User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default MBTI typings by preferences or functions?

When we learn about MBTI we learn or make our own techniques of typing others. Many new to MBTI prefer giving a typological profile to people based on what they have learnt through the definitions of the preferences or based on the stereotypical perceptions of certain type profiles in their minds.
    Those more knowledgeable about the topic would look towards the functions and would try to adhere people to what functions they use. Both, if done with correction, may work to a degree to help typing people.

What is it you tend to do and/or give more credit to and why?

My personal process is typing by preferences and then adhering the person to the functions of the type I believe they are. I would think the explanation of the Judging preference doesn't always adhere to the first functions of what we think the person is so either it may contradictorily confuse us or make us almost certain they are that certain type if the first function of the person works in parallel with the definition of the preference. This would be based on the person's perception of it.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I am struggling with this myself as I tend to identify most with INTJ going letter by letter and INTP going by the functions.

I identify alot with both the INTJ and INTP descriptions, with the INTP one slightly more.

Actually I'm finding that I identify with quite a bit of the ISFJ profiles as well. Maybe its that whole Ti/Si loop thing. But that's another thread that's waiting for me to be written up.

I guess I put a little more trust in the functions than just going letter by letter. When Jung constructed the psychological types, he was basing it off of functions and he didn't use J/P. J/P was some later thing added to indicate what function is dominant and what's auxilary. If your last letter is J, your extravert your judging function; if you last letter is P, you extravert your perceiving function. If you're an extravert, your dominant function lines up with your J/P preference. But if you're an introvert, it's really your auxiliary function that matches up with J/P. For example an INTP has dominant introverted thinking (a judging function) and auxiliary extraverted intuition (a perceiving function). That's my understanding of it anyway.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I trust functions more (as you can see I don't feel I fit precisely into any type as their function order allows) but I find them sometimes to have a lot of crossover with other functions and more diverse definitions than they should and are not entirely reliable.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTJ

Are they not the same thing? Preference and Function?

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I think they are reffering to dichotomatical preference.
    JiNe

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No.

Like I prefer Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judger.

But if you go by functions someone might say well you just think you're introverted because you're an Ne dominant ENFP who uses a lot of Te which makes you think you're J....

Or that I'm ISFP who uses a lot of Ni, making me think I'm an N...

That's the difference.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I am struggling with this myself as I tend to identify most with INTJ going letter by letter and INTP going by the functions.

I identify alot with both the INTJ and INTP descriptions, with the INTP one slightly more.

Actually I'm finding that I identify with quite a bit of the ISFJ profiles as well. Maybe its that whole Ti/Si loop thing. But that's another thread that's waiting for me to be written up.

I guess I put a little more trust in the functions than just going letter by letter. When Jung constructed the psychological types, he was basing it off of functions and he didn't use J/P. J/P was some later thing added to indicate what function is dominant and what's auxilary. If your last letter is J, your extravert your judging function; if you last letter is P, you extravert your perceiving function. If you're an extravert, your dominant function lines up with your J/P preference. But if you're an introvert, it's really your auxiliary function that matches up with J/P. For example an INTP has dominant introverted thinking (a judging function) and auxiliary extraverted intuition (a perceiving function). That's my understanding of it anyway.
    INTPs and ISFJs have the same functions, but in different order ( I guess this is what oP means by preferences. )
    Don't live and die by the text book. You know yourself better than what you can descibe over the net. Take the functions Ti Ne Si and Fe and see which one dominates you, and then order the other 3. You should be able to identify the first 2, and that may help direct you better. ISFJs are a lot different than INTPs.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    No.

Like I prefer Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judger.

But if you go by functions someone might say well you just think you're introverted because you're an Ne dominant ENFP who uses a lot of Te which makes you think you're J....

Or that I'm ISFP who uses a lot of Ni, making me think I'm an N...

That's the difference.
    So Ni is the function that you prefer (use the most?) or are you saying you would like to be an INFJ? *dumb question, i know*

I know I am more likely to identify the preferred function that a person uses and start to build from there. I guess the function that's most readily apparent in my interactions- the perception function may not be so evident early on.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

ISFJs are a lot different than INTPs.
    But on Si/Ti loops they can be very similar.
    JiNe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So Ni is the function that you prefer (use the most?) or are you saying you would like to be an INFJ? *dumb question, i know*

I know I am more likely to identify the preferred function that a person uses and start to build from there. I guess the function that's most readily apparent in my interactions- the perception function may not be so evident early on.
    No. My preferences do not involve functions. This is going by whether you are introvert/extrovert, thinking/feeler, sensor/intuitive, perceiver/judger straight up...Keirsey-type tests, where you answer questions that ask things like do you prefer for things to be settled or open-ended.

I get INFJ on those tests 99.9% of the time. Once I got ENFJ, that had to be a fluke.

I also have scored high on Ni on functions tests, too, but on functions I vary, which I mentioned in the hybrid thread.