• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Function Examples

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I came across a particular video which seemed to me to be a good (and visible) example of (somewhat extreme) Ne.

Robin Williams attempting to explain his thought process

And so, I was wondering, are there similar examples to be found for the other extraverted functions?

This would help a lot towards understanding them, and more specifically, how they appear.

(If possible, the introverted functions too, but seeing as they are much less visible, I can imagine it would be difficult to demonstrate them so clearly.)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have long been wondering what was going on in Robin Williams' mind! :smile:
So that's Ne?
He's extraverting the connections his mind is making?

Interesting that props helped him.

I was surprised that he seemed so shy as far as not being entirely comfortable with the praise and attention, sort of self-conscious.

He certainly seemed P in his ability to jump from one subject to the next.

My first impression was that he might be ENTP, then as I watched him, I wondered if he might be S.

I also wonder if he doesn't have ADD or something related.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Robin Williams is most likely an ENFP.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
OOOh. Good thread! I'll have to watch that video, but for more examples of Ne, read any WRITING by Gary Larson. It is also worth mentioning that his main generative process for coming up with those things is extraverted intuition.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hololy crap. Ne out the ass. I always knew he was ENFP, but that's still impressive. A dozen or so (not particularly hilarious IMO but still funny enough) impromptu acts from a single object.

Bravo.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like Robin Williams better as an actor than as a comedian.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Lol, guys, I didn't mean this to be a discussion about Robin Williams - he's just so overly Ne that it's pretty easy to see (and recognise). :)

Does anyone know of any similar examples of any other Cognitive Function?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
...but Robin Williams is great! :D

Now I'm getting all fluffy. ;)

What would you say about Bette Midler's type? She is a bit similar to R.Williams.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
;) actually, if you've ever been in the presence of two ESxPs feeding off of each other you could be able to see him as an S as well! :devil:

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Brilliant debate (when and why on earth did these kinds of debates turn into the mockery we call "debates" nowadays?). And yes, they both seem very Ti-Ne.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
They both look like their emotions aren't really invested in the debate. Either high Ti or low Fe.

I'm going with high Ti. Buckley seems more E than Chomskey.

I'm still trying to figure out what they're talking about, but I guess I probably won't be able to piece it all together without the prerequisite historic knowledge. Oh well.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
;) actually, if you've ever been in the presence of two ESxPs feeding off of each other you could be able to see him as an S as well! :devil:

?????????
?????????
?????????
?????????

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm going with high Ti. Buckley seems more E than Chomskey.

Agreed. I was considering Ne-Ti, but even if he's more extroverted, he still strikes me as an introvert.

I'm still trying to figure out what they're talking about, but I guess I probably won't be able to piece it all together without the prerequisite historic knowledge. Oh well.

Though the subject was American interventionism, I'm pretty sure the underlying debate is the Vietnam war, and probably takes place pre-1970 judging from the opinions and some historical references. (I could be wrong on that one, but if I were to guess a year for the debate, I'd my intuition says 1967 or 68.)

nemo

Enneagram
<3
How about Richard Feynman as an example of Ne-Ti? Just to contrast with Buckley & Chomsky above and possibly Robin Williams as Ne-Fi.

Richard Feynman on Uncertainty and Doubt

I think there are some subtle differences. Feynman doesn't seem so tied to mental models and has a very clear "discover Nature without any predisposition to how it works" attitude. That's certainly one of the biggest themes that separates me from my INTP friends.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Carebear - the year of the Chomsky-Buckley debate is actually 1969, so you were pretty close.

Nemo - Good links! Thanks for those. There is a noticeable difference between Feynman and the others - especially how he starts to go down one particular line of thought then goes 'No, nevermind, let's not go there' seems pretty indicative of dominant Ne (with Ti regulating/guiding it).

Also, yeah, like you said - he seems curious about the way things work, and eager to find out how it does, but not as strictly focused on the pure pursuit of logic the way an INTP might.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Carebear - the year of the Chomsky-Buckley debate is actually 1969, so you were pretty close.

Cool! It sounded to me like the Vietnam war wasn't too far progressed yet, and they were talking about US dealings in Greece (1967?) as if it was rather current affairs, so I thought it would be late 60's.