• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mediocrity

Mediocrity: what fits best?

• I'm an NJ and I hate mediocrity

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I'm an NJ and I'm okay with mediocrity

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I'm an NP and I hate mediocrity

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I'm an NP and I'm okay with mediocrity

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I'm an SJ and I hate mediocrity

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I'm an SJ and I'm okay with mediocrity

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I'm an SP and I hate mediocrity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an SP and I'm okay with mediocrity

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
:yes:

i used to be very perfectionistic. but it can be quite detrimental. like i would turn in two perfect worksheets but i wouldn't turn in the last one because i didn't get time to finish it perfectly, and i would get a 67. but if i had just turned in the last one 3/4 the way done, i would have a 92. an A.

i think there are times when it's very worth it to give it your all (eg, a presentation at a conference or a final project), but on a daily basis it's usually more worth it to give it 97% and use your extra time to relax and have some fun.
i am also much, much harder on myself than on others. i always thought that was a fairly universal quality?

Exactly.

I think it's crazy to treat everything like your life is on the line. I used to do that with any opportunity to speak in front of people. I'd rehearse and rehearse and rehearse. Now it's like If I'm prepared and got what I want to say on my mind and my heart, it's gonna be okay. You should be able to chill and enjoy the moment!

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mediocrity, sometimes, is good enough.

Sometimes... I shoot for mediocrity so people don't constantly bug me to help them because they know I'm "good at something." It's so annoying in my job when I get interrupted by someone because they can't figure out how to do something and know that I will be able to help them...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being driven can take on different meanings whether you are thinking long or short term. Overdoing everything to perfection can result in less developed potential if the focus is short-term resulting in burnout. Long-term striving to fulfill one's entire potential requires balance and the ability to pace oneself. Just like you have to pick your battles, you have to pick your areas of excelling.

Even though I tend to be driven personally, I am neutral on the idea of mediocrity, because everything is relative. It doesn't mean more or less than the mid-range skill set for people in general. Everyone can't be an "expert", or if they are, then that skill level defines mediocre.

I think it is important to have a realistic view of oneself. I'd rather admit to my areas of mediocrity than be deluded into a sense of expertise. I'm a tough critic on my skill level and tend to require a lot of drive, work, and proof of my own skill. I try to maintain an openness to admit readily to areas of lesser skill.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Butbutbut... I'm not having fun while relaxing! There are mad projects to complete!!! I'm really frustrated if that body and mind of mine are weary of work and unable to use the 3% left for creating things.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Um... well I chose okay with it. It really depends. If it's something that I find really important, then I try to do my best at it. Other times I find I just don't care that much. Like, I didn't care that I got really average marks in school, but I cared when I was trying to write a script.

Sunny Ghost

mostly, i'm too lazy to put in the efforts to do great when it comes to school and what not. however, sometimes i'm more motivated than other times.

when it comes to work, however, i often strive to be above mediocre. but... occasionally, same story here. but overall, no.

when it comes to standing out and giving your all amongst a group or crowd, i'll often strive for mediocrity. this may sound crazy, but i just hate standing out and being great will often make one stand out. but i don't want to be the worse at something either. i shoot for average and mediocre.