that in my case Ni/Ne conflicts are actually more of a Ne/Te or Ni/Si conflicts.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Heh, I crack me up.

Seriously. INTJs can't possibly be expected to be aware of anything physical, or in any way involving the physical world. :)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Heh, I crack me up.

Everyone chooses words for a reason, even if that reason is hidden to them. You can learn a lot by just trying to figure that out.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I know, 'omie.

I'm just pointing out that you're extolling virtues primarily associated with extroverting perception.

Technically, the claim that there is some meaning other than the overt to things and processes and actions is, it would seem, NOT specific to a given orientation, but the way you're expressing it suggests something that needs action to prompt it. "Listen", "Learn a lot just by [figuring out the reason for words used]"... etc. Moments, prompts, e. All the substance is "out there" waiting to be found.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funny how people do that, isn't it? "My way is the right way, because it's my way."

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, they should take a step back and consider the overall implication of their actions.

:cheese:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I know, 'omie.

I'm just pointing out that you're extolling virtues primarily associated with extroverting perception.

Technically, the claim that there is some meaning other than the overt to things and processes and actions is, it would seem, NOT specific to a given orientation, but the way you're expressing it suggests something that needs action to prompt it. "Listen", "Learn a lot just by [figuring out the reason for words used]"... etc. Moments, prompts, e. All the substance is "out there" waiting to be found.

Now, you wanna get real analytical? I was trying to be nice there, and get you out of your own world for a moment, because you're simply not getting what I'm saying. Adam Savage's catchphrase is supposed to be a joke, after all, not a way of life - though if you want to use it that way, feel free. Just don't expect us to accept you for it.

Isn't Ni supposed to be good at seeing the unseen behind the bare sensory data? What part of that is incompatible with listening and figuring out what's meant, be it consciously or subconsciously? For example, let's take a look at what you previously wrote:

I wonder...

Ni people, when you directly focus attention on the outside world, do you find it to be without meaning? Is it all just so much accident and mishap? Right in the moment, it's attractive and solid, but it doesn't even really count as anything.

And Ne people, the world's chock full of substance, isn't it? Out there, when you really look at it full on, there's just *so much* that could be, isn't there?

/wild_guess
/artificial_distinction
/end_of_days

First of all, let's look at the juxtaposition of the two thoughts. The Ni-targeted thought dismisses what you seem to believe is important from an Ne perspective, while the Ne-targeted comment asserts that the rest of us are clearly silly for not seeing the "substance" in reality. You may object that this is not what you intended, but guess what - that's what you said. So, it strikes me as just a mite hypocritical to jump on me for "extolling the virtues" of extraversion. Or is that kind of consistency too "restraining" for you?

I'll put it this way - it's not that you know something without proof. That's perfectly fine; I get those kinds of hunches all the freakin' time. The issue is that you're seemingly proud that you don't "need" proof. And then, when the rest of us call you out for being full of shit, you hide behind the supposed esotericism of Ni, instead of owning up to the idea that you might be wrong on the subject, instead of admitting that the conception "works for [you]" and 99% of the time has no basis in reality, and pointing to that 1% as reason that we should bow to your overweening intellect.

So, when I say "listen to others," it's not because I believe extraverted perception is the end-all, be-all of things, it's because those people know a hell of a lot more about the world as they conceive it than you do from your own perception. Your Ni will always be deficient if you don't have fuel to work with, and that fuel is the way others perceive the world. So, for crying out loud, listen!

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Seriously. INTJs can't possibly be expected to be aware of anything physical, or in any way involving the physical world. :)

So you mean we're always up in the clouds? Seriously...it can't be that bad, can it?