User Tag List

First 34567 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness. Why does writing raps make someone an INFJ? WTF? Lots of rappers are STPs, most likely.

I think you guys are confused, not me. Sorry.
    I explained it poorly - the rap part is just a side-effect of liking terrible music. Focus on the poetry part, which is really what it is. Anyway, that's only one aspect of a person that isn't really relevant. I was only pointing it out because poetry is pretty stereotypically an N(F) thing.

If we assume Ns are 25% of the population as you say, if you aren't a complete hermit you know at least several. Those of us in more academic streams like me probably know a higher proportion of Ns, since they're probably overrepresented in universities.

It's really obvious you don't play sports, but there's actually a lot of strategy involved in playing most sports that isn't at all connected to the physical. Positioning, choosing angles of attack, timing, reading your opponents, predicting what they'll do and guessing the best counterattack, teamwork and communication, motivating, etc. The chess analogy is very apt except there's the added element of speedy decisions required. It's not just "durrrrr, kick that, hit that, now run over there". I'm not saying you think that, but it is coming across as a very.....simplistic idea of sports.

Also, many of my N friends are VERY involved in following trends for pro teams, predicting who'll win with what team and all that sports statistics stuff. I hate that stuff so I don't know what the appeal is, but it does seem abstract in a way (all numbers and patterns), even if it's tied to the physical.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    So, if you heard me speaking French in Paris you'd assume I was French?
    The world is Paris, and I speak French every day.
    It's called adapting to your surroundings.

No one would know if I was S or N in a conversation.
    I was raised in a SP/SJ house.
    I can speak any language I choose.

If I can do it, others can do it as well.
    To be fair, you would have to know if a person was speaking in their native tongue, so to speak, or their adaptive tongue.
    I spend the majority of my time adapting. Why would I intentionally choose to speak in a manner that would actually impede communication with others?

I choose not to impede. I adapt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I think it may be a little difficult to tell in one conversation. Most of them time, unless I'm talking to specific people, I'll keep it to 'small talk' items. Kids, weather, what was on the news last night, and oh, my gosh! can you believe the price of butter in the grocery store right now. Like Jaguar said, it's adaptation. My ex would do this for me from time to time--get into conversations on theories, ideas, and speculate...it was usually fueled by something he heard on NPR. It's not his natural mode and he can only do it for so long but he can and does do it just like talking about the things he enjoys will wear me out very quickly.

Speaking French makes me tired.
    This. I adapt according to the situation, and was raised and surrounded by Sensors, as well. There might be some mbti nerds who'd type me as a Sensor upon meeting me once, unless they displayed Intuitive characteristics first. I'm not going to go into some big esoteric discussion if I know there's a good chance the other person isn't going to be interested, and I won't see them again.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

ps equating american football with "sports" does a huge disservice to other sports. I'm not a fan of football myself (though I can see how there's a strategy, I just don't care)
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    It's fine to hate things (I loathe Wheel of Fortune!) but you can't just embody something with attributes because you hate it. The statistical analysis of sports is a deep and widening field that's changing sports currently. There are some very smart and theoretical people involved in sports. The stereotypical "Hit 'em harder! Walk it off you pussy!" coach only survives now at the lower levels. They're too dumb to succeed in the pros.
    MMmhmm. I hate football. I didn't say I hated all physical sports, and I never said that my hatred of football is why I think preoccupation with sports to the exclusion of more theoretical interests is a sensor thing. I also think preoccupation with hair, make-up, fashion, and dancing (all things I find moderately interesting) to the EXCLUSION of more abstract interests is also a sensor trait.

I think you're making a mistake here by equating intelligence with being an intuitive. I'm sure there are very smart people involved in sports, just as there are smart sensors in other fields. I'm not saying that intuitives don't get involved in sports at all, mind you, I have stated repeatedly what my point is and I refuse to make it again, especially within the same post.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Focus on the poetry part, which is really what it is. Anyway, that's only one aspect of a person that isn't really relevant. I was only pointing it out because poetry is pretty stereotypically an N(F) thing.
    Yeah, that must be why William Wordsworth was an ISFJ.

Ns following trends for pro teams? Really?

I'm having a really hard time swallowing this garbage, I mean seriously.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree and walk away now. You guys can think whatever you want. C'est la vie.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You don't have to agree, I'm just sharing my experience.

Anyway, I think sports and poetry are about the same level of relevance to S/N respectively - not at all the deciding factor, but points that can support the overall type of someone. I guess what I'm saying is that there is no one certain thing that can answer the question for you; you just have to look at the person as a whole and see how they see the world. An intuitive and a sensor could (and probably would) look at the same picture and see two very different things.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

MMmhmm. I hate football. I didn't say I hated all physical sports, and I never said that my hatred of football is why I think preoccupation with sports to the exclusion of more theoretical interests is a sensor thing. I also think preoccupation with hair, make-up, fashion, and dancing (all things I find moderately interesting) to the EXCLUSION of more abstract interests is also a sensor trait.

I think you're making a mistake here by equating intelligence with being an intuitive. I'm sure there are very smart people involved in sports, just as there are smart sensors in other fields. I'm not saying that intuitives don't get involved in sports at all, mind you, I have stated repeatedly what my point is and I refuse to make it again, especially within the same post.
    Yeah, that must be why William Wordsworth was an ISFJ.

Ns following trends for pro teams? Really?

I'm having a really hard time swallowing this garbage, I mean seriously.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree and walk away now. You guys can think whatever you want. C'est la vie.
    I just don't think you can look at the form of someone's interest (whether it be sports, mathematics, politics, woodcarving, TV shows, writing, etc.) and draw N/S conclusions without looking at the function of that interest. How someone approaches a subject is what matters.

For myself, I never found hardly anything abstract about computer programming, but NTs are seemingly drawn to it like moths to a flame.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Ummmmm Marm, this guy actually tested as an INTP (because I made him take the test). Not only that, he read the description and said it was accurate. He even fist bumped :P. There is no doubt that he is an INTP. The difference between S's and N's when it comes to sports is that an N is much more likely to start analysing everything, even if there are no practical consequences. This has nothing to do with intelligence, merely a tendency to analyse. He very much fits into this mold. Look Marm, I don't know what to say, people who know these INTP's tell you that they're really into sports and you, someone who don't know these people are running with a basic belief that we are all mistaken. Do you realise how cyclical you're being? Do you realise that maybe your belief that strong N's can't be crazy sports fans is a fundamental reach? I can link you to sports forums where these guys follow sports religiously and they are obviously N.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Perhaps there are a few different sets of assumptions about what "abstract" means. People see programming and chess as abstract because it requires information to be manipulated internally, but these are also relatively closed systems that are rule-bound and clearly defined in terms of cause-and-effect. I think in MBTI terms these fall under T more than N.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Why does anyone need to determine if someone is N or S? Either you're interested in them and what they say or you're not.
    I know a guy who loves to talk about hotwings and beer. Seems pretty 'S' by the OP.

He is also an aerospace engineer and earns $200K/year. How do you explain this?