User Tag List

View Poll Results: Mediocrity: what fits best?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an NJ and I hate mediocrity

13 30.23%
  • I'm an NJ and I'm okay with mediocrity

3 6.98%
  • I'm an NP and I hate mediocrity

12 27.91%
  • I'm an NP and I'm okay with mediocrity

5 11.63%
  • I'm an SJ and I hate mediocrity

3 6.98%
  • I'm an SJ and I'm okay with mediocrity

1 2.33%
  • I'm an SP and I hate mediocrity

1 2.33%
  • I'm an SP and I'm okay with mediocrity

5 11.63%
123 Last

Thread: Mediocrity

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Mediocrity

What do you think of mediocrity?
    If you do something, do you always try to be the best at it?
    Are you okay with a mediocre result if you don't have to work too hard?
    Are you okay with a mediocre result even if you did the best you could?

I hate mediocrity. When I was a student, I strived for 100%, not for a passing grade. I still do. I don't want to be a mediocre teacher. I want to be a good one. One of the best.
    The result is that I'd never get a mediocre result by a mediocre dedication - if I don't strive for 100%, I FAIL. I've done that a few times already.
    And I'm very disappointed when "the best I can" is only mediocre.

I've got a few ideas about link with type. I'd like to use the poll to test them.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I don't really like it all that much but I guess I'm willing to put up with it at times. It's also subjective, so what I do/do not consider mediocrity in myself or in others might not be the same all the time, or for others.

No. Well, it depends. Most of the time I try to keep my expectations low and do as much as is needed, and as little as possible. It's funny really, I don't feel that I've really put 100% of myself into anything and it doesn't bother me. Definitely not in situations where what I do doesn't mean all that much to me. However, anything I do has to fit my own definition of a "successful" result and the process leading to that result, and it is not the same in every situation. So, there are times when some things are just too important not to at least try to give your best at. I guess I've been spoiled by a lifetime of not really trying all that hard but still mostly getting very good results. I've definitely taken that for granted, so I'm waiting for a time when it will finally catch up with me in a negative way.

I believe so, but it is dependent on my own, I guess I could call it mood, at that particular moment. My definition of "working hard" at something is not constant either. So, it all depends.

No. In that case I feel like a failure because I've let myself down and it's devastating. It takes quite a long time to get over that.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't mind it as long as it does not get in my way.

No, I try my best at it, but I don't try to be the best. It's an important nuance.

If it's functional, yes - my result must have some sort of practical use or else I don't bother.

The result isn't what matters, if you failed something, you still learnt something. If I did the best I could, I would still try again and train until I get it right. Good results are about persistence.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

It always depends on what it is I am doing. About some things I just don't care much, and then I am okay with a mediocre result definitely. I know I could do better often, but I just don't see it worth investing more than necessary into it. If it is something which I care more about, or where I put more effort into it, it will bother me more and I usually try to do my best, but it is not the end of the world for me if it doesn't go all well every time.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    1. I'm disappointed by mediocrity, but I think that hatred is too strong of an emotion for something that deserves passing acknowledgment at best.

2. If I'm passionate about it. If I don't try my best, I need to evaluate if it's something I should be doing at all, or if I need to change my mental attitude.

3. This is a dangerous trap.

4. Yes, although I will be disappointed and a bit angry initially. However, in the end it just means I need to learn how to do it better next time.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm confused on my J/P status so I didn't vote in the poll.

I try to avoid it if at all possible.

I don't have to be the absolute best at it but I do believe in giving it my full effort if its something I care about or needs to get done. I definitely don't want to be the worst at it and I really don't like being just average at it. I don't have to be the very best but I strive to be better at it then most people.

Depends. Generally yes if it's an area I didn't care all that much about anyway.

No. It's very hard for me to handle it when I've given something my full effort and fallen short.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Not my style.

That's the only way I know how.

Depends.

Never.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I didn't answer the poll because my opinions on mediocrity depend on whether I'm talking about myself or about other people. With other people, I'm fairly accepting about it. I might get frustrated, but I'll also think "Not everyone is good at everything." The only time I'd get frustrated with other people for being mediocre would be if I was banking on them NOT being mediocre - i.e. if they were SUPPOSED to be GOOD, and not average/bad.

My standards for myself, on the other hand, are much higher. Therefore, with regards to me: I HATE mediocrity; I ALWAYS try to be, if not the best, then really excellent at what I do; I'm only okay with mediocre results when they don't really matter (i.e. when a mediocre result would be completely acceptable and smiled upon); and I CANNOT STAND IT if my best is not excellent. I've always been the type of student who hates getting anything lower than an A... so, naturally, my inevitable C in Micro-Economics this semester is absolutely killing me.

So... should I vote my opinion about my own mediocrity in the poll, or other people's?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

Not my style.
    Way to be!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I didn't answer the poll because my opinions on mediocrity depend on whether I'm talking about myself or about other people.
    I meant about yourself. I don't mind mediocrity in other people, either...
    For me, it also depends on subject or skill. I don't really mind being mediocre or just plain bad at sports. But if there is a chance of me being good at something, I strive for being the best.

I actually used strong words like "hate" because I don't want everybody to say they strive to be the best. I can imagine that everybody wants to be the best at something; but there are gradations in it.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

well as a teenager I only did what would be mediocre because I was bored in school. In my 20's and now 30's I want to be the best. Something I struggle with since I have such a bad education compared to what I want with my life (= the best).