User Tag List

Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 765

Thread: Dear Fe User,

  1. #541
    reborn Array PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,286

    Default

    (Sorry Fe users; I know this post will likely sound hokey to you. )

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    When my emotions, my inspiration, are the strongest, I find that I have very little originality or spark. It's as if I cannot find any good way to express what I need to express, the inner light is too intense to resolve into an image for others to see - it is noise without form - even to me.
    This sentence is the key; to turn this into a visualization, Fi is the clay - it's learning to take one's hands and other tools to shape it, work it, turn it to a work of art.

    So let's more deeply imagine Fi as the clay, Te as the wheel, Ni (or Si) as the hands. When you have hands and a wheel first - the tools - then are presented with the clay, you have established already some context with which to work the clay. Yet if presented first with clay, a great chunk of it, but no tools, what must one do to turn this mass into something that has a recognizable form? One must look around, see what's available to work with, develop proficiency to even start getting that mass of Fi shaped into something visually appealing to the world.

    So the step beyond all that is to realize that Fi is not only a source material, the clay, but it is one of the tools too.

    You say that "the inner light is too intense to resolve into an image for others to see" - what I am trying to say is if that inner light is Fi, one must find the way to reveal it to the world, not through working it to become what you think it should become, but transcending that, letting it both shape and be shaped. Letting it both be the light and what is revealed by the light.

    Struggling to put that into words, but will work more on this.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  2. #542
    Active Member Array Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    9,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    So let's more deeply imagine Fi as the clay, Te as the wheel, Ni (or Si) as the hands. When you have hands and a wheel first - the tools - then are presented with the clay, you have established already some context with which to work the clay. Yet if presented first with clay, a great chunk of it, but no tools, what must one do to turn this mass into something that has a recognizable form? One must look around, see what's available to work with, develop proficiency to even start getting that mass of Fi shaped into something visually appealing to the world.

    So the step beyond all that is to realize that Fi is not only a source material, the clay, but it is one of the tools too.

    You say that "the inner light is too intense to resolve into an image for others to see" - what I am trying to say is if that inner light is Fi, one must find the way to reveal it to the world, not through working it to become what you think it should become, but transcending that, letting it both shape and be shaped. Letting it both be the light and what is revealed by the light.

    Struggling to put that into words, but will work more on this.
    Learn to express your Fi in a manner that is acceptable and appealing to the world. In other words, live it, dont try so hard to understand it.

    I am woman, see me shine....sorry, introverted thinking judgement function took over. *takes ass kicking from people trying to help, apologizes to PB* *bows out*

    PS...And yes its much more then shining.

  3. #543
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    So as long as the perspective doesnt relate to how you feel you will be able to bend it willy-nilly. But what if the perspective affects how you feel? If INTJs speak Ni, then doesnt Fi come out in an Ni manner, and isnt being true to Fi mean you become stubborn to Ni as well? So U, can you infact be as open with Ni as you say you are?
    Ni isn't the twisting or bending itself. Rather, Ni keeps track of the whole thing, as an entity.

    Try this on for size. I'll use quantum mechanics because it's an objective topic and we can keep track of the transformations more easily than with a subjective topic.

    With Ni (sort of, this is an analogy), it is possible to keep track that light is both particles and waves, that it travels all possible paths, but that they cancel out and only particular paths are observed. In a particular instance, the particle model is more apt, especially if boundary conditions are set up to emphasize it. Similarly, the wave model is more apt for other cases. But the full reality is the full particle-wave-quantum-electrodynamic function that accounts for everything. Explaining that full reality (analogous to one's own full Fi reality) is doable in very special cases, but is usually going to get lost. Various observers have their own boundary conditions. They see particular paths, but not others. They see just particles, or just waves. I can try to make those that see the waves see the particles, or vice versa, but it is a difficult task. Even upon unequivocally demonstrating that it is both particle and wave, they'll be stuck asking how it all can possibly be true? Isn't it self contradictory, they'll ask. I say it isn't, that it is what it is, and it is real, but even then, it's kind of hard for those others to believe me.

    Now that is all an objective matter, where I can point with authority to the collective knowledge of physicists everywhere and minds greater than mine. How do I do the same with Fi, which is extremely subjective?

    This is what I mean by the "resonance." If I know they can see just the particle, and not the wave, I can explain most everything by just talking about particles. I know it isn't completely true, but I can give them more truth than they had before, and - who knows? - maybe they'll run up against the limits of the model them selves and become open to understanding the "wave truth", too, and perhaps eventually the "full truth."

