• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Easy way to tell S or N?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ns following trends for pro teams? Really?

I'm having a really hard time swallowing this garbage, I mean seriously.

Your failure to relate doesn't make it wrong, I've gone through obsessive about footy phases; playing, watching, strategising and much more. Unfortunately for your stance I'm sure about my NTness. Seems you view sports as a shallow interest and that clashes with your view of Ns. Sorry to disappoint.

Sunny Ghost

I'm not interested in extremely "unanswerable" questions either. History is important to me though because there is meaning to be found (rather than answers, in the sense you're talking about). And some people, although rare, actually have done their little part in using this kind of information to try to help others too. Take Joseph Campbell, for instance. Granted, he wasn't an archaeologist, but a student of history/mythology. Similar subject material. Yet, his own books were more like inspirational self-help titles rather than strictly historical books. His work influenced other writers too, who in turn have tried to help others learn from the past. And you never know where the trail leads. We wouldn't have even some simple pleasures, like some entertaining movies, without the work of archaeologists, historians, or interpreters like Campbell. George Lucas was influenced by him and carried some of those ideas when writing Star Wars. But it all started with someone caring about the past.

oh no, i completely agree. and i've always been fascinated with history and archaeology. but more me, i ultimately decided i wouldn't be taking it as a career path because of the reasons i listed. i still love reading history books, or books on archaeology and trying to decipher the past, and watching various specials on television about these topics. it sparks my own imagination as well as fills my curiosity of how modern human came to be... but i just couldn't do those types of careers for a living. it would leave me feeling lost, ultimately, as i need work that requires me to feel instant tangible gratification... make sense? and not necessarily in the monetary means... but rather that i see that what i am doing makes a difference now. so for me, something that's more practical would be the medical field, counseling or environmental sciences. and i'd say both of these would be common for anyone that's a sensor as well as a Fi.

i wonder now, if the instant gratification part is more of an Se quality, vs Si?
my best friend, an ESTJ, got her B.A. in history and is about to start her masters in history as well...

KDude

ultimately, as i need work that requires me to feel instant tangible gratification... make sense?.

Sure, it makes sense.. Not for me necessarily, but I wouldn't hold that against you. Everyone has their own thing. If I chose a career that was helping people, I'd probably be better off with discussing ideas or trends or maybe counseling. I might not even see direct results, but they still have an affect. I would help people in a tangible way if necessary (I mean, I recognize when that's the option I'm given), but I don't understand having a preference for it.

Sigh. This goes without mentioning that I'm not that service oriented to begin with. I only have so much time for others. That might be clouding the issue.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why does anyone need to determine if someone is N or S? Either you're interested in them and what they say or you're not.
I know a guy who loves to talk about hotwings and beer. Seems pretty 'S' by the OP.

He is also an aerospace engineer and earns $200K/year. How do you explain this?

ISTx

I'm really perplexed that you people are shocked that people with high paying jobs are S. People are jumping all over me - not because I said that Ns don't like sports, but because I think it's very very doubtful an N would talk about sports "more than anything" - but I think this kind of thing is much more ridiculous, not realizing that many engineers are STs, saying someone was INFJ because they wrote raps, and when MacGuffin said there were "a lot of smart people in sports"...no really? There are smart sensors? Who knew!

KDude

This may come off shallow or sexist, but I personally don't even know that many females, period, who like sports. As far as I can tell, most of the women I know are S, but the number of ones who would talk sports a lot are a rare breed anyhow. And the ones that stick out aren't diehard fans, but more like "home team" fans. So even on this end, I can find a lot of sensors who don't care. It's not type related.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's like you guys are intentionally not reading what I'm saying. It's getting old.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT LIKING OR NOT LIKING SPORTS, IT IS THE ASSERTION THAT EVEN WHEN N'S LIKE SPORTS IT IS NOT "ALL THEY WILL TALK ABOUT" THAT'S ABSURD, JUST AS ABSURD AS SAYING "I KNOW THIS INFJ WOMAN AND ALL SHE DOES IS TALK ABOUT MAKE-UP AND CLEANING PRODUCTS" AND I CONTINUE TO STAND BY THIS OPINION.

Thank you.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure why you're taking this disagreement so personally. Disagreeing certainly doesn't mean we don't understand you.

You're saying it's absurd, but when we see it happening, does it mean one person theorizing trumps multiple people's real life experience? I'm not sure where that logic comes from.

Not every N is an ethereal elf, and not every S is a thuggish neanderthal. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not sure why you're taking this disagreement so personally. Disagreeing certainly doesn't mean we don't understand you.

You're saying it's absurd, but when we see it happening, does it mean one person theorizing trumps multiple people's real life experience? I'm not sure where that logic comes from.

Not every N is an ethereal elf, and not every S is a thuggish neanderthal. :)

Nobody said Ns were ethereal and Ss were neanderthals.

It's just that even an N who is interested in concrete things will inevitably be drawn, nay pressed by their own internal psyche, to discuss other more abstract things, it is part of what makes them an N.

Just like the S who likes to discuss theory will get itchy and have to go do something more concrete.

I really, really think you guys think you know more Ns than you do.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nobody said Ns were ethereal and Ss were neanderthals.

It's just that even an N who is interested in concrete things will inevitably be drawn, nay pressed by their own internal psyche, to discuss other more abstract things, it is part of what makes them an N.

Just like the S who likes to discuss theory will get itchy and have to go do something more concrete.

I really, really think you guys think you know more Ns than you do.

I still don't know why you can find the abstract in chess, but not in physical games.

