• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database before u NEED to take a break?

How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database without you NEED take break?

• I am an S, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I am an N, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I am an S, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I am an S, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an S, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • I am an N, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • I am an S, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an S, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I am an N, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I am an S, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

• I am an N, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *less* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *more* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

• I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it less than 1 hours before I need to take a break.

• I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it 1