User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Ns following trends for pro teams? Really?

I'm having a really hard time swallowing this garbage, I mean seriously.
    Your failure to relate doesn't make it wrong, I've gone through obsessive about footy phases; playing, watching, strategising and much more. Unfortunately for your stance I'm sure about my NTness. Seems you view sports as a shallow interest and that clashes with your view of Ns. Sorry to disappoint.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm not interested in extremely "unanswerable" questions either. History is important to me though because there is meaning to be found (rather than answers, in the sense you're talking about). And some people, although rare, actually have done their little part in using this kind of information to try to help others too. Take Joseph Campbell, for instance. Granted, he wasn't an archaeologist, but a student of history/mythology. Similar subject material. Yet, his own books were more like inspirational self-help titles rather than strictly historical books. His work influenced other writers too, who in turn have tried to help others learn from the past. And you never know where the trail leads. We wouldn't have even some simple pleasures, like some entertaining movies, without the work of archaeologists, historians, or interpreters like Campbell. George Lucas was influenced by him and carried some of those ideas when writing Star Wars. But it all started with someone caring about the past.
    oh no, i completely agree. and i've always been fascinated with history and archaeology. but more me, i ultimately decided i wouldn't be taking it as a career path because of the reasons i listed. i still love reading history books, or books on archaeology and trying to decipher the past, and watching various specials on television about these topics. it sparks my own imagination as well as fills my curiosity of how modern human came to be... but i just couldn't do those types of careers for a living. it would leave me feeling lost, ultimately, as i need work that requires me to feel instant tangible gratification... make sense? and not necessarily in the monetary means... but rather that i see that what i am doing makes a difference now. so for me, something that's more practical would be the medical field, counseling or environmental sciences. and i'd say both of these would be common for anyone that's a sensor as well as a Fi.

i wonder now, if the instant gratification part is more of an Se quality, vs Si?
    my best friend, an ESTJ, got her B.A. in history and is about to start her masters in history as well...
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    ultimately, as i need work that requires me to feel instant tangible gratification... make sense?.
    Sure, it makes sense.. Not for me necessarily, but I wouldn't hold that against you. Everyone has their own thing. If I chose a career that was helping people, I'd probably be better off with discussing ideas or trends or maybe counseling. I might not even see direct results, but they still have an affect. I would help people in a tangible way if necessary (I mean, I recognize when that's the option I'm given), but I don't understand having a preference for it.

Sigh. This goes without mentioning that I'm not that service oriented to begin with. I only have so much time for others. That might be clouding the issue.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Why does anyone need to determine if someone is N or S? Either you're interested in them and what they say or you're not.
    I know a guy who loves to talk about hotwings and beer. Seems pretty 'S' by the OP.

He is also an aerospace engineer and earns $200K/year. How do you explain this?
    ISTx

I'm really perplexed that you people are shocked that people with high paying jobs are S. People are jumping all over me - not because I said that Ns don't like sports, but because I think it's very very doubtful an N would talk about sports "more than anything" - but I think this kind of thing is much more ridiculous, not realizing that many engineers are STs, saying someone was INFJ because they wrote raps, and when MacGuffin said there were "a lot of smart people in sports"...no really? There are smart sensors? Who knew!

This may come off shallow or sexist, but I personally don't even know that many females, period, who like sports. As far as I can tell, most of the women I know are S, but the number of ones who would talk sports a lot are a rare breed anyhow. And the ones that stick out aren't diehard fans, but more like "home team" fans. So even on this end, I can find a lot of sensors who don't care. It's not type related.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's like you guys are intentionally not reading what I'm saying. It's getting old.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT LIKING OR NOT LIKING SPORTS, IT IS THE ASSERTION THAT EVEN WHEN N'S LIKE SPORTS IT IS NOT "ALL THEY WILL TALK ABOUT" THAT'S ABSURD, JUST AS ABSURD AS SAYING "I KNOW THIS INFJ WOMAN AND ALL SHE DOES IS TALK ABOUT MAKE-UP AND CLEANING PRODUCTS" AND I CONTINUE TO STAND BY THIS OPINION.

Thank you.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure why you're taking this disagreement so personally. Disagreeing certainly doesn't mean we don't understand you.

You're saying it's absurd, but when we see it happening, does it mean one person theorizing trumps multiple people's real life experience? I'm not sure where that logic comes from.

Not every N is an ethereal elf, and not every S is a thuggish neanderthal.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not sure why you're taking this disagreement so personally. Disagreeing certainly doesn't mean we don't understand you.

You're saying it's absurd, but when we see it happening, does it mean one person theorizing trumps multiple people's real life experience? I'm not sure where that logic comes from.

Not every N is an ethereal elf, and not every S is a thuggish neanderthal.
    Nobody said Ns were ethereal and Ss were neanderthals.

It's just that even an N who is interested in concrete things will inevitably be drawn, nay pressed by their own internal psyche, to discuss other more abstract things, it is part of what makes them an N.

Just like the S who likes to discuss theory will get itchy and have to go do something more concrete.

I really, really think you guys think you know more Ns than you do.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Nobody said Ns were ethereal and Ss were neanderthals.

It's just that even an N who is interested in concrete things will inevitably be drawn, nay pressed by their own internal psyche, to discuss other more abstract things, it is part of what makes them an N.

Just like the S who likes to discuss theory will get itchy and have to go do something more concrete.

I really, really think you guys think you know more Ns than you do.
    I still don't know why you can find the abstract in chess, but not in physical games.

One could derive enough satisfying N concepts/abstractions from sports that make them keep exploring it. I think it's up to the individual to see it as concrete or not. Shit, I think Phil Jackson, for example, is as good a contender as any for an INTJ. He talks about a lot of subjects, but I'm pretty sure he thinks about sports a lot too. Tiger Woods might be INTP or INFP (maybe a T for the closet freak tendencies. heh).