• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identity, group identity and personality descriptions

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I responded to this post in another thread and thought it might be better to discuss as a seperate thread.

I hope some have some input to this.

Fi is all the things that have been written about it by experts who have studied it. Even if you don't like it.. SO why people keep feeling the need to redefine a well defined concept is beyond me.

Here is an idea for you to consider.. Those things you feel inside of you that seem to contradict descriptions of Fi , contradict Fi.. because they are NOT Fi.. If you recognize something in the description of Ti or Fe or Si or Ne That's because that is what you are using.. It does not mean the Pioneers and practitioners of Typology got it wrong . It means that you ALSO USE OTHER FUNCTIONS.. You are an "FI dom".. that does mean you use Fi in every value judgment situation. Of course you also use Fe and Ti etc etc..

SO, lets leave the descriptions of the functions alone until we are accredited MBTI practitioners.
And let's listen to the pioneers and practitioners when they tell us.. that everyone uses ALL 8 FUNCTIONS to a degree and therefore there is all 16 types inside of us.. Sometimes we are going to see ourselves in others. and sometimes .. despite being an FI dom.. you are going to use Fe or Se in certain situations.

Every function has a good and bad to it.

Thanks

Arc.

I agree with most of what you wrote here.

When some selftyped INFs and INTs read the descriptions its all about some identity they view themselves in (particularly for teenagers) and in other cases group identity if we take the step into people that are a part subcultures. And not so much about whether they really use that particular function or not. Particularly when you look up a poorly written INFP description and INTp description, I suggest many teenagers see themselves as that.

For example look at the white supremacist website's thread about jung types. A huge percentage of them was typed as either INTJ or ISTJ. Im suggesting that a lot of these so called IXTJs really are not IXTJs but something completely different, but since the group identity of the forum might be stereotypical "IXTJ" a lot will consider themselves just that.

KDude

I repped you on that, but it needs to be said that I can't wrap my head around the idea of a bunch of INTJs gravitating towards a white supremacy site. Not necessarily because I think that's disrespectful to INTJs (it is), but just that Ni is kind of circumspect..INJs and ENJs have a lot of potential to "step out of whatever box they came from" and be well rounded. Maybe there'd be a few stragglers at a place like that, but I can't imagine it being a trend.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I know looking at a group and what they're doing can make yourself want to distance yourself from that function, too.

Like all the recent drama over Fi threads made me go, "Wow, this is not a group I approve of or want to belong to. It's so whiny and self-absorbed it's almost comical."

And it's not like I want to censor their right to whine about Fi definitions, and in fact I respect their space in the "Do you feel safe to discuss Fi..." so much that I will not make any additional posts in that thread, and I will certainly not write what I just wrote here.

However, in reality, does that mean that I DO NOT use Fi just because of that distancing that seems more similar to non-Fi-doms/aux? Who the hell knows.

I don't really believe in functions any more anyway, but I wanted to make a commentary on the identification with the group mentality from the perspective of also being repelled or wanting to distance because of behavior being associated with said type/function.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
To me it was always the biggest mistake in life to look for what others are doing to understand myself better.
I maybe am weirdo nowadays, but I am unique and nobody will ever match me.

To be an individualist is a thing humans are not made for and only few could of dream of achieving such a standard. You need a strong will, you need to cope with loneliness very good and you need to have an unhealthy self-conciousness / self-awareness.

It is neither desireable nor a fun thing to do and it wouldnt work without friends. But people who identify over groups and may it only be my work colleagues who label me nerd cause I watch startrek and play wow, those people piss me off. And I am sure they lack a lot of fantasy.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I know looking at a group and what they're doing can make yourself want to distance yourself from that function, too.

Like all the recent drama over Fi threads made me go, "Wow, this is not a group I approve of or want to belong to. It's so whiny and self-absorbed it's almost comical."

And it's not like I want to censor their right to whine about Fi definitions, and in fact I respect their space in the "Do you feel safe to discuss Fi..." so much that I will not make any additional posts in that thread, and I will certainly not write what I just wrote here.

However, in reality, does that mean that I DO NOT use Fi just because of that distancing that seems more similar to non-Fi-doms/aux? Who the hell knows.

I don't really believe in functions any more anyway, but I wanted to make a commentary on the identification with the group mentality from the perspective of also being repelled or wanting to distance because of behavior being associated with said type/function.

Yes I agree with about all you say here.

I do think however functions do play a role in our lives, but just on a less of scale than what Myerss-Briggs might suggest. There must be some genetic traits in our personality where the functions play a part. All humans are unique individuals, they have strengths and weaknesses and I think that functions - seen in metaphorically terms - do make us unique. Do we use all "functions" yes, because they metaphorically describes most of our cognitive and emotional sides as humans. Parents and groups do have a significant influence on us, yes.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Parents and groups do have a significant influence on us, yes.

This is very true. I tend to be very polite and formal with people to the point where my ESTJ cousin said I was "prissy". He meant I was unusually formal even in an informal setting. This has to do a lot with how I brought up. I would get a beating for showing bad manners...it was simply unacceptable in the culture and time that I grew up in.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
To me it was always the biggest mistake in life to look for what others are doing to understand myself better.
I maybe am weirdo nowadays, but I am unique and nobody will ever match me.

To be an individualist is a thing humans are not made for and only few could of dream of achieving such a standard. You need a strong will, you need to cope with loneliness very good and you need to have an unhealthy self-conciousness / self-awareness.

It is neither desireable nor a fun thing to do and it wouldnt work without friends. But people who identify over groups and may it only be my work colleagues who label me nerd cause I watch startrek and play wow, those people piss me off. And I am sure they lack a lot of fantasy.

Well put.

I will qualify it, as we need some kind of starting point. Wherever that is....family, friends, Apes- whatever. There is a need to compare/contrast until we realize that we are just that- unique, on a continuum of humanity. The flaw is that we are imperfect, so in that process we tend to become affected by what we do find.