Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Sim used to pull that same tactic on members. If anyone didn't agree with his POV he'd shoot this line at them: "Why are you here?"

I think this exchange is necessary to remind you, and others, of what this forum is:

Enough said.
    Yeah, but what do you believe? Are you a skeptic? If you don't believe in Jungian-derived personality typing, what appeal does this forum hold for you? The people you encounter? Other non-MBTI ideas?

Glycerine

I am w/ you, Jaguar. I know there are some general differences between Fe and Fi but once you try to go deeper, it becomes arbitrary because of so many other factors. I hate the forced divide. How many of the differences could you really account for just based on Fi and Fe?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yeah, but what do you believe? Are you a skeptic? If you don't believe in Jungian-derived personality typing, what appeal does this forum hold for you? The people you encounter? Other non-MBTI ideas?
    If you want to know what I think, peruse my posting history.
    It's what anyone would do, if they were actually serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I am w/ you, Jaguar. I know there are some general differences between Fe and Fi but once you try to go deeper, it becomes arbitrary because of so many other factors. I hate the forced divide.
    Forced divide. Now that's a great way of putting it, indeed.
    The east and the west are mine, the north and the south are mine. All seems beautiful to me.
    — Walt Whitman

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

If you want to know what I think, peruse my posting history.
    It's what anyone would do, if they were actually serious.
    Where are the relevant posts?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah Jag, from what I know of highlander I don't think that question was meant as a challenge so much as just asking for more information. Being that this is primarily a typology site, it's a reasonable thing to ask. I realize that many people here don't actually believe in MBTI or enneagram or anything else. It's just helpful to better understand what brought them to those conclusions. In my case I feel that perhaps they have considered some things that I haven't as they have been thinking about that stuff longer. Can't speak for highlander though.

MBTI
    xSTP

You have to understand Ni and how it works. Ni is about understanding concepts internally, and whether MBTI is wholely applicable or not you still learn to understand, to work with people, see new POVs, etc. Some people *cough* sim *cough* get so caught up on the theory that they forget to see whats around them and about people and focus on the theory. When I say understanding internally I dont mean take in MBTI strictly, but a combination of MBTI and life and understanding on here that the 2 combine and interact and yours and my MBTI becomes part of the puzzle as everyone else is trying to understand as well.

Some are on here to learn MBTI without the "formal theory", some are here to learn the theory, some are just here because its fun playing with people about who they are, who they think they are, who they try to hide, and who they try to be.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

Moving to the BVI Array highlander's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Sim used to pull that same tactic on members. If anyone didn't agree with his POV he'd shoot this line at them: "Why are you here?"

I think this exchange is necessary to remind you, and others, of what this forum is:

Enough said.
    Yeah, I'm with MacGuffin on this. It is an honest question - not a tactic. Are you saying you are here because you're interested in investigating and critiquing MBTI or typology? If so, why? Why do you care about it at all? I guess that is what I am trying to understand.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Was that at me? I'm a Ni dom...

I know Jag is sort of skeptical about the whole thing but never have really heard why. I kind of waffle back and forth about how I feel about MBTI, functions, enneagram etc, so I was looking for more information from his perspective.

Moving to the BVI Array highlander's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I am w/ you, Jaguar. I know there are some general differences between Fe and Fi but once you try to go deeper, it becomes arbitrary because of so many other factors. I hate the forced divide. How many of the differences could you really account for just based on Fi and Fe?
    I don't think it's arbitrary at all. You might be saying that people use both, but the more I learn, the more I realize how different the two functions actually are.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Plumage and Moult Array proteanmix's Avatar
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't think it's arbitrary at all. You might be saying that people use both, but the more I learn, the more I realize how different the two functions actually are.
    The continued assertion that the two functions are so different is meaningless when you're on a granular level. If a Fe user gets burned by a flame they go "ow!" and a Fi user goes "aw!" Literally like the nerves and sensors of the body react in completely different ways. People act like Fe and Fi users have completely different emotional repertoires, that concepts don't translate between languages and if they do it's a barely understandable translation. I believe the people that have the most problems bridging between the Fe or Fi users in their real life (I think these miscommunications are exacerbated online) are the ones that are very deeply entrenched in their Fe or Fi mindsets.

These are the ones that believe if you know whether or not they're a Fe/Fi that you can predict what car they drive, what job they have, a person's political and religious affiliations, the color of their socks, and what kind of toothpaste they use. When people start linking behaviors and belief systems to this my eyes glaze. The thing about it is you can't prove or disprove anything so it's like the song that doesn't end.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Page 8 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast