First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    My husband is INFJ and he freely uses the F word all day long, for a variety of meanings, depending on tone and inflection. It is a real art he has perfected.
    I'd agree.

Emotions are cathartic and require thoughtful examination to adequately employ, as most of the "profound" ones arrive with a battery of peripheral intellectual luggage.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Hang on... I know that F's are supposed to be fluffy but I also expect them to have worse temperaments than a T!

If someone blows up a lot I usually take that as a sign of someone being an F. Ts don't tend to have hot temperaments really IMO.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Hang on... I know that F's are supposed to be fluffy but I also expect them to have worse temperaments than a T!

If someone blows up a lot I usually take that as a sign of someone being an F. Ts don't tend to have hot temperaments really IMO.
    True, T's tend to be creative and obscure with their insults and it takes a clever F to catch on.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    True, T's tend to be creative and obscure with their insults and it takes a clever F to catch on.
    Usually for an F to feel insulted, they have to take something as a personal attack, regardless of weather or not it was intended to be such. When Ts insult it's rarely the cheap emotional jab that Fs know so well.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    Usually for an F to feel insulted, they have to take something as a personal attack, regardless of weather or not it was intended to be such. When Ts insult it's rarely the cheap emotional jab that Fs know so well.
    True. So what type are prone to offering these cheap emotion jabs you speak of? I will say it would be so much easier to get at me, than at my husband. He has that water off a ducks back approach that I wish I possessed. Well anyway I'm working on it.

MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

True. So what type are prone to offering these cheap emotion jabs you speak of? I will say it would be so much easier to get at me, than at my husband. He has that water off a ducks back approach that I wish I possessed. Well anyway I'm working on it.
    ESFP- The best at quick, simple deep jabs.

ENFP- The best large scale, complicated attacks that effectively break people down.

I'm the same way, I usually just shrug off emotional attacks, the reasoning being that they must not have the mental ability to actually compete with me, so they break down to the simplest, default human response to conflict. (Yes I know this sounds conceited, but more often than not, it's the truth)

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    ESFP- The best at quick, simple deep jabs.

ENFP- The best large scale, complicated attacks that effectively break people down.

I'm the same way, I usually just shrug off emotional attacks, the reasoning being that they must not have the mental ability to actually compete with me, so they break down to the simplest, default human response to conflict. (Yes I know this sounds conceited, but more often than not, it's the truth)
    So what about male vs female? I've known T women that were easier to get to than their male counterparts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

This, among other things, is why I think my M-I-L is a T. She can insult me and I won't figure out I've been insulted for 30 minutes or more. But she has one of the most explosive tempers I've ever seen. And she blows up frequently, like full-blown temper tantrums complete with yelling, cursing, and slamming things around on a near-daily basis. I honestly can't even imagine the kind of energy it must take. I am totally capable of flying off the handle, but it happens infrequently and I'm much more likely to be snarky than explosive.

I just don't think temper is a T/F thing. It's something seperate and your environment growing up can influence it as well as your level of emotional maturity and the effectiveness of your coping skills.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

So what about male vs female? I've known T women that were easier to get to than their male counterparts.
    That doesn't surprise me, because all stereotypes aside, women tend to me more emotional than men, sometimes unpredictably so. Some of the best insults I have ever been witness to were from female Ts. The most scathing attack is 95% T with that barley noticeable 5% emotion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I've a similar nonchalance; very little gets to me.

I'd imagine that all types - when properly stimulated - share the possibility for emotional outburst; context seems the primary variable.

For example, my wife can (occasionally) rend my stoicism with little effort - certainly to the extent that I'd respond with an emotionally-charged behavior. Her precision needn't be specific and is usually something simple (nagging/not responding to my nagging ).

Conversely, the same essential formula/line of wording from (very probably) most anyone else in my life would elicit a dampened emotional response and/or outright dismissal.

The central negotiator seems familiarity - the closer we are, the deeper the wound, I find.