User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you identify more with your MBTI type or your Enneagram type?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • I identity more with my MBTI type

61 38.61%
  • I identity more with my Enneagram type

55 34.81%
  • I identify with them equally

42 26.58%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

MTBI seems to me to be a method devised to predict people's preferences for the purposes of career counseling.
    I don't understand the purpose of the enneagram.
    Could someone recommend a good book on enneagram ? What advantages are there to knowing about your enneagram versus MTBI ?
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

My perception of the two is that MBTI is more p-ish, informative without conclusion of who you might be which lends to further discussion and Enneagram is more J-ish hence more directive and conclusive, where it tells you not only who you are but what you should aspire to within a Fe-based society.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It seems the Enneagram is more about how one feels, while the MBTI is about how one thinks. I would not be surprised if F types preferred the Enneagram and T types the MBTI.
    I've had similar thoughts myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Would you say that either one has more/better free resources available on the internet? That could be a catalyst for discussion... of course, lack of resources elsewhere could potentially lead to more discussion here, as well, but I'm not sure which effect would be stronger...
    You're not far off the mark, Z. The difference between what is available online and what is in books can vary greatly. People are having discussions based on different information sources which frequently conflict and contradict. How can people possibly come to any form of mutual understanding? I have several books on the enneagram that go much deeper into type than what is online. So much so, people might kick the type right out of their profile after reading the books.

As far as conflicting sources of information for MBTI type, imagine an online source using Lenore Thomson's name in its title (The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki) posting information which completely contradicts Lenore's comments in her book.

Excerpt from wiki:

For example, Jack Groverland, presumably ENTJ, preaches to "be still" and "tune in to what the greater intelligence of the universe wants you to do." A great many ENTJs seem to preach primarily that reasoning and intellect have limits, and it's critical to learn to perceive in a direct way, not limiting yourself to what you can prove "logically", but tuning in to the totality of everything through a sort of direct perception. A favorite preaching of ENFJs and ENTJs is that you are "responsible" for creating your reality by the kind of attitude that you choose: the world isn't doing things to you, you are self-selecting for certain kinds of things to happen to you by the way that you assign meaning to things and lead yourself to perceive one way and not another. This all sounds very much like articulate descriptions of introverted intuition--straight from the horse's mouth, just it's these horses' secondary function.

http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exe...outh?version=8
    Clearly, Ni is not something that is ignored or undervalued in that excerpt.
    If anything, the excerpt suggests Ni is valued more than Te - hence the title of the article: Preaching the Secondary.

Now, contrast that excerpt from the online wiki with this comment from Lenore Thomson, in her book:

ENTJ's are more likely to deny introverted intuition in themselves.

The first information source paints a picture of, if anything, putting more emphasis on Ni than Te. But in Lenore's book, she basically claims an ENTJ would deny Ni's very existence. Talk about conflicting and contradicting information!

It was Lenore's book which was at the heart of nearly every argument I had with a certain ex-member. This is why having discussions can, at times, border on the absurd. We have no way of knowing what source(s) people are using to spark their comments. If people are operating using sources which conflict and contradict, discussions will then have the potential to emulate that same conflict.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I can't find the source of this, but I'm sure I've heard it said that mbti is about the conscious- whereas the enneagram is more about the unconscious. If that's true, it'd make sense that there's less discussion about it. The unconscious is harder to tap into and discuss. At any rate, I definitely see the enneagram as touching more subjective nerves than mbti.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Would you say that either one has more/better free resources available on the internet? That could be a catalyst for discussion... of course, lack of resources elsewhere could potentially lead to more discussion here, as well, but I doubt that effect would be stronger...

Also, perhaps there is something about the MBTI system itself that leads to more discussion? The enneagram system does seem to be a little bit simpler, if you ask me... (I might be wrong, though, since I am more familiar with MBTI.)
    I'm not sure about a disparity in resources.

I don't know if it's really accurate to say the Enneagram is simpler than the MBTI (though I think it does have more of a veneer than the MBTI, and one that makes it appear simpler than it is). I do think it is more complicated to talk about what the MBTI focuses on, because it is more abstract, harder to observe, and requires more of a sort of logical percision than most are used to needing. I think it's very easy for people to relate to what the Enneagram is about (even if they don't relate any of the types to themselves).

EDIT: New entirely different proposal: While there are differing ideas about the Enneagram, the differing schools, if you will, are not nearly as different from each other as the different ideas regarding the MBTI. I find so much of what is said about the MBTI on this forum seems to be a strange and dysfunctional hybrid of the cognitive model and the temperamental model. This should make the MBTI very confusing for a lot of people, more confusing than the Enneagram, and therefore harder to relate to.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    9w1

I think I identify more with my MBTI type which is INTP . I seem to come out as either a type 9 or a type 5 . Still not quite sure which I am. But I prefer the MBTI theres more types which you can identify with.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Tish211 View Post
    I think I identify more with my MBTI type which is INTP . I seem to come out as either a type 9 or a type 5 . Still not quite sure which I am. But I prefer the MBTI theres more types which you can identify with.
    I think that's interesting, Tish211.

I too am INFP and my enneagram results indicate type 5 with 9 a close second. So there's definitely a consistency there.

I wasn't in tune with the enneagram so I have recently taken the test, read about the types and watch youtube videos of people who are my type.
    People in the videos make statements I would find myself Making all the time. its funny, I consider myself a warm, caring person, but as I watch my type in video, I see an aloof coldness to the personality and it helps understand why people do not take me as a warm person. Its all inside.
    Mark Twain

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Enneagram experts say/write that we are born with our personality prewired, yet they indicate that my type is often found in persons who have had to deal with an unsafe environment at home. Am I missing something or are the two ideas contradictory?
    Mark Twain

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Josephized_Joe View Post
    Enneagram experts say/write that we are born with our personality prewired, yet they indicate that my type is often found in persons who have had to deal with an unsafe environment at home. Am I missing something or are the two ideas contradictory?
    They are contradictory, but I've never seen one Enneagram analyst propose both type from birth and type by upbringing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.