KDude

One could derive enough satisfying N concepts/abstractions from sports that make them keep exploring it. I think it's up to the individual to see it as concrete or not. Shit, I think Phil Jackson, for example, is as good a contender as any for an INTJ. He talks about a lot of subjects, but I'm pretty sure he thinks about sports a lot too. Tiger Woods might be INTP or INFP (maybe a T for the closet freak tendencies. heh).

Jaguar

Troy Polamalu once described football as "spiritual" and "poetry in motion." Tough sensor talk, for a pro football player. :wink:

polamalu-si-cover.jpg

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Troy Polamalu once described football as "spiritual" and "poetry in motion." Tough sensor talk, for a pro football player. :wink:
I understand those statements to mean that a person feels an activity inspires and completes them - that the experience represents their own personal loftiest experiences. The external ideas don't relate as closely as the comparison of supposed internal experiences.

I think that competitive, rule-based systems are going to appeal to T. Everything that is mentioned about strategy and absorbing tons of detailed information and creating a system, are all T-based activities. The more physical or sensory the experience, the more that could mean ST, the more internal and cerebral, the more NT. I'm sure there are people who relate to sports in many different ways, but there are also activities that will tend to appeal to certain ways of thinking more than others. ST thinking would be quite strong in engineering, medicine, sports, programming, etc. These disciplines are all applied, and their success or failure is made certain and demonstrable in the concrete world. I'm sure NTs could operate well also in this areas. I suspect the main reason it is offensive to think that sports appeals somewhat more to Sensors is this underlying assumption that Sensor intelligence is less somehow. Sports can be one example of just how intuitive and inventive a concrete based system of thought can be.

In every discipline that a person absorbs every detail from every angle, whether it is sports, firefighting, programming, math, etc. a person develops intuition about that discipline because of their deep storehouse of knowledge. If that intuition is about how systems operate in the concrete world such as putting out a fire, or how the human body reacts, it would seem to align with this idea of "sensors". If their intuition is about a system that is intangible and truly abstract like theoretical physics perhaps, philosophy, etc, one that cannot be demonstrated on the field or chessboard, then the intuitive responses are based on abstract relationships.

A big problem is taking a binary view of concrete vs. abstract or Sensor vs. iNtuitive. As has been said we aren't one or the other, but each has a unique way these concepts interrelate. For some it starts with the concrete and extends into the abstract, and for others the reverse.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, patriots coach/architect bill bilicheck = intp. systems abound everywhere. systems that need improvements and updating. updating, especially when it deals with possibilities not already implemented, is a pretty awesome, perfect use of iNtuition. after all, what could we change? what might the future hold, if we were to go find it before it's already here? what could we do about that to make it even better?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Is history of strategies or trends in formations of sports really an N thing, or just an intelligent, educated SJ thing?

Lots of SJs play fantasy football. Ss do have fantasies, and can appreciate subjects that have a more academic bent (lots of doctors, lawyers, history professors = SJ, especially STJ) ...it's just that they fantasize about more tangible things, and collect facts.

ISTP makes sense too. Lots of sense. Ti theorizing about athletics.

I hope you are joking here.

Please stop speaking on behalf of my type- you consistently miss the mark.

Men like sports. Fantasy anything is a way to express your love of it, regardless if you are more about the play, the strategy, the love of the game. I'm an S and I hate talking to people who can remember every stat of every person. It makes no sense. I'm bad with names and all of that- really it's nonsense to me. I'll remember the big moments, at least.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness. Why does writing raps make someone an INFJ? WTF? Lots of rappers are STPs, most likely.

I think you guys are confused, not me. Sorry.

What are lots of rappers STP?

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
I follow football (American) and follow a team pretty closely. I know who the players are, their record, and I am knowledgeable about how they do in each game and who plays well.

I consider myself an Intuitive.

The thing is, the thing I place the least value on is the actual watching of the game. I am far more concerned with how players played, who are the weak links of the team, the strategy of how my team runs their schemes with their personal, and who could be better with better talent around them with a better supporting cast. I could never watch another actual game of football because I have other things I would rather do, but I think this is a hobby I spend a lot of time on.

I also care more about the players on an individual and personal level especially trying to figure out who cares about where they are and who is in it for a paycheck (just like how Brett Farve can't retire because he defines himself as a football player and to stop being one would be the ceasing of an identity that he has established for himself over these years).

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Chess is far more abstract and has very little to offer in terms of sensory excitement (unless you're hot for Bobby Fischer's hands), while football is quite "exciting" (to some) and not at all abstract, even though it involves some strategy.

Sure, an Intuitive person can enjoy watching sports or playing them for exercise or recreation, but I don't think that Intuitives are naturally inclined to become sports fanatics to the point of that's all they talk about...I mean, why the fuck would they? Where's the intuitive appeal to sit around and think about something concrete all day long to the point of liking this thing above all other interests?... and they aren't as good at being athletes, I would presume.

Martial arts makes more sense to me for Intuitives because it has a mind-body connection.

My husband thinks about everything... He just doesn't talk about it, because he knows it bores the hell out of me. Funny thing is, I love playing sports, but it's not my thing to sit around and talk about them. He wants to talk about it because he thinks that's what I enjoy. He doesn't talk about sports scores, he talks about the strategy on the field. Why wouldn't an intuitive like strategy?

Regardless, talking about strategy in a sport is still talking about the sport.... Which I don't do...

Hehe, and he avoids politics with me because I can get rather heated talking about it. And he doesn't like me when I'm that way. :cheese: