User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Emectar View Post
    When Jung wrote about the perfectly balanced type was it in a positive light?
    Indeed. It was one of his more sober moments. And he was talking about me

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by marseilaise View Post
    It basically means that one of the functions does not overshadow the other. But it is hardly achievable. Some authors argue that the functions are developed throughout the life span. After 30s the tetriary function can be also developed, while in the 40s and 50s also the 4th one can come to light, and then the person becomes even more adaptive. Maybe it means that our preferences change. Because MBTI gives us information how the person rgathers information and makes decisions in order to adapt and respond to life's challenges.
    Yes - that's right. I'm still not it sure being balanced means not having preferences.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Perhaps he is perfectly balanced, or maybe he is compensating on the test. I know when I take those tests, if I fill in too many one way, I am inclined to want to fill in something else to make myself more "well rounded." It's hard to be perfectly honest on the MBTI tests. I also sometimes want to answer something based on the type of person I respect, and not the type that I am.

Try giving him a functions test. (is that what it is called?) It asks the questions in a completely different way.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

balanced and integrated mean different things. your development in jungian theory is a process of becoming more conscious. you don't use your functions. you have certain processes that provide you with more conscious attention/intervention (than others which still go on just at a less conscious level) in specific cognitive activities. then you slowly are able to consciously incorporate slightly more of the other side of the brain specifically with respect to your developmental path. this gives you more communicative solidity or more experiential awareness and helps ground and diffuse you, provide more consistency and hierarchy or more subjective open-endedness (space, time awareness) and possibility.

your introversion/extroversion in a social sense has to do with finding the activities/work that allows you to best used both i and e conscious functions and it has to do with your energy type in enneagram theory regarding sx/so/sp and finding a proper balance/distribution for that so it isn't completely distorted around just one instinctual pattern. the diffusion helps, while still relying on your preferences to construct a realistic system for yourself in which your well-being can flourish. but this type of distortion generally requires ego work to make serious improvements too. i like a combination of maitri/almaas and condon (+ his nlp background) to locate enneagramatic conflicts. i think they have the best maps. riso hudson have some good ideas regarding healthy development and some of their extraneous theories are useful, but i feel like they lack the lucidity in their actual types compared to these others. they don't pull out the conflicts in a way that is clean enough to directly superimpose with jungian theory. i remember palmer being even worse at this and making e5 = intp regardless of the other possibilities. the language wasn't neutral enough in specific places.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

One or more of the following scenarios is probably true for Mr. 'XXXX':

*He has developed his nonpreferred functions to a good degree.

*He is being pressured to act in ways counter to his true preferences.

*He feels his true preferences have not been valued enough and is answering the questionnaire in terms of what he thinks is more desirable to be.

*He has poor self awarness and doesn't know what he really prefers.

*He wants to give off the all things to all people impression so is answering the questionnaire in a way to put him towards the middle on all preferences.

*He might have answered the questionairre perfectly honestly with excellent self-awarness. He may simply be one of those hard to pin down people in regards to type. He may happen to be pretty balanced in regards to E/I, S/N, T/F, and J/P. Even if he appears balanced, there is probably some deep down underlying preference in there somewhere.

I'm not sure which of the above scenarios holds most true for him. I think an XXXX result is quite unusual. Usually there is a more pronounced preference on at least one of the scales.

Have you tried asking him how he behaved in childhood and how he's changed in behavior throughout the course of his life? His childhood behavior might be a way of getting at his true preferences before external pressures to be some other type have had much chance to take over.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post

*He feels his true preferences have not been valued enough and is answering the questionnaire in terms of what he thinks is more desirable to be.

*He wants to give off the all things to all people impression so is answering the questionnaire in a way to put him towards the middle on all preferences.

*He might have answered the questionairre perfectly honestly with excellent self-awarness. He may simply be one of those hard to pin down people in regards to type. He may happen to be pretty balanced in regards to E/I, S/N, T/F, and J/P. Even if he appears balanced, there is probably some deep down underlying preference in there somewhere.

I'm not sure which of the above scenarios holds most true for him. I think an XXXX result is quite unusual. Usually there is a more pronounced preference on at least one of the scales.

Have you tried asking him how he behaved in childhood and how he's changed in behavior throughout the course of his life? His childhood behavior might be a way of getting at his true preferences before external pressures to be some other type have had much chance to take over.
    These seem like good/likely scenarios

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

These seem like good/likely scenarios

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If it is "so close to the perfectly balanced personality that Jung wrote about", then talk about that.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm still not it sure being balanced means not having preferences.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    Try giving him a functions test. (is that what it is called?) It asks the questions in a completely different way.
    Therefore, this.

I mean, is his F-T balance between Ti and Fe, or Te and Fi? Is his N-S balance between Ni and Se, or Ne and Si?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Someone with such a "perfectly balanced type" would seem a jack of all trades, master of none.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Someone with such a "perfectly balanced type" would seem a jack of all trades, master of none.
    Agreed. To an extent. With qualifications.

There may be diminishing marginal returns to utilizing any one function, and thus practice at other functions may yield greater benefit than continually putting all one's energy into just one or two functions.

If one had infinite time, then it would probably be smart to assume that, given one has the capacity to learn to utilize other functions, it would be smart for one to eventually switch one's efforts to developing those other functions.

The question then becomes how quickly one can learn to utilize other functions with skill, and how much time one has to do so...