• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database before u NEED to take a break?

How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database without you NEED take break?

• I am an S, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I am an N, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I am an S, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I am an S, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an S, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • I am an N, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • I am an S, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an S, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I am an N, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I am an S, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

• I am an N, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *less* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *more* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

• I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it less than 1 hours before I need to take a break.

• I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it 1-2 hour before I need to take a break.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I had to do it for a job, I could probably last several hours before going crazy but I'd have to have some break in there. Even if its just to go to the bathroom and grab a quick bite to eat or rest my arms. Without any break whatsoever, probably more like 1-2 hours.

When faced with repetitive tasks like this, I like to make a game out of it to pass the time. A job entering numbers all day would be far from ideal but I can think of things way worse, like dealing with with unpleasant customers all day.

wolfy

awsm
I could do it less than 30. If I had music maybe longer, maybe not.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd rather watch grass grow. I don't see how any human being could truly enjoy putting numbers into a computer unless it was to create something more significant.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
This was my main duty on my most recent job (truck dispatching), and something it looks like I'm gravitating back towards (data entry in general, I mean).

It was really super tough at first to mentally keep focused on it because let's face it, logistics is something SJs are good at, not so much SPs. In fact, I screwed quite a few things up, one time potentially costing the company a few thousand, though that kinda just fizzled out. Another time I totally didn't put Portland on the second destination so the driver dumped everything at Spokane. We had to go pick the Portland load up and deliver it, but my ISTP boss cleverly lined everything up where we just took care of it on runs we were already doing.

It's like my mind needs variation so much that it could do something the same way a 1,000 different times and on the 1,001 it does it differently just because. I'm horrible at forming habits on some things... at least for very long.

But yeah, I became used to it and I actually got pretty damn good at my job in general. What kept it interesting is that I ended up multi-tasking alot and my duties were actually important and people relied on my doing a quality job so it became pretty exciting sometimes.

Long story short, yes I would enter forms for at least six hours straight... although I can't say that it wasn't riddled with personal breaks all throughout. ;) At the end, though, I was pretty responsible and went with almost no breaks except for a minute or two here and there.

I don't think anyone could do it without any breaks whatsoever, even going straight through lunch (we ate lunch at our desks)... except maybe an SJ. Or another type who's had strict training. Unless a threat forced them to - then I would sober up (but let's face it, I love the thrill of danger looming on the horizon! :newwink: :devil:)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That is one of the rare jobs that will make me lose my mind if I do it for any time. I've handled 4 hours with little breaks inbetween without going nuts, but I've hated it.

I think I have done about 45 minutes at a time before getting exhausted. Too bad I did that job much too well.. I've done this in a few jobs, and every time the boss has been happy with my job performance, accuracy, etc. and usually rewarded me with more of the same job. I was able to convince one boss not to give me that kind of job anymore, without endangering my stay at the workplace. (sorry for the freaking grammar errors, I'm tired.)

Ok. One thing more. This is one of the few jobs I would spontaneously mention when asked about terrible job experiences. Yes, it's absolutely horrendous. Waste of human resources, waste of sanity.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i can barely write my 6 letter password, luckily it can be saved to most places

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure how to answer this, for fear of giving the wrong impression.

I can work on tedious things for a while (half a day up to maybe a full day if I'm in a good mood) but tend to really, really hate it. I'm not sure that means it's "easier" for me - I just value the end result enough to work for it. Also I really, really hate it after 2 days or so and would probably quit if possible. I did data entry for the govt for about 6 months, but it was ok because I could work for an hour or two every day, spaced n ~20 min intervals interspersed by internet surfing, emails etc - and still get praised for how much faster I did it than they had planned for (Seriously - they have low expectations). I don't mind it if it's just for <hour, and even 2-3 hours is ok if not too often....not every day.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure how to answer this, for fear of giving the wrong impression.

I can work on tedious things for a while (half a day up to maybe a full day if I'm in a good mood) but tend to really, really hate it. I'm not sure that means it's "easier" for me - I just value the end result enough to work for it. Also I really, really hate it after 2 days or so and would probably quit if possible. I did data entry for the govt for about 6 months, but it was ok because I could work for an hour or two every day, spaced n ~20 min intervals interspersed by internet surfing, emails etc - and still get praised for how much faster I did it than they had planned for (Seriously - they have low expectations). I don't mind it if it's just for <hour, and even 2-3 hours is ok if not too often....not every day.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say two hours maximum before I need to get up, rest, eat, or whatever. That is only because it is a job (which would be similar if this was for college.) If it was entering numbers into a database just for the sake of it, I won't last long.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
My first thought when I saw this question was "just kill me now." Any job that requires no thinking skills and constant repetition, well that's worse than prison.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
If the numbers had any meaning at all I could do it pretty well. I would be entering them and keeping myself interested by noticing patterns. Trying to figure out how to do it faster / with less typing involved would keep me somewhat entertained as well.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could do it for 2 hours, would be able to do it longer with music though. Just need a pee and food break. :laugh:

Unique

So, this will be anonymous Poll. Please be maximally honest. There is no right/wrong answer.

So.
Question is in the title. If you could "if your life depends on it" do it long, then dont put that answer, answer must be about your natural state. So, if you respect your needs, body etc. And also, dont answer that you'd like to take a break after x minutes to do something more fun. Because, you should view it like it's your JOB, and the break is only because you are tired/going nuts, not because there are more fun things to do.

ALSO: If you are not VERY sure of your S/N letter, then answer "i am unsure". VERY=80%+, I'd say. :D

You didn't factor in that some people taking this poll have ADD ;)

Fail.

P

Phantonym

My first thought when I saw this question was "just kill me now." Any job that requires no thinking skills and constant repetition, well that's worse than prison.

Hm. I have a hard time grasping this. Even if it is constant repetition, what on earth is stopping you from thinking and dreaming about other stuff not related to the work you're doing? Well, maybe it depends on the job I guess. If you have to watch out for not losing your hand in the process. But with my personal experience with a repetitive job, I totally zoned out while doing it. Once you acquire enough skill, it becomes automatic, you'll still be able to be good at it, but it doesn't feel like it's mindnumbing. But as I said, I guess it depends on the job.

Last edited:

Chloe

You didn't factor in that some people taking this poll have ADD ;)

Fail.

I didnt factor in that some people dont have hands or fingers to enter numbers, also.

Or i did : i guess someone with severe ADD* will know while answering the Poll that he cant answer it without taking ADD into consideration

* if we ignore the fact that ADD usually means NP anyway; so counting it twice would make statistical errors :tongue:
and I definately have ADD and when was kid i had ADHD and didnt learn to read until i was 12 or even older<- all NPness

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Boring, but I think that I could last 30 minutes before I suddenly need to visit the restroom. After 60 minutes, I will give in to the urge to stare out the window or run, screaming, for the nearest exit. There is only so much boredom that this SP can handle in one day!:steam:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I would probably need 30 seconds of pause every 10 minutes. Just to clear my head. But if we don't include this and food/toilet thing I could to this for quite some time. Even if I am not really interested in this kind of activities.

Btw be prepared that you will need to explain to me why this needs to be done in the first place.

Chloe

I would probably need 30 seconds of pause every 10 minutes. Just to clear my head. But if we don't include this and food/toilet thing I could to this for quite some time. Even if I am not really interested in this kind of activities.

You could do it... but would you be exhausted after doing it, that's the whole point. "everybody" can do it.

Btw be prepared that you will need to explain to me why this needs to be done in the first place.

What kind of explanation would be okay for you? Would "boss said those numbers are important" be fine ? Whole point is entering numbers, not doing it because you see a personal significance so you can "Pull it off". Point is about how long it wouldnt be a problem for you, so you dont need to find extra motivation.