User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Forbes says: Flirt your way into the corner office.

Forbes article from last August.

This article is creepy-hilarious in all sorts of ways, but ultimately I think it's about Te trying to understand Fe and, um getting it wrong.

Check it out.

MBTI
    INFP

You're right, the author did get it wrong and I'm surprised Forbes would run this article. Telling employees to "flirt" to get ahead in the workplace is bad advice that can backfire in the worse way. People in a committed relationship with high Fi could easily be offended and people with low understanding of Fe could misunderstand your intentions completely, at least that's how I see it. I believe in being friendly in a professional manner and have had no problems with that (even though I am very low Fe), but I don't know how I would feel if a male senior partner sent me an email *from his work computer* complementing me on my stilettos. That might get a low- grade reading on my creep-o-meter.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

they call what I call normal interaction flirting?!?!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There is already pressure for women to flirt in professional fields. It is a way of mixing the assertiveness of your skill and knowledge with passive, submissive gestures that are a reminder of one's 'gender role". I don't know what banking is like, but the performing arts can have a lot of this sort of thing going on. The communication can get convoluted. I think some women can handle it, but not all. I can't and have no desire to try. I also see it as a filter. If a potential employer wants someone who gives him that extra little tingle and not whoever is most qualified, then it doesn't sound like the right work environment for me. You present yourself that way, then you are expected to deliver - if not in an overtly sexual way, it is in a more subtle way to boost hormonal levels throughout the day and provide new fodder for sexual fantasies.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    they call what I call normal interaction flirting?!?!
    Seems kind of silly.

It really does depend on how far you go. No touchy or too graphic. Keep it light and fun.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ewww... I hate touching people (or especially them touching me!) unless they're the person that I'm sleeping with

also, I just show interest, ask questions, smile and make eye contact... the world of sales are BASED on those behaviors
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

How bizarre. Why would they even call that flirting?!? The way they defined it in the article, it seems like they just mean "Be friendly, ask them about themselves, laugh at their jokes, and don't be too sexual". I agree with whatever - isn't that how you should act towards people in the first place?

I think the OP's right - it's just a sad attempt at teaching Fe.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ewww... I hate touching people (or especially them touching me!) unless they're the person that I'm sleeping with
    I'm sort of the same. I never touch people. I let other people touch me(basically my brothers kids, because they don't know,),but I dont touch other people, ever!

Even when sleeping with them I need plastic in-between. I don't kiss any more either, I just eeek. I'm considering to bring the thin plastic you wrap with to put between the lips.

Unsure if they will think this is weird or a turn off though. I would really like that, as I don't see the point in swapping bodily fluids.

I'm worried I'm turning asexual. My interest is like zero these days. I still sometimes do it. I guess to feel normal or something.

MBTI
    XXFP

I'd agree that most of what they are describing is just basic social contact stuff. Although (in my view) social stuff of the forced, "ass-kissing bullshit" variety. Not that those behaviors can't be genuine, just in this context, I can imagine the author of the article with some big fake smile and pervasive strained eye contact and laughing too hard at things that aren't funny. The article has an additional sexual spin with the 'stiletto heels which add to her already tall frame' description and more.

In any case, this probably, (somewhat laughably), DOES work in a corporate setting, and less surprisingly, in less institutionalized environments. That said, I can see this blowing up in your face if you try it with the wrong people, who will either:

- see right through your bullshit and either use you or dismiss you
    - be oblivious, and think you are being genuine, and certainly cause problems for you
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Offog View Post
    ...ultimately I think it's about Te trying to understand Fe and, um getting it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    How bizarre. Why would they even call that flirting?!? The way they defined it in the article, it seems like they just mean "Be friendly, ask them about themselves, laugh at their jokes, and don't be too sexual". I agree with whatever - isn't that how you should act towards people in the first place?
    firmly agreed on both points

heck, i'm E and Fi and i feel like that's how i interact pretty consistently. be genuinely interested in the other person, be compassionate, and engage them in mutually-pleasing conversation. that's not flirting. or maybe that's why people think i'm flirting sometimes when i'm really not