    Is my mind twisting and bending and altering how I feel? Yes and no. It is definitely capable of it, and it is a tool I use both for self control and to achieve understanding. But it can also be abused. INTJs typically use Ni and shove their feelings off to one side, pretending that they don't feel them, that they're really logical and not at all subject to emotion. Eventually, this blows up, because this is using Ni to hide the truth rather than find it. As long is Ni is open to the truth, it's all good.

    Each perspective is "true", but they can tend to contradict each other. The translation "between" the perspectives, at least within my own mind, is by going back to the core truth as I understand it, change the lighting a bit, and cast a "true" shadow on a different wall. The core, the truth, the Fi, stays constant. I evoke different aspects which can be explored in a concise way.

    Also a part of all of this is finding a "true Fi" within oneself. One of the hardest Fi lessons is that we really don't know what we want. It's why I chose, "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," as the example song. We seek and acquire and do things that we think we want, but in the end we aren't satisfied. It isn't just a petulant dissatisfaction, though, but an underlying human need to really understand. It's also expressed by this piece of music:

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbArUJBRRJ0"]The Unanswered Question - Charles Ives[/YOUTUBE]

    So, what Ni lets me do, is partly answer the "Fi question", within a small, specific instance, and share that. I can share any particular instance, but not the "whole thing." If I share enough instances, others can start interpolating what I see for themselves, but I can't share it as a whole. The reason I bring this up is that "being true to Fi" can be very misleading to oneself - that the instantaneous feeling of the moment is real, and meaningful, but it isn't "true" as I would describe "true," but rather one of the "instances" which is part of a larger truth. Regarding the instance as a truth is a mistake.

    I should point out that this is a very different thing than Fi with Si, and PB, Oro and other NFPs are far more adept at describing and understanding Fi in the Si context. This is why while my Fi descriptions do resonate with them, there will always be something "slightly off" as far as they are concerned, because that Si context will be very different than my Ni context in particular cases. I believe this is because while we might see the same Fi truths, we map them differently within ourselves.

  4. #544
    Active Member Array Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    9,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Ni isn't the twisting or bending itself. Rather, Ni keeps track of the whole thing, as an entity.

    Try this on for size. I'll use quantum mechanics because it's an objective topic and we can keep track of the transformations more easily than with a subjective topic.

    With Ni (sort of, this is an analogy), it is possible to keep track that light is both particles and waves, that it travels all possible paths, but that they cancel out and only particular paths are observed. In a particular instance, the particle model is more apt, especially if boundary conditions are set up to emphasize it. Similarly, the wave model is more apt for other cases. But the full reality is the full particle-wave-quantum-electrodynamic function that accounts for everything. Explaining that full reality (analogous to one's own full Fi reality) is doable in very special cases, but is usually going to get lost. Various observers have their own boundary conditions. They see particular paths, but not others. They see just particles, or just waves. I can try to make those that see the waves see the particles, or vice versa, but it is a difficult task. Even upon unequivocally demonstrating that it is both particle and wave, they'll be stuck asking how it all can possibly be true? Isn't it self contradictory, they'll ask. I say it isn't, that it is what it is, and it is real, but even then, it's kind of hard for those others to believe me.

    Now that is all an objective matter, where I can point with authority to the collective knowledge of physicists everywhere and minds greater than mine. How do I do the same with Fi, which is extremely subjective?

    This is what I mean by the "resonance." If I know they can see just the particle, and not the wave, I can explain most everything by just talking about particles. I know it isn't completely true, but I can give them more truth than they had before, and - who knows? - maybe they'll run up against the limits of the model them selves and become open to understanding the "wave truth", too, and perhaps eventually the "full truth."

    Is my mind twisting and bending and altering how I feel? Yes and no. It is definitely capable of it, and it is a tool I use both for self control and to achieve understanding. But it can also be abused. INTJs typically use Ni and shove their feelings off to one side, pretending that they don't feel them, that they're really logical and not at all subject to emotion. Eventually, this blows up, because this is using Ni to hide the truth rather than find it. As long is Ni is open to the truth, it's all good.

    Each perspective is "true", but they can tend to contradict each other. The translation "between" the perspectives, at least within my own mind, is by going back to the core truth as I understand it, change the lighting a bit, and cast a "true" shadow on a different wall. The core, the truth, the Fi, stays constant. I evoke different aspects which can be explored in a concise way.

    Also a part of all of this is finding a "true Fi" within oneself. One of the hardest Fi lessons is that we really don't know what we want. It's why I chose, "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," as the example song. We seek and acquire and do things that we think we want, but in the end we aren't satisfied. It isn't just a petulant dissatisfaction, though, but an underlying human need to really understand. It's also expressed by this piece of music:

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbArUJBRRJ0"]The Unanswered Question - Charles Ives[/YOUTUBE]

    So, what Ni lets me do, is partly answer the "Fi question", within a small, specific instance, and share that. I can share any particular instance, but not the "whole thing." If I share enough instances, others can start interpolating what I see for themselves, but I can't share it as a whole. The reason I bring this up is that "being true to Fi" can be very misleading to oneself - that the instantaneous feeling of the moment is real, and meaningful, but it isn't "true" as I would describe "true," but rather one of the "instances" which is part of a larger truth. Regarding the instance as a truth is a mistake.

    I should point out that this is a very different thing than Fi with Si, and PB, Oro and other NFPs are far more adept at describing and understanding Fi in the Si context. This is why while my Fi descriptions do resonate with them, there will always be something "slightly off" as far as they are concerned, because that Si context will be very different than my Ni context in particular cases. I believe this is because while we might see the same Fi truths, we map them differently within ourselves.
    Woohoo, what I do with Ti. Thanks, your Ni combined with your explanation of the bigger pictured allowed me to be able to partly understand what I do with Ti.

    So what if you have two particle models that are different subjectively and you are trying to mold one into a wave so you can apply things in the fashion you did above? What do you end up with?

  5. #545
    Filthy Apes! Array Kalach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I know you did it to see if I'd zone it on that (the value judgement rather than the more objective content) and, no, I don't expect you to be sorry.
    Technically, no, I didn't do it to catch attention, I did it to insult. I do regard trying on all the hats and, if only ever so briefly, claiming them all as one's own, to be retarded. What's retarded about it? Nothing, if one is an extroverted perciever. One doesn't begin to know if one doesn't have a suggest and a do, right? But as an introverted perceiver, it's wasteful and significantly without merit, most especially when I have already begun to track a truth, though only through my own perception.

    I expect you to realize though that it comes more from your subjective Fi than your objective Te, which is relevant to the conversation we've been having, n'est-ce pas?
    I do realize it comes from subjective Fi. Subjective Fi tags my own efforts within myself with concern and investment. And you do realise that my own efforts include seeking out truths, right? So when ENFPs wander in and do their adorable Te and be all manly and competent, well that'd be fine if there wasn't so much misdirection included in it too, that no one acknowledges as not Te, which actively blocks further investigation of what it really is and how it came to be. Quite a lot of ego invested in being a thinker, you FPs. Personally I found it liberating to realise I wasn't that much of a thinker.

    I expect you realise you're staking out your territory as much as I am.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

    Boy meets Grr

  6. #546
    Permabanned Array
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Technically, no, I didn't do it to catch attention, I did it to insult.
    And here I thought INTJs were so clever and strategic, trying to intellectually test people, when in truth they do just want to insult others.

    I am disappoint.

  7. #547
    Filthy Apes! Array Kalach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    It is strategic. Just like what Poki's going on about above. Anything different from what I feel is right is retarded, so you shouldn't even try it.


    And I assume we should not generalise from one INTJ's Fi to Fi in general. That would be like calling it a judgment function.





    EDIT: Interesting re the thread topic... a while back I found that some INFJ Ti talk sounded like values talk, and automatically therefore "felt" that to some degree it should be easy to compartmentalize and dismiss. Well, technically not dismiss, just register as personal and not widely applicable. But Fe doesn't do values like that.

    Or does it?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

    Boy meets Grr

  8. #548
    Permabanned Array
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Also I care more about how people treat other people, then I do about politics. Politics is just 2 or more people trying to reach a middle ground on a external topic that affects things in a round about way.
    Politics is about how people treat other people, and it affects people's lives immeasurably. As of yet no one has found a more effective way to manage large groups of people, which must be done, if you look backwards to the past and forward to the future instead of just living in the current moment. This is certainly more the domain of Fe and Te, neither function is probably especially important to you though, being the ISTP that I'm guessing you are. However, Fi also plays a role in determining underlying ethical issues that need to be maneuvered on a large scale by either Te or Fe (or at least what Fi feels should play a role).

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Thanks, that helps me shift things around. So what causes butthurt?
    Butthurt is most commonly caused by deranged parental figures, cute boys with big egos, and watching any act of humanity that could be theoretically symbolized as setting fire to a kitten.

