User Tag List

First 1234 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    I know the classic difference between N's and S's, but my husband and I have found that we can almost always tell who is an N or S from only one conversation.

The S's will always talk about things - their cars, football, curtains, decorating, gardening, whatever they fixed last on their house and the N's will talk about people or ideas - politics, theology, who did what on the last family vacation.

Do you find this is true?
    All that "always" and so certain! I think there's an element of truth here but it'll be misleading if you rely on it as anything more than a clue. It's true that S's will tend to prefer (and thus talk about) tangible things more often (people are included in this category) but they'll also talk about ideas sometimes and while Ns are more likely to enjoy more abstract ideas, they still may have a significant interest in tangible things. A lot of the time it'll depend on the relationship between the two people, how much each one likes "small talk", the environment, their mood, their interests...Ns definitely talk about everyday things or their hobbies sometimes.

But yes, as a general rule of thumb it's probably a useful clue (not the entire argument).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I know the classic difference between N's and S's, but my husband and I have found that we can almost always tell who is an N or S from only one conversation.

The S's will always talk about things - their cars, football, curtains, decorating, gardening, whatever they fixed last on their house and the N's will talk about people or ideas - politics, theology, who did what on the last family vacation.

i think these are just topics that interest humanity and aren't necessarily only divided up between S and N.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    All that "always" and so certain! I think there's an element of truth here but it'll be misleading if you rely on it as anything more than a clue. It's true that S's will tend to prefer (and thus talk about) tangible things more often (people are included in this category) but they'll also talk about ideas sometimes and while Ns are more likely to enjoy more abstract ideas, they still may have a significant interest in tangible things. A lot of the time it'll depend on the relationship between the two people, how much each one likes "small talk", the environment, their mood, their interests...Ns definitely talk about everyday things or their hobbies sometimes.

But yes, as a general rule of thumb it's probably a useful clue (not the entire argument).
    I agree.

Sounds like a good idea

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

No. I will talk about things or people or ideas, depending on who I'm talking to. I am interested in all of that stuff so I will discuss a garden or a football game or diplomatic relations between nations or environmental issues, etc., etc. I just really like the give and take of a conversation.

I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Throw in an ideological question in a discussion of things. Whoever attacks the question first is more likely to be N, and whoever looks at you like you are insane is more likely to be S The nature of the response and level of enthusiasm are very important to keep in mind too.

But really, to determine S/N preference in one conversation is bound to fail with a lot of people out there. They are just tricky like that.

Ginkgo

Wait for them on the side of a doorway with a baseball bat and strike as they step in. If they are knocked unconscious, they're human. If they anticipate and block your blow, or shoot you with a laser rifle, they're probably an extraterrestrial or something.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Throw in an ideological question in a discussion of things. Whoever attacks the question first is more likely to be N, and whoever looks at you like you are insane is more likely to be S .
    i disagree. i'm a sensor and wouldn't be turned off by that type of questioning.

i feel as though phrasing it that way, it makes all sensors sound closed minded.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    i disagree. i'm a sensor and wouldn't be turned off by that type of questioning.

i feel as though phrasing it that way, it makes all sensors sound closed minded.
    Totally not closed-minded or turned off, well maybe turned off in people who are very unintuitive... but maybe confused at first.
    If you aren't turned off by that questioning, it just needs you need to be analyzed some more, like 99% of people.
    If you are the first person who jumps on the idea question and go on about it forever, then you are simply one of those tricky sensors that I said there are many of =P

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I like football.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

What do you think football will be like in 500 years, assuming that it is still around?