User Tag List

View Poll Results: Mediocrity: what fits best?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an NJ and I hate mediocrity

13 30.23%
  • I'm an NJ and I'm okay with mediocrity

3 6.98%
  • I'm an NP and I hate mediocrity

12 27.91%
  • I'm an NP and I'm okay with mediocrity

5 11.63%
  • I'm an SJ and I hate mediocrity

3 6.98%
  • I'm an SJ and I'm okay with mediocrity

1 2.33%
  • I'm an SP and I hate mediocrity

1 2.33%
  • I'm an SP and I'm okay with mediocrity

5 11.63%
First 123 Last

Thread: Mediocrity

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It depends on the situation. It sounds like you're defining mediocrity as "anything less than perfect" or "less than my absolute best under ideal circumstances" which is well, unrealistic, I think.

I tend to balance results against the costs. You tend to get diminishing returns as you approach perfection. So I'd rather study 10 hours for a 90 than 50 hours for 100.

That said, I'm uncomfortable with results significantly below my norm, even if they are "passable". I don't have a need to be the best at everything, or anything, because I don't think it's realistic or worth it, but I would like to be in a high percentile.

btw, perfectionism can be very damaging both to your mind and your work. It isn't a positive trait at all in most situations, unless you learn to mitigate its negative consequences.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I meant about yourself. I don't mind mediocrity in other people, either...
    For me, it also depends on subject or skill. I don't really mind being mediocre or just plain bad at sports. But if there is a chance of me being good at something, I strive for being the best.

I actually used strong words like "hate" because I don't want everybody to say they strive to be the best. I can imagine that everybody wants to be the best at something; but there are gradations in it.
    Definitely. How it generally works for me is that I want to be GOOD at things (as opposed to "the best"; usually I won't care so much about being on top). If I'm not good at them, I'll avoid them as much as possible (e.g. sports), but if I'm not good at them and it's not a big deal and/or if I like it anyway, I'll keep doing it.
    That wasn't phrased well.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I tend to balance results against the costs. You tend to get diminishing returns as you approach perfection. So I'd rather study 10 hours for a 90 than 50 hours for 100.

i used to be very perfectionistic. but it can be quite detrimental. like i would turn in two perfect worksheets but i wouldn't turn in the last one because i didn't get time to finish it perfectly, and i would get a 67. but if i had just turned in the last one 3/4 the way done, i would have a 92. an A.

i think there are times when it's very worth it to give it your all (eg, a presentation at a conference or a final project), but on a daily basis it's usually more worth it to give it 97% and use your extra time to relax and have some fun.

i am also much, much harder on myself than on others. i always thought that was a fairly universal quality?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

As long it works, it's okay
    I don't aim for the best, unless its something I really care about

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

this is my attitude in the majority of my endeavors:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    What do you think of mediocrity?
    Well...it happens. I'm mediocre at a great number of things, since we don't have an infinity amount of time available.

If you do something, do you always try to be the best at it?
    No, of course. I always define "best" on an universe-wise fashion, so in order to always be the best at what I try to do, I would have to be at least the best all over the world. I guess there might be an area where I'm rather talented and manage to become "world champion", yet I don't have time to be the best at everything.
    Are you okay with a mediocre result if you don't have to work too hard?
    I would really not make that choice, yet if I was forced to, I would probably accept the situation. For example, if I've been ill I can't expect to perform that great.

I hate mediocrity. When I was a student, I strived for 100%, not for a passing grade. I still do. I don't want to be a mediocre teacher. I want to be a good one. One of the best.
    Many people all over the world get 100% grades. I define being "the best" as having won at least one Nobel Prize or World Championship, or something like that.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    SLI

I'm fine with mediocrity, as long as I judge myself to be competent. I want to be good at what I do and find myself putting in a lot of effort even with things that I really don't want to do, but I don't think perfection and being 'the best' is a worthy or even attainable goal. If I don't put that effort in, I can't really expect anything other than a mediocre result. I just try to get the job done and get it done well instead of getting competitive with myself or others.
    Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
    - Duke Leto Atreides

Johari/Nohari
    Because random people I meet on the internet are the best judges of my personality.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I've just read all the posts in this thread, and I'm quite puzzled. How can so many of you think they can be the best at what they do? Are you deluded, just plain unrealistic, or do you choose an extremely peculiar niche where you basically have 4-5 competitors all over the world?

Remember folks, being GOOD or GREAT is still very far from being the best. Being the best requires you to beat every other human being at a given point in time. It's not an easy feat, probability theory is against you.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

While I try and strive to do my best.... If I don't succeed at being the best I'm not going to have an absolute meltdown and beat myself up for the rest of my life.... Mediocrity is perfectly fine. Not even trying is worse than being mediocre.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I've just read all the posts in this thread, and I'm quite puzzled. How can so many of you think they can be the best at what they do? Are you deluded, just plain unrealistic, or do you choose an extremely peculiar niche where you basically have 4-5 competitors all over the world?

Remember folks, being GOOD or GREAT is still very far from being the best. Being the best requires you to beat every other human being at a given point in time. It's not an easy feat, probability theory is against you.
    My answer to the bolded: We/they don't. I'm guessing that most people on this thread haven't been thinking that hard about the terms they've been using. (This includes me.) After all:

1. The term "the best" was used in the OP (which affects everyone's resulting word choice), and
    2. "the best" might not mean, to the person using it, "the best in the world". It could mean "the best in my grade" or "the best in the HR department"...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!