User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 72

Thread: NiFi Loop

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    What's the meaning of meaning, as it relates to your question?
    oh I see. hehehe. Ti meaning vs Fi meaning.

  2. #22
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Thanks for the more detailed explanations. This doesn't sound like what I'm experiencing so I'll expand on it.

    Imagine Ni attacking the internal database of values that Fi sources from, negating every value by shifting perspectives. Imagine Fi having nothing to source from, that everything previously valued, has no value or overarching truth to it. Fi has nothing to anchor to, since nothing is true. It's all about Ni's shifting perspective.

    The above is opposite of what's been explained, as it relates to the conspiracy theorist. Neither Ni or Fi has any truths, only perceptions and perspectives.
    i've experienced a bad bad bad Fi/Ni loop. paranoia and avoidant disorders a plenty. i found i balanced on the loop by focusing on my secondary function, Se. but i'd say it went like this... Fi relied on Ni, Ni became analytical of Fi. Fi fell deeper and deeper into a rabbit hole. Ni fed Fi despair, eventually.

    there's a great thread on typology on all the unhealthy loops for each type. wish i could recall what it was called...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I don't know about this "loop" business, but shitty Ni typically looks like someone who sees a misguided personal significance in things. They may think there are patterns in the chaos where there aren't any. Even worse, they may be further convinced by their own perceptions in light of clear, objective evidence. Notice how conspiracy theorists often base their theories on symbols, thinking that these symbols hold some sort of universal, and perhaps malicious connotation.

    Exhibit A: YOU MINDLESS SLAVES!!
    yes, yes. been there... done that.

    however, my INFP boyfriend of the time was experiencing the same. perhaps we fed each other the paranoia... but if he were experiencing a loop, his would have been an Fi/Si loop, correct? but it really seemed as though he were relying on Ne more... so perhaps that's just how INFP's are??
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  3. #23
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Good point, and that makes sense as to how you're describing it too. You can't be certain of Fi's conclusions simply because Ni can imagine perspectives where those conclusions are inconsistent with themselves or in error. So I assume one may feel lost.
    Many of my journal entry's from the time period of my Fi/Ni looping would simply have the word, "Lost." I've been curious to go back and reread many of the journals i had from that time... i feel as though they'd look like a schizophrenic's diary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Yes, I do feel lost, especially being a J. Looking for meaning and not finding it, since there are no truths. Don't know how you Ps stand this!
    that's not necessarily the life of a P. P's have "truths."
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  4. #24
    From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    In retrospect to my previous post, I don't think that loosing one's temper fits the NiFi loop definition that's been given here. Perhaps a better real-life example of an NiFi loop is when I strongly believed deep inside my heart that a guy I was seeing wasn't right for me and that I couldn't envision a future with him. Conversely this would be the case with meeting the right person, and I end up feeling that deep down inside the person is right for me and I can envision a future with him, can see myself being with him for the rest of my life. Perhaps this might also apply if I feel that the guy has met or exceeded my expectations of who I wish to be with for the rest of my life.... the guy shows positive qualities, therefore he has to be the one. There's a chance I may be incorrect with this interpretation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Johari/Nohari

    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche




  5. #25
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    however, my INFP boyfriend of the time was experiencing the same. perhaps we fed each other the paranoia... but if he were experiencing a loop, his would have been an Fi/Si loop, correct? but it really seemed as though he were relying on Ne more... so perhaps that's just how INFP's are??
    Well, just because someone is prone to noticing patterns doesn't mean that those patterns aren't significant. Futhermore, just because someone has a strong preference for their tertiary, or prefers 2 extraverted/ 2 introverted functions over the rest doesn't mean that they are in an "unhealthy loop".

    If you are implying that all INFPs tend to see conspiracies left and right in some sort of paranoid delusion, then I have to disagree with you.

  6. #26

    Default

    Thanks for your suggestions Udog and Mystic. For everyone else, thanks for your insights and experiences. I'm continuing to read, to try to understand this better on an intuitive level.

    IndyAnnaJoan, I've tried to search and it pulled up so many threads that mention loops but don't go indepth into them. If you ever recall the title or key words to search by, please share.

  7. #27
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    ...

    the message that is intended or expressed or signified; "what is the meaning of this sentence"; "the significance of a red traffic light"; "the signification of Chinese characters"; "the import of his announcement was ambiguous"
    Okay, so you are talking about meaning as the message that is being expressed, rather than the implication or significance of it.

    In the case of your question, I would start by saying that she packaged her thoughts into a language that other people have been trained to understand (English). I received those thoughts when I read her statement, but I still had to recreate them into my own thoughts.

    So it's both, and it's in the recreation where communication issues can arise. Everyone saw the same sentence, but it's possible that no one really read it as the exact same thing.

  8. #28
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,020

    Default

    This might be an example of a negative loop.

    This situation is all wrong (Ni) - I am being treated unfairly (Fi) - I think they are out to get me (Ni) - Poor me (Fi) - X terrible thing is going to happen (Ni) - None of it matters because this culture or society's values are screwed up anyway (Fi), etc.

    The key aspect of the scenario is the auxiliary function (say Te) isn't used as a filter in the middle. The person is flipping between two introverted functions without being aligned with the reality of the external world. They are in their own mind flipping between these two introverted perspectives.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  9. #29
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions Udog and Mystic. For everyone else, thanks for your insights and experiences. I'm continuing to read, to try to understand this better on an intuitive level.

    IndyAnnaJoan, I've tried to search and it pulled up so many threads that mention loops but don't go indepth into them. If you ever recall the title or key words to search by, please share.
    Definitely will!


    Also, Highlander--that example is perfect and spot on! It's exactly what I, myself, experienced.

    Mystic--i wasn't making general assumptions about all INFP's. it's more so that the period in which i was with my INFP was a rather confusing one.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  10. #30
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Futhermore, just because someone has a strong preference for their tertiary, or prefers 2 extraverted/ 2 introverted functions over the rest doesn't mean that they are in an "unhealthy loop".
    I disagree. Everyone needs the balance of their introverted and extroverted functions.

    Highlander posted a great example of the particular loop in question, the Fi/Ni loop. When the secondary function isn't there, the primary and tertiary feed one another in negative ways. One needs a route out of self, be it Te or Se.

    The same would happen with someone relying on only two extroverted functions. ESFP for example. If they only relied on Se and Te, they'd feel completely disconnected from self. I'm not sure exactly how Se and Te would play out against one another... but I do know that something would be missing in the picture... one's value system and connection to one's feelings. And if you're an ESFP, having Fi as secondary would be quite vital.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :wubbie:
  • :smile:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink:
  • :cry:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :dry:
  • :doh:
  • :unsure:
  • :shock:
  • :huh:
  • :shrug:

Similar Threads

  1. Is this dominant Si? or Ti? or Ti-Si loop?
    By Such Irony in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
  2. How do you get out of the Ti loop of doom?
    By Intricate Mystic in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM
  3. Fe/Se loop???
    By Arclight in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 08:35 PM
  4. Ne Te loop...tell me about it.
    By angelhair45 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
  5. T/F loop
    By Poki in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO