Thread: Dear Fe User,

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Dear Fe User,

On the one hand, I admire Fe. Its focus on connecting, compassion, giving and being accommodating are a big part of what makes the world a good place to live. It "honors" the feeling of others, which is really wonderful and because of all of these remarkable qualities, it facilitates the building of trusting relationships in the way that perhaps no other function can replicate. Without it, I don't know if harmonious society would be possible.

At the same time, there are things which deeply disturb me about Fe. I don't like the judgements it applies to decide if somebody's actions are appropriate or not based on a generally accepted perspective or the feelings of the group. A combination of the arrogance that its perspective is right along with the fact that it tends to reflect a popular view means that it can lead to all sorts of things such as inaction, maintaining the status quo and conformity. A bad situation can continue to exist in the sake of maintaining harmony. Also, there is the particular challenge that when the Fe perspective is voiced, others quickly pile on, because of course it reflects a popular view - even if that perspective is wrong. An extreme negative example of Fe would be the Salem Witch Trials in which the mob was in agreement and yet all collectively wrong. It's like the sheep all running over the cliff together.

Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Fe fan. As I first stated, I see all of the good that it does in the world. Still, I'm quite happy to be an Fi user, with my own personal and subjective judgments, and to be freed from the tyranny of group think. Trust me Fe user, I've listened to what you said. The fact that I go along doesn't mean that I agree with you, nor does it mean you are right. It means that I've decided it is not a battle worth fighting. If I were to fight for every belief or cause I felt strongly about, I would quickly exhaust myself. When I think something is right or it's wrong, it's my own opinion and not the opinion of others. With that perspective in particular, it is important to pick your battles.

Anyway, I guess what really bothers me is a deep disconnect on the values as to what is important. It is enough to understand this and to see the worth of both perspectives, I suppose for now.

Thank you very much and carry on.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ

Perhaps the other side of the coin: women's rights.

Now bear with me, this is just a vague intuition and perhaps over-simple...

it seems to me that particularly when viewing women's rights as a structural issue, we're seeing one of the places where Fe as a logical, analytical decision-maker can do one of the things it does. Perhaps that thing is the identifying and attaching of moral meaning to roles and conditions as they exist, and a determining that change is required.

Fe as progressive, who knew.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Don't forget how Fe is often used to manipulate people. That's something I don't like about it. It's not always honest.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
    Likes xXMariahXx, Fay, Yuu, AbbyNormal liked this post

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    At the same time, there are things which deeply disturb me about Fe. I don't like the judgements it applies to decide if somebody's actions are appropriate or not based on a generally accepted perspective or the feelings of the group. A combination of the arrogance that it's perspective is right along with the fact that it tends to reflect a popular view means that it can lead to all sorts of things such as inaction, maintaining the status quo and conformity. A bad situation can continue to exist in the sake of maintaining harmony. Also, there is the particular challenge that when the Fe perspective is voiced, others quickly pile on, because of course it reflects a popular view - even if that perspective is wrong. An extreme negative example of Fe would be the Salem Witch Trials in which the mob was in agreement and yet all collectively wrong. It's like the sheep all running over the cliff together.
    Are there any specific examples you can provide other than the Salem Witch Trials? Only because I've always been very much against group-think/ sheep mentality, and often do not have popular/mainstream views with regards to most things. In fact I despise any sort of cultural pressure where it seems whomever/whatever is trying to mold the minds of 'the masses', whether that be in tv advertising, the news, etc.

Don'e get me wrong. I am a huge Fe fan. As i first stated, I see all of the good that it does in the world. Still, I'm quite happy to be an Fi user, with my own personal and subjective judgments, and to be freed from the tyranny of group think. Trust me Fe user, I've listened to what you said. The fact that I go along doesn't mean that I agree with you, nor does it mean you are right. It means that I've decided it is not a battle worth fighting. If I were to fight for every belief or cause I felt strongly about, I would quickly exhaust myself.
    I'm happy to be freed from the tyranny of group think as well.

