• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you identify more with your MBTI type or your Enneagram type?

Do you identify more with your MBTI type or your Enneagram type?

• Total voters

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
enneagram gives a much more holistic view.
(Especially if you factor in tritype)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI when I'm making decisions or forming opinions (in which my enneagram seems to largely affect anyway). So yeah, Enneagram hands down.

I'm surprised MBTI survived in this poll, let alone won. But what can you expect from a forum that's only new to the enneagram.

trancemode

Enneagram
5w4
Probably the Enneagram by a slight margin, depending though on whose type descriptions I go by. I first came across the Enneagram in Helen Palmer’s book, and tentatively typed myself as a Four. Then I read Riso’s descriptions and identified more with his sexual 5w4 subtype. According to Riso, the 5w4 subtype is often missing in the exceedingly cerebral Five descriptions by other authors, which does seem to be the case, and thus 5w4s often mistype as Fours (though I wonder if there’s any such thing as “mistyping”, given the subjective nature of typology). / INFP, on the other hand, isn’t totally off the mark in describing me. But in terms of dominant functions, I relate more to my socionics type, IEI: Ni-Fe as defined by socionics, which btw should be viewed as a separate typology rather than a variation of the mbti or a neo Jungian system.

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am an INTP 5w4 and identify strongly with my MBTI type; however, I do like that the Enneagram takes it a step further with the wings because I think it encompasses the nuances of personality a bit more.

I don't think of them as being separate...in a way I think of them both together making up a more complete portrait of my basic personality.

G

Ginkgo

Enneagram.

I like enneagram because there's a sort of symmetry about it, not only in the gram itself and all the 9 points, but each individual point as well. That symmetry provides a point and counterpoint, providing a paradox. We are 2 in 1, not 1 in 2. I suppose the 8 function model has that symmetry as well, but to a person who's trying to define their inner-world, rational,irrational,feeling,thinking,intuition, and sensing are more ambiguously placed in a particular order because those drivers are more readily seen in each individual, whereas enneagram drivers tend to be more transparent.

T

ThatGirl

I identify with things that have nothing to do with either. Everyone laughs at me, but probably I identify more with the levels of consciousness, and moral development. Enneagram kind of reminds me of the emotional MBTI.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's cool how the enneagram all fits together, but I think it's overly reductionistic, unless you add in all the 'sx/sp/so' stuff which makes it too cluttered. The 'stress & disintegration' concept is badass, but I just think there's more going on under the surface in the MBTI model. It deconstructs how patterns of behavior actually form instead of saying 'you're a this-&-that so you do this-&-this'.

But partly I dislike the Enneagram because it categorizes me as a 5 sometimes & I think that's a shitty category. :frown:

Critical Hit

MBTI Type
ENTP
I dont quite get the Enneagram.

If there was some kind of 5w7 or 7w5 I would fit perfectly in to it.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

5 and 7 are right next to each other on the integration/disintegration line, which means 5s under stress will start to behave like unhealthy 7s and 7s when relaxed and in control will start to behave like healthy 5s. (Of course, this doesn't mean 5 is a better type. At their best they will start to become more like healthy 8s, etc.)
:)

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5 and 7 are right next to each other on the integration/disintegration line, which means 5s under stress will start to behave like unhealthy 7s and 7s when relaxed and in control will start to behave like healthy 5s. (Of course, this doesn't mean 5 is a better type. At their best they will start to become more like healthy 8s, etc.)
:)

Yeah, that's the neatest thing about the Enneagram, how it models the whole universe of human personality as an interconnected cycle, whereas the MBTI can create these categorical divisions that get people fighting & frustrated about things that aren't even tangibly real (like T as something diametrically opposed to F, etc).

jixmixfix

Permabanned
It's cool how the enneagram all fits together, but I think it's overly reductionistic, unless you add in all the 'sx/sp/so' stuff which makes it too cluttered. The 'stress & disintegration' concept is badass, but I just think there's more going on under the surface in the MBTI model. It deconstructs how patterns of behavior actually form instead of saying 'you're a this-&-that so you do this-&-this'.

But partly I dislike the Enneagram because it categorizes me as a 5 sometimes & I think that's a shitty category. :frown:

Hey don't be dissing all the 5's around here. :) 5 makes everyone else feel like a pansy. (except maybe 3's)

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think both together are necessary, but I was most grateful to find enneagram. Enneagram answered so many questions in my head that mbti failed to answer. I think enneagram describes me better.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

1) 7 grows to 5
2) 5 disentegrates to 7
3) you relate to 7 because you're EP
4) you relate to 5 because you're NT

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hey don't be dissing all the 5's around here. :) 5 makes everyone else feel like a pansy. (except maybe 3's)

What I hate most about it is that it's called "the Investigator"... you just get a picture of yourself walking around with a magnifying glass checking to make sure everything's still there & nothing vanished in your absence from the area :dry: :unsure:.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
What I hate most about it is that it's called "the Investigator"... you just get a picture of yourself walking around with a magnifying glass checking to make sure everything's still there & nothing vanished in your absence from the area :dry: :unsure:.

yeah it's a weird name I in-vision the investigator type being more SJ. The name doesn't match the description of type 5's.