User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

^ yeah but how long would either be in a Si Ti loop? Unless they are batty, they'd be operating normally most of the time.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    No. My preferences do not involve functions. This is going by whether you are introvert/extrovert, thinking/feeler, sensor/intuitive, perceiver/judger straight up...Keirsey-type tests, where you answer questions that ask things like do you prefer for things to be settled or open-ended.

I get INFJ on those tests 99.9% of the time. Once I got ENFJ, that had to be a fluke.

I also have scored high on Ni on functions tests, too, but on functions I vary, which I mentioned in the hybrid thread.
    Okay got you.....- the letter method.

THanks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

@OP

Both.

Because the "i" in Introvert is the same "i" in "Ni".

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    INTPs and ISFJs have the same functions, but in different order ( I guess this is what oP means by preferences. )
    Don't live and die by the text book. You know yourself better than what you can descibe over the net. Take the functions Ti Ne Si and Fe and see which one dominates you, and then order the other 3. You should be able to identify the first 2, and that may help direct you better. ISFJs are a lot different than INTPs.
    The last time I did the function test there was practically a three way tie between Ti/Si/Ne. Fi was just a few points behind. I suppose if I was ISFJ I'd have stronger Fe.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    ^ yeah but how long would either be in a Si Ti loop? Unless they are batty, they'd be operating normally most of the time.
    Not necessarily. Sometimes this is the norm to have a 1st/3rd loop. One example I can think of right now is Arthur Dent in THHGTTG who is IMO most likely an ISFJ on an Si Ti loop. Or at least as well as I remember from the books. He has also been suggested as INTP.

They don't always have to be unhealthy either. Just different ways of thinking.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Honestly? Practically speaking, I find typing people by dichotomies to be the most useful and frankly, most straightforward. Most people fairly easily fall into one or the other of each, or there's just one of the four that is borderline. Yes, this method leads to a bit of stereotyping, but in essence that's what's gonna happen when you divide human personality into just 16 overall types. They end up kind of being like rough drafts/summaries. When I then go from what seems obviously & clearly their type by dichotomy, and try to superimpose the matching functions, that's when weird things happen and I start questioning their type. So there's imo a mismatch in terms of the two modes of typing and I've never thought they seamlessly line up.

On the other hand, the functions in and of themselves are more useful when discussing more of the complexities of personality and underlying preferences. I just don't think they belong, necessarily, with the original mbti-dichotomy-theory. Or, at the very least, I think I can easily say function theory as outlined doesn't line up with reality.

So, yeah, for my purposes, it's easiest to just go by dichotomy. He's a J, he's more anal, needing closure, generally very ancy/uneasy when things are unsettled/uncertain, etc. She's an S, she's more grounded in the real world, prefers talking about her day to day life and what she's been up to, rather than some psychological mode of typing that is purely theoretical and is a pointless exercise that doesn't accomplish anything and is a waste of time (as well as silly) to think about (I'm describing my S mom here ).
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    The last time I did the function test there was practically a three way tie between Ti/Si/Ne. Fi was just a few points behind. I suppose if I was ISFJ I'd have stronger Fe.
    I agree with you there. I think your first 2 (dichotomy?) are the easiest to identify within yourself and by others around you. After that it's a shot in the dark. After Si/Te, I'm more Ne than Fi. Sometimes I wonder if Fi is somewhere in the shadows for me, in place of Se or Ti. Not sure. Maybe Fi is just the last frontier for me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Not necessarily. Sometimes this is the norm to have a 1st/3rd loop. One example I can think of right now is Arthur Dent in THHGTTG who is IMO most likely an ISFJ on an Si Ti loop. Or at least as well as I remember from the books. He has also been suggested as INTP.

They don't always have to be unhealthy either. Just different ways of thinking.
    I have more Si-Ne loops than I do Si-Fi, but then I'd have to really assess if I have any Si-Fi loops at all. I'm sure I do, just don't have it nailed like I do the other.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

If you decompose things and ignore functions, that doesn't mean you give up the qualities of Fe vs Fi and Te vs Ti... they just become the qualities of FJs vs FPs, and TJs vs TPs.

There have been some interesting articles in the Journal of Psychological Type by Reynierse that basically attack type dynamics as not being born out in any measurable way. The influence of J/P on the other dichotomies does not appear to be any stronger than the effect of any of the others. Also, there's no empirical support for an Fi-doms Feeling being any stronger than an Fi-auxs Feeling, for example.

This creates a certain leveling effect for the theory, so dividing things up according any pair of letters (like IJs vs IPs or NT vs ST) are all equally valid. Then, J vs P is no longer a master switch for the whole system. Further, when you remove type dynamics, it becomes possible to subdivide types farther and have INTPs whose strongest preference is Thinking, and compare them to those whose strongest preference is iNtuition or Perceiving.

Personally, I like the idea of the functions and find they help illustrate the qualitative differences between types (especially those only separated by J/P). However, I don't find type dynamics on the whole to be completely convincing (especially given that there are multiple competing models), and suspect there's more individual variation that a less rigid model might capture better. Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep an open mind and am curious about what farther research (including Big 5 research) shows.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    No.

Like I prefer Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judger.

But if you go by functions someone might say well you just think you're introverted because you're an Ne dominant ENFP who uses a lot of Te which makes you think you're J....

Or that I'm ISFP who uses a lot of Ni, making me think I'm an N...

That's the difference.
    Now where have I heard that method of typing before...

Curious, since you seem to be going so solidly with INFJ now, and all the tests are giving you that; what made you think you were ENFP in the first place? (It did seem to match, IMO, including by directing/informing behavior).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas