User Tag List

First 23456 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have a friend who I'm pretty sure is N (infj) (he writes rap rhyme poetry stuff for fun, for god's sake!!) and he talks a lot about sports. He runs a sports league and plays a lot of sports for fun. Sports and video games are a large chunk of his life. I play soccer and volleyball and some people I've played with for years are Ns.

I'm not saying liking sports is a "stereotyped" N trait at all but I don't think it's enough to question "N-ness" on its own, either.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness. Why does writing raps make someone an INFJ? WTF? Lots of rappers are STPs, most likely.

I think you guys are confused, not me. Sorry.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness. Why does writing raps make someone an INFJ? WTF? Lots of rappers are STPs, most likely.

I think you guys are confused, not me. Sorry.
    Yeah, that's why I used to love sports but then started dropping out of them one by one after it was all about "COME TO OPEN GYM 5 DAYS A WEEK, LETS GO".

And being NP I suffered a number of concussions from not being aware of surroundings.... but with NPness there is some Jedi future-movements-by-other-players-telling thing going on, which can work to your advantage.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm of the opinion that people see a bunch of Ns when there are none. IRL Ns are maybe 25% of the population, if that. I think the internet, and especially forums like these, give people the bizarre idea that Ns are all around them IRL like they are on-line.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I never said Ns don't like sports, but when it monopolizes a large chunk of your time and attention, I seriously doubt your N-ness.
    What's the difference between a team sport like American football and something like chess? Both have their obsessives that study and analyze the shit out the two games, but why is chess the egghead iNtuitive game, and football is for Sensor meatheads? Is it because one of them requires physical players?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Chess is far more abstract and has very little to offer in terms of sensory excitement (unless you're hot for Bobby Fischer's hands), while football is quite "exciting" (to some) and not at all abstract, even though it involves some strategy.

Sure, an Intuitive person can enjoy watching sports or playing them for exercise or recreation, but I don't think that Intuitives are naturally inclined to become sports fanatics to the point of that's all they talk about...I mean, why the fuck would they? Where's the intuitive appeal to sit around and think about something concrete all day long to the point of liking this thing above all other interests?... and they aren't as good at being athletes, I would presume.

Martial arts makes more sense to me for Intuitives because it has a mind-body connection.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, also I think football is more associated with "meatheads" because of all of the brain damage it can cause, and the fact that it's violent and risky, while chess requires a great deal of emotional self-control.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Chess is far more abstract and has very little to offer in terms of sensory excitement (unless you're hot for Bobby Fischer's hands), while football is quite "exciting" (to some) and not at all abstract, even though it involves some strategy.
    Far more abstract? It's 64 squares with the same initial starting conditions every time. You don't ever have to account for a variable like an odd bounce of the ball. Bobby Fisher believed chess at some point would be solved because of this - there would be a tree of decisions leading to the end only depending on what white piece is moved first.

You seem to have a superficial understanding of football.

Sure, an Intuitive person can enjoy watching sports or playing them for exercise or recreation, but I don't think that Intuitives are naturally inclined to become sports fanatics to the point of that's all they talk about...I mean, why the fuck would they? Where's the intuitive appeal to sit around and think about something concrete all day long to the point of liking this thing above all other interests?... and they aren't as good at being athletes, I would presume.

Martial arts makes more sense to me for Intuitives because it has a mind-body connection.
    Why not dance?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Dude, I'm not a dancer like that. LOL. It's not like I studied ballet six days a week and went to Julliard, or anything close to it. Even as an exotic dancer my prime motivation was money, although I think dancing is fun. I'm good at dancing, for an intuitive. I don't have moves like Britney Spears or Michael Jackson, though, let alone the kind of skills (and obsession with physical exercise every day of my life) it requires to be a professional ballerina.

I dunno, football sucks, I hate it...but to each their own. I tend to think people who are obsessed with sports TO THE EXCLUSION OF OTHER MORE ABSTRACT OR THEORETICAL INTERESTS are usually sensors. See: there's the difference...it's not that Intuitives don't like sports or even take it on as a hobby, but talking about sports twenty-four seven is fucking boring, to me it's just as boring as talking about any other physical, factual thing twenty-four seven...and likewise, sensors are usually bored by excessive talk involving theoreticals and abstractions, and are just like what the hell, why don't you want to DO something.

P.S. If Bobby Fischer didn't "solve" chess, nobody will. He was a monomaniac, that was part of the reason he was so talented. I don't think something being solvable makes it less abstract, either. Can't algebra problems be solved? Also, a lot of STJs probably also play chess ... I didn't mean to imply that it was strictly an Intuitive thing at all...you just posed the question of why football is associated with meatheads...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Dude, I'm not a dancer like that. LOL. It's not like I studied ballet six days a week and went to Juliard, or anything close to it. Even as an exotic dancer my prime motivation was money, although I think dancing is fun. I'm good at dancing, for an intuitive. I don't have moves like Britney Spears or Michael Jackson, though, let alone the kind of skills (and obsession with physical exercise every day of my life) it requires to be a professional ballerina.

I dunno, football sucks, I hate it...but to each their own. I tend to think people who are obsessed with sports TO THE EXCLUSION OF OTHER MORE ABSTRACT OR THEORETICAL INTERESTS are usually sensors. See: there's the difference...it's not that Intuitives don't like sports or even take it on as a hobby, but talking about sports twenty-four seven is fucking boring, to me it's just as boring as talking about any other physical, factual thing twenty-four seven...and likewise, sensors are usually bored by excessive talk involving theoreticals and abstractions, and are just like what the hell, why don't you want to DO something.
    It's fine to hate things (I loathe Wheel of Fortune!) but you can't just embody something with attributes because you hate it. The statistical analysis of sports is a deep and widening field that's changing sports currently. There are some very smart and theoretical people involved in sports. The stereotypical "Hit 'em harder! Walk it off you pussy!" coach only survives now at the lower levels. They're too dumb to succeed in the pros.