  9. #549
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    This sentence is the key; to turn this into a visualization, Fi is the clay - it's learning to take one's hands and other tools to shape it, work it, turn it to a work of art.

    So let's more deeply imagine Fi as the clay, Te as the wheel, Ni (or Si) as the hands. When you have hands and a wheel first - the tools - then are presented with the clay, you have established already some context with which to work the clay. Yet if presented first with clay, a great chunk of it, but no tools, what must one do to turn this mass into something that has a recognizable form? One must look around, see what's available to work with, develop proficiency to even start getting that mass of Fi shaped into something visually appealing to the world.

    So the step beyond all that is to realize that Fi is not only a source material, the clay, but it is one of the tools too.

    You say that "the inner light is too intense to resolve into an image for others to see" - what I am trying to say is if that inner light is Fi, one must find the way to reveal it to the world, not through working it to become what you think it should become, but transcending that, letting it both shape and be shaped. Letting it both be the light and what is revealed by the light.

    Struggling to put that into words, but will work more on this.
    I think we're calling different things "Fi". Using my metaphor from the "Unanswered Question" post I used to reply to Poki, I think of the Fi as the "everything." [Though technically, the real Fi is how I process and evaluate that core "everything."] And sometimes, at really meaningful parts of my life, it's all on fire, it's all changing, it isn't what it used to be, and it isn't what it will be, yet. With practice, I probably could do something with it, but these times of my life are far too rare and fleeting for me to gain such practice - and as meaningful as they are to me, I don't want to go through them that often. In any event, my "real Fi" the judging function, just isn't done processing, yet. I don't know it (or myself) well enough yet. I can let it shape itself, but since it isn't done reshaping itself, that which was "true" a moment ago doesn't seem "true" a few moments later.

    I was mentioning that "too intense" case to make it clear that things can be "from the heart" but not quite "art." A heartfelt wail or shout for joy does evoke the proper response, but lacks the refinement/precision to describe what is really behind it all.

    It is when I am between these intense times in my life, when I come to really know and understand myself (as I am at that time), that it "just flows," and I can just let things shape themselves, as you put it.

  10. #550
    Active Member Array Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    9,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Technically, no, I didn't do it to catch attention, I did it to insult. I do regard trying on all the hats and, if only ever so briefly, claiming them all as one's own, to be retarded. What's retarded about it? Nothing, if one is an extroverted perciever. One doesn't begin to know if one doesn't have a suggest and a do, right? But as an introverted perceiver, it's wasteful and significantly without merit, most especially when I have already begun to track a truth, though only through my own perception.
    As an IP I can get between whats a suggestion and what is playing Do you use your perception to track the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you god? Sometimes one person is focused so much on a sole truth that they miss all the other things they do to reach the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Politics is about how people treat other people, and it affects people's lives immeasurably. As of yet no one has found a more effective way to manage large groups of people, which must be done, if you look backwards to the past and forward to the future instead of just living in the current moment. This is certainly more the domain of Fe and Te, neither function is probably especially important to you though, being the ISTP that I'm guessing you are. However, Fi also plays a role in determining underlying ethical issues that need to be maneuvered on a large scale by either Te or Fe (or at least what Fi feels should play a role).



    Butthurt is most commonly caused by deranged parental figures, cute boys with big egos, and watching any act of humanity that could be theoretically symbolized as setting fire to a kitten.
    Yes, its about forcing through legislation how people treat other people. What good does that do? Create people who are forced to do things, but really dont want to. Neither function is particularly important to me, Fe is my inferior and I tend to live in the realm of a person, instead of people. I spend so much time in this realm I dont know anything about politics, and the little bit I do expose myself to reveals 2 things. The first is that everything is a cluster f--k. The second is that I dont really care to debate. I like to argue with what I see that doesnt match up. That means that I will argue against and with both sides as I believe partially in both sides, while everyone else decides to take sides.

    I agree there is no better way yet to manage such a large group of people. Some people do their part to add a little to the whole, and some people do there part to help fully to a few people.

    edit: I actually prefer to be at walmart the day after thanksgiving in the middle of the crowd trying to help the poor people who get run over and smashed then even taking a step into politics.

Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The reason behind your user name.
    By Yloh in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: 09-27-2016, 12:57 PM
  2. NEW USER
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM
  3. That new user smell...
    By ewomack in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 12:14 PM
  4. hello from user #982738291
    By Electric in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 04:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •