User Tag List

First 12345 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    Astrology isn't incorrect because the descriptions that it provides don't resemble actual people. Astrology is incorrect because the idea that being born in a particular month can determine someone's personality is nuts.
    Are you sure about that assertion?
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1205202510.htm

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    One study does not determine much of anything. I could bring up several different studies supporting the existence of psychic abilities and ghosts. The only difference is that the bulk of those studies have been peer reviewed over several years, if not decades. This relatively recent study has not.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

So one study about mice circadian patterns defines overall personality in human beings? That's quite a stretch, nebbykoo.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    One study does not determine much of anything. I could bring up several different studies supporting the existence of psychic abilities and ghosts. The only difference is that the bulk of those studies have been peer reviewed over several years, if not decades. This relatively recent study has not.
    You said: Astrology is incorrect because the idea that being born in a particular month can determine someone's personality is nuts. This study refutes that statement. Does it 'prove' that the month of one's birth is a determinant for personality? No, but it suggests that this may in fact, be the case. That is more than you can argue for MBTI...
    And please find me one study that supports the existence of ghosts that has been reviewed for years, if not decades.

Here's the sourse article from Nature Neuroscience:
    http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/...l/nn.2699.html

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    So one study about mice circadian patterns defines overall personality in human beings? That's quite a stretch, nebbykoo.
    I don't believe in astrology. It was mostly a reaction to the statement of lunarmoon. The point was that the text from an astrology site is similar to that used for MBTI, which shows that MBTI is primarily of little use except for self-flattery. It offers no real insights, only vague statements.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I don't believe in astrology. It was mostly a reaction to the statement of lunarmoon. The point was that the text from an astrology site is similar to that used for MBTI, which shows that MBTI is primarily of little use except for self-flattery. It offers no real insights, only vague statements.
    But most of the text was positive where MBTI also points out more negatives to each personality type. It's not a perfect system but I don't feel it's worth rejecting the entire theory for some flaws.

IMO, cognitive processes do exist whether they're called functions or blueberries. Similar collective processes exist in human beings.

But most of the text was positive
    I thought the Aries description sounded like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGX1TgqgVZg

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I thought the Aries description sounded like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGX1TgqgVZg
    Good clip Jaguar! Maybe an 8w9?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Sounds like my ENTJ friend actually...his nature is inspiring and flattering, he's generous, apparently he learned how to intellectually sort out his emotions before the time in his life when I met him - very rational and measured about it, almost like an INTJ, but more effusive and less of a mechanical tone about it - he's courageous, optimistic, friendly...and pretty physical in the sense that he likes snowboarding and I've seen him play humorous physical pranks on other guys.

I actually thought he was ENFJ when I met him because of his charm, enthusiasm, and generosity , but that may because of his particular preference for me as a person, I perceived that some people found him more overbearing or annoying. Also seemed more direct in his opinions about others, less polite, and had this mischieveous glint in his eyes. Reportedly also capable of focusing on nothing but work and being okay with that.

I can see why some people could also see ESTP in this description. ESTP and ENTJ are commonly confused types.

Good clip Jaguar! Maybe an 8w9?
    I thought he was a jackass. Lol.