Anyway.. I've said this before on here, but for me personally, in the end I'm pretty results-oriented so will tend to take the smoothest course to achieve whatever net result is desired. If you want to bring Fe into this, yeah, this will mean I may use some sort of 'established protocol' (follow the corporate culture/value set, say, in a business setting) to be the framework of my conversation with a VP, because I know that will achieve the results I want. Or I might use a totally different method with someone else because I know they don't give a sh*t about the pleasantries. So for me, really, I don't see there being a black-and-white 'Right' way of doing things. I might *recognize* and be aware of what I perceive the group I'm surrounded by adheres to, and with that recognition will use those methods to accomplish whatever needs to be accomplished and avoid saying what I know they'll burn me at the stake for (i.e. Salem Witch Trial example) because frankly I don't want to be burned at the stake. However I won't talk the talk if I don't agree with it on a moral level (so I won't be in the masses demanding someone to be burnt), and I'll extricate myself from the situation then, if possible (move out of Salem).

And in my personal life, generally speaking I put other peoples' needs ahead of my own, and tend to accommodate quite a lot, and build upon commonalities and don't focus on differences. If there are too many differences, I tend not to be in the relationship at all. I really don't know that that's strictly Fe, though, as Fi can do this as well.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes GIjade liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Can you separate Fe (action) from the P function source?

FOr instance, in another thread I just stated how I got hell from this Hispanic ESFJ bear looking dude because I don't participate in the 'Holiday Potluck' event my team throws. He tried to flip it every way, stating that it's for me to celebrate whatever I want, and that people shouldn't be asking me about my plans for Christmas, yadda yadda. I'm brushing him off but in my mind I'm calling him all types of idiots, because the party, despite what you call it, is to observe the holidays, and people ask what you are doing over that time!

To me it's obvious that his Fe is influenced by his Si perception that everyone is happy during this time, and wants me to be as happy as everyone else. This isn't the first time he's done this to me, trying to shame me into participating in something I didn't want to.

I've been around this guy enough to know that his Si function operates differently than my own. It might be because it's secondary to Fe, where for me it's first, but I would think that at his age (late 40s) he would have it together by now.

I think Fe has it's place, and is an excellent approach, but is has to be balanced by a good perception of the situation as well.

I have seen this guy's judgement work against a person as well. He's so fearful of my ISTJ boss that he told this intern she couldn't attend a lunch with her peers. It was obvious that he was Fe-ing based on his perception of his boss- what would make him happy, and that was to not let this girl go to lunch, but instead work.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Don't forget how Fe is often used to manipulate people. That's something I don't like about it. It's not always honest.
    Hard to forget when there's 8 million threads bitching about it.

Don't forget how Ti often leads to retarded statements when it makes poor assumptions.

Likes raissaroars, MDP2525, Nørrsken, Gust liked this post

Dear Fe user,

I am sorry as of late to be giving you such a hard time. This is a genuine apology, meant without any sarcasm or tongue in cheek ass kissing. I really am sorry for any discomfort or unhappiness my probing and questioning may cause. In general I find that a great number of Fe users I know are truly wonderful, caring individuals that have only the best intent. Even when they single me out and do those Fe things to me *shudders* I realize they mean it to be for the best. They are only trying to help or give guidance and they dont understand how deeply it can penetrate.

I suppose I hear what they mean to be a gentle Fe rebuke as instead, the most massive harsh critique another Fi user could ever offer. The resulting feelings are crushing and tell me that I have no business interacting with anyone and should wonder off into the wilderness alone. By telling me that what I feel is wrong-they are telling me that my soul, myself, my being is flawed and forged incorrectly and I need to go away and spend time reforging it or just never come back. Another Fi user would gently offer guidance via their reflections or experiences which would help me remold myself in small steps through mutual sharing and calibration. The Fe rebuke offers none of that and just conveys utter rejection and condemnation with no desire to discuss where or why I feel the way I do. The Fe user perceives that as making excuses, not furthering understanding.

In order to try and deal with Fe feedback in a reasonable manner, I now probe and poke and question to figure out the Fe expectations and needs-the mechanics so to speak. This way I can add a step in the middle that allows me to reinterrpret what I perceived you to be saying into what you really meant to convey. By understanding you I can also better meet your needs as I love a great number of you in the real world and want to take care of you and keep you happy. I want to give you what you need.

