User Tag List

First 678

Troy Polamalu once described football as "spiritual" and "poetry in motion." Tough sensor talk, for a pro football player.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Troy Polamalu once described football as "spiritual" and "poetry in motion." Tough sensor talk, for a pro football player.
    I understand those statements to mean that a person feels an activity inspires and completes them - that the experience represents their own personal loftiest experiences. The external ideas don't relate as closely as the comparison of supposed internal experiences.

I think that competitive, rule-based systems are going to appeal to T. Everything that is mentioned about strategy and absorbing tons of detailed information and creating a system, are all T-based activities. The more physical or sensory the experience, the more that could mean ST, the more internal and cerebral, the more NT. I'm sure there are people who relate to sports in many different ways, but there are also activities that will tend to appeal to certain ways of thinking more than others. ST thinking would be quite strong in engineering, medicine, sports, programming, etc. These disciplines are all applied, and their success or failure is made certain and demonstrable in the concrete world. I'm sure NTs could operate well also in this areas. I suspect the main reason it is offensive to think that sports appeals somewhat more to Sensors is this underlying assumption that Sensor intelligence is less somehow. Sports can be one example of just how intuitive and inventive a concrete based system of thought can be.

In every discipline that a person absorbs every detail from every angle, whether it is sports, firefighting, programming, math, etc. a person develops intuition about that discipline because of their deep storehouse of knowledge. If that intuition is about how systems operate in the concrete world such as putting out a fire, or how the human body reacts, it would seem to align with this idea of "sensors". If their intuition is about a system that is intangible and truly abstract like theoretical physics perhaps, philosophy, etc, one that cannot be demonstrated on the field or chessboard, then the intuitive responses are based on abstract relationships.

A big problem is taking a binary view of concrete vs. abstract or Sensor vs. iNtuitive. As has been said we aren't one or the other, but each has a unique way these concepts interrelate. For some it starts with the concrete and extends into the abstract, and for others the reverse.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

yeah, patriots coach/architect bill bilicheck = intp. systems abound everywhere. systems that need improvements and updating. updating, especially when it deals with possibilities not already implemented, is a pretty awesome, perfect use of iNtuition. after all, what could we change? what might the future hold, if we were to go find it before it's already here? what could we do about that to make it even better?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Is history of strategies or trends in formations of sports really an N thing, or just an intelligent, educated SJ thing?

Lots of SJs play fantasy football. Ss do have fantasies, and can appreciate subjects that have a more academic bent (lots of doctors, lawyers, history professors = SJ, especially STJ) ...it's just that they fantasize about more tangible things, and collect facts.

ISTP makes sense too. Lots of sense. Ti theorizing about athletics.
    I hope you are joking here.

Please stop speaking on behalf of my type- you consistently miss the mark.

Men like sports. Fantasy anything is a way to express your love of it, regardless if you are more about the play, the strategy, the love of the game. I'm an S and I hate talking to people who can remember every stat of every person. It makes no sense. I'm bad with names and all of that- really it's nonsense to me. I'll remember the big moments, at least.

MBTI
    INTJ

I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness. Why does writing raps make someone an INFJ? WTF? Lots of rappers are STPs, most likely.

I think you guys are confused, not me. Sorry.
    What are lots of rappers STP?

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Men like sports.
    Please stop speaking on behalf of my sex.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Please stop speaking on behalf of my sex.

Sorry.

NT male? I'll invite you over for a game of chess.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Socionics
    EII

I follow football (American) and follow a team pretty closely. I know who the players are, their record, and I am knowledgeable about how they do in each game and who plays well.

I consider myself an Intuitive.

The thing is, the thing I place the least value on is the actual watching of the game. I am far more concerned with how players played, who are the weak links of the team, the strategy of how my team runs their schemes with their personal, and who could be better with better talent around them with a better supporting cast. I could never watch another actual game of football because I have other things I would rather do, but I think this is a hobby I spend a lot of time on.

I also care more about the players on an individual and personal level especially trying to figure out who cares about where they are and who is in it for a paycheck (just like how Brett Farve can't retire because he defines himself as a football player and to stop being one would be the ceasing of an identity that he has established for himself over these years).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Chess is far more abstract and has very little to offer in terms of sensory excitement (unless you're hot for Bobby Fischer's hands), while football is quite "exciting" (to some) and not at all abstract, even though it involves some strategy.

Sure, an Intuitive person can enjoy watching sports or playing them for exercise or recreation, but I don't think that Intuitives are naturally inclined to become sports fanatics to the point of that's all they talk about...I mean, why the fuck would they? Where's the intuitive appeal to sit around and think about something concrete all day long to the point of liking this thing above all other interests?... and they aren't as good at being athletes, I would presume.

Martial arts makes more sense to me for Intuitives because it has a mind-body connection.
    My husband thinks about everything... He just doesn't talk about it, because he knows it bores the hell out of me. Funny thing is, I love playing sports, but it's not my thing to sit around and talk about them. He wants to talk about it because he thinks that's what I enjoy. He doesn't talk about sports scores, he talks about the strategy on the field. Why wouldn't an intuitive like strategy?

Regardless, talking about strategy in a sport is still talking about the sport.... Which I don't do...

Hehe, and he avoids politics with me because I can get rather heated talking about it. And he doesn't like me when I'm that way.