• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Easy way to tell S or N?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Football good :)

KDude

What do you think football will be like in 500 years, assuming that it is still around?

Lets hope that we have the Blood Bowl by then (and that we discovered a race of Orcs to play against).

wallpaperbloodbowl01144.jpg

If you're talking about football, as in "soccer", then my apologies. :cool:

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I know the classic difference between N's and S's, but my husband and I have found that we can almost always tell who is an N or S from only one conversation.

The S's will always talk about things - their cars, football, curtains, decorating, gardening, whatever they fixed last on their house and the N's will talk about people or ideas - politics, theology, who did what on the last family vacation.

Do you find this is true?

No. I'm definitely an S and I talk more about what you identify as an N. My husband who is a strong N talks more about football than anything.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I think the easiest way to figure out an N is just focus on what they are saying. N's tend to jump from subject to subject quickly. S's like talking about something in particular. Also lots of N's have zero patience with explaining something if it goes over your head. An S is more likely to explain the situation. Also N's understand generalities better. I can say something like "People who buy Hondas have mother issues." An S will make sure I know that this isn't the case for every Honda buyer. He'll point out exceptions. An N will understand that I don't mean all people who buy Hondas have mother issues, rather I've just noticed a correlation.

N's also have the ability to assume (or are lot more willing to do so). A lot of my conversations with S's go something like..

Me: Assume xyz, would that mean abc?
S: Maybe, but we don't know xyz.
Me: I know, I'm just saying, if xyz, then abc. And abc leads jkl.
S: Perhaps, but xyz isn't known yet.
Me: You suck.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the easiest way to figure out an N is just focus on what they are saying. N's tend to jump from subject to subject quickly. S's like talking about something in particular. Also lots of N's have zero patience with explaining something if it goes over your head. An S is more likely to explain the situation. Also N's understand generalities better. I can say something like "People who buy Hondas have mother issues." An S will make sure I know that this isn't the case for every Honda buyer. He'll point out exceptions. An N will understand that I don't mean all people who buy Hondas have mother issues, rather I've just noticed a correlation.

Going by that I'd be an S. :shock:

I'm always seeing the exceptions and hate it when people make sweeping generalizations even when I know they don't necessarily mean it in the literal sense.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No. I'm definitely an S and I talk more about what you identify as an N. My husband who is a strong N talks more about football than anything.

Why would a strong N talk about football more than anything? That doesn't even make sense, I'm sorry. I can see an N liking football...I know a couple of INxx who like soccer, for example, but they talk about things like politics and culture and philosophy more than anything.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Going by that I'd be an S. :shock:

I'm always seeing the exceptions and hate it when people make sweeping generalizations even when I know they don't necessarily mean it in the literal sense.

I'd chalk it up to Ti.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Why would a strong N talk about football more than anything? That doesn't even make sense, I'm sorry. I can see an N liking football...I know a couple of INxx who like soccer, for example, but they talk about things like politics and culture and philosophy more than anything.

Because MBTI doesn't measure passion. I have an INTP friend who is the dictionary definition of the type, and he's a basketball coach who loves football. In fact, that is how we met, through other friends in New Zealand who like football. He is passionate about sports, so he'll talk about sports more than anything. He just talks about them in an N kind of way (history of strategies, trends in formations etc.).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because MBTI doesn't measure passion. I have an INTP friend who is the dictionary definition of the type, and he's a basketball coach who loves football. In fact, that is how we met, through other friends in New Zealand who like football. He is passionate about sports, so he'll talk about sports more than anything. He just talks about them in an N kind of way (history of strategies, trends in formations etc.).

Is history of strategies or trends in formations of sports really an N thing, or just an intelligent, educated SJ thing?

Lots of SJs play fantasy football. Ss do have fantasies, and can appreciate subjects that have a more academic bent (lots of doctors, lawyers, history professors = SJ, especially STJ) ...it's just that they fantasize about more tangible things, and collect facts.

ISTP makes sense too. Lots of sense. Ti theorizing about athletics.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a friend who I'm pretty sure is N (infj) (he writes rap rhyme poetry stuff for fun, for god's sake!!) and he talks a lot about sports. He runs a sports league and plays a lot of sports for fun. Sports and video games are a large chunk of his life. I play soccer and volleyball and some people I've played with for years are Ns.

I'm not saying liking sports is a "stereotyped" N trait at all but I don't think it's enough to question "N-ness" on its own, either.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness. Why does writing raps make someone an INFJ? WTF? Lots of rappers are STPs, most likely.

I think you guys are confused, not me. Sorry.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness. Why does writing raps make someone an INFJ? WTF? Lots of rappers are STPs, most likely.

I think you guys are confused, not me. Sorry.

Yeah, that's why I used to love sports but then started dropping out of them one by one after it was all about "COME TO OPEN GYM 5 DAYS A WEEK, LETS GO".

And being NP I suffered a number of concussions from not being aware of surroundings.... but with NPness there is some Jedi future-movements-by-other-players-telling thing going on, which can work to your advantage.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm of the opinion that people see a bunch of Ns when there are none. IRL Ns are maybe 25% of the population, if that. I think the internet, and especially forums like these, give people the bizarre idea that Ns are all around them IRL like they are on-line.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness.

What's the difference between a team sport like American football and something like chess? Both have their obsessives that study and analyze the shit out the two games, but why is chess the egghead iNtuitive game, and football is for Sensor meatheads? Is it because one of them requires physical players?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Chess is far more abstract and has very little to offer in terms of sensory excitement (unless you're hot for Bobby Fischer's hands), while football is quite "exciting" (to some) and not at all abstract, even though it involves some strategy.

Sure, an Intuitive person can enjoy watching sports or playing them for exercise or recreation, but I don't think that Intuitives are naturally inclined to become sports fanatics to the point of that's all they talk about...I mean, why the fuck would they? Where's the intuitive appeal to sit around and think about something concrete all day long to the point of liking this thing above all other interests?... and they aren't as good at being athletes, I would presume.

Martial arts makes more sense to me for Intuitives because it has a mind-body connection.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, also I think football is more associated with "meatheads" because of all of the brain damage it can cause, and the fact that it's violent and risky, while chess requires a great deal of emotional self-control.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chess is far more abstract and has very little to offer in terms of sensory excitement (unless you're hot for Bobby Fischer's hands), while football is quite "exciting" (to some) and not at all abstract, even though it involves some strategy.

Far more abstract? It's 64 squares with the same initial starting conditions every time. You don't ever have to account for a variable like an odd bounce of the ball. Bobby Fisher believed chess at some point would be solved because of this - there would be a tree of decisions leading to the end only depending on what white piece is moved first.

You seem to have a superficial understanding of football.

Sure, an Intuitive person can enjoy watching sports or playing them for exercise or recreation, but I don't think that Intuitives are naturally inclined to become sports fanatics to the point of that's all they talk about...I mean, why the fuck would they? Where's the intuitive appeal to sit around and think about something concrete all day long to the point of liking this thing above all other interests?... and they aren't as good at being athletes, I would presume.

Martial arts makes more sense to me for Intuitives because it has a mind-body connection.

Why not dance?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dude, I'm not a dancer like that. LOL. It's not like I studied ballet six days a week and went to Julliard, or anything close to it. Even as an exotic dancer my prime motivation was money, although I think dancing is fun. I'm good at dancing, for an intuitive. I don't have moves like Britney Spears or Michael Jackson, though, let alone the kind of skills (and obsession with physical exercise every day of my life) it requires to be a professional ballerina.

I dunno, football sucks, I hate it...but to each their own. I tend to think people who are obsessed with sports TO THE EXCLUSION OF OTHER MORE ABSTRACT OR THEORETICAL INTERESTS are usually sensors. See: there's the difference...it's not that Intuitives don't like sports or even take it on as a hobby, but talking about sports twenty-four seven is fucking boring, to me it's just as boring as talking about any other physical, factual thing twenty-four seven...and likewise, sensors are usually bored by excessive talk involving theoreticals and abstractions, and are just like what the hell, why don't you want to DO something.

P.S. If Bobby Fischer didn't "solve" chess, nobody will. He was a monomaniac, that was part of the reason he was so talented. I don't think something being solvable makes it less abstract, either. Can't algebra problems be solved? Also, a lot of STJs probably also play chess ... I didn't mean to imply that it was strictly an Intuitive thing at all...you just posed the question of why football is associated with meatheads...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dude, I'm not a dancer like that. LOL. It's not like I studied ballet six days a week and went to Juliard, or anything close to it. Even as an exotic dancer my prime motivation was money, although I think dancing is fun. I'm good at dancing, for an intuitive. I don't have moves like Britney Spears or Michael Jackson, though, let alone the kind of skills (and obsession with physical exercise every day of my life) it requires to be a professional ballerina.

I dunno, football sucks, I hate it...but to each their own. I tend to think people who are obsessed with sports TO THE EXCLUSION OF OTHER MORE ABSTRACT OR THEORETICAL INTERESTS are usually sensors. See: there's the difference...it's not that Intuitives don't like sports or even take it on as a hobby, but talking about sports twenty-four seven is fucking boring, to me it's just as boring as talking about any other physical, factual thing twenty-four seven...and likewise, sensors are usually bored by excessive talk involving theoreticals and abstractions, and are just like what the hell, why don't you want to DO something.

It's fine to hate things (I loathe Wheel of Fortune!) but you can't just embody something with attributes because you hate it. The statistical analysis of sports is a deep and widening field that's changing sports currently. There are some very smart and theoretical people involved in sports. The stereotypical "Hit 'em harder! Walk it off you pussy!" coach only survives now at the lower levels. They're too dumb to succeed in the pros.