I would request that there is value to each of you as individuals in learning to recognize when you may have mistakenly applied your own individualized Fe values as being the values of the entire world-as often you them use this as a tool to dismember those who brings legitimate alternatives to the table. There is also value in realizing 50% of the population doesnt think or feel the way you do. Also, be very cautious as you will tend to lead through exclusion and isolate yourselves until everyone around you agrees with you-which may end up preventing you from accomplishing your goals-goals which are often Fe driven to help others. Your immediate desire for Fe harmony ends up preventing you from acheiving much larger Fe goals. Sometimes disruptions in the present result in the best final solution.

With much love and genuine respect for the caring beauty of Fe,
    Orobas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Even though I'm an INFJ, and according to Jung that means INiFeJ, I think I use Fi more than Fe. I agree with some of the things in the OP about Fe, but I don't think it's any more problematic than any other function used in an unbalanced way.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/
    Likes Gogol liked this post

Dear Fe-users (especially introverted ones, for some reason),
    Thanks for being patient and for giving good advice on interpersonal situations.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes MDP2525, Nørrsken, dippy liked this post

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Well as an inferior Fe, I'm not sure I qualify but I suppose my Fi is even lower sooo....I'll comment on what I've seen in others at any rate. Note: this is all questioning, not arguing, although the tone may come off as abrupt it isn't intended to be

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't like the judgements it applies to decide if somebody's actions are appropriate or not based on a generally accepted perspective or the feelings of the group.
    Hmmm...are you saying you find it better to decide "appropriateness" based on your own individual feelings, rather than the overall feelings? This does seem to fit in better with Fi, but I'm not sure I agree that it's the proper way to go about things.

A combination of the arrogance that its perspective is right
    I'm interested in where this impression comes from, because I always see Fe users hemming and hawing about IMO and IME and "maybe" this and "perhaps" that, whereas Fi/Te comes across as "this is how it is (...and sometimes, "if you disagree you're attacking me")"

it can lead to all sorts of things such as inaction, maintaining the status quo and conformity. A bad situation can continue to exist in the sake of maintaining harmony.
    I'll agree that this is perhaps more likely to occur in a herd of Fe than a herd of Fi, though I don't think it's exclusive to Fe or that Fe is like that by default. As far as maintaining harmony, that actually seems pretty common with (especially introverted) Fi, whereas you see (especially extroverted) Fe charging all over the place bringing up the underdog and making sure everyone is happy, dammit.
    Also, there is the particular challenge that when the Fe perspective is voiced, others quickly pile on, because of course it reflects a popular view - even if that perspective is wrong.
    What's the distinction between a "popular view" and a view that has considered the potential feelings of everyone before speaking? If people genuinely agree, why shouldn't they "pile on"? Is a commonly-held view more likely to be wrong than a rare view?

Still, I'm quite happy to be an Fi user, with my own personal and subjective judgments, and to be freed from the tyranny of group think.
    Fe users have personal and subjective judgments too, although they are usually more reluctant to voice them in strong terms. Again, I don't think Fe users are prone to group think by definition. Fe considers everyone's feelings, even if they aren't in the majority. In fact, I suspect that as a more individually-focused function, Fi would be more vulnerable to a situation of groupthink in favour of the Fi user. Fe on the other hand would be assessing everyone's opinion and trying to see if anyone feels too intimidated to speak up.

Trust me Fe user, I've listened to what you said. The fact that I go along doesn't mean that I agree with you, nor does it mean you are right. It means that I've decided it is not a battle worth fighting. If I were to fight for every belief or cause I felt strongly about, I would quickly exhaust myself. When I think something is right or it's wrong, it's my own opinion and not the opinion of others. With that perspective in particular, it is important to pick your battles.
    I think this is equally (or even more so) true for Fe users, actually.

Anyway, I guess what really bothers me is a deep disconnect on the values as to what is important. It is enough to understand this and to see the worth of both perspectives, I suppose for now.
    What values do you specifically find important? What values do you think Fe users find important?
    -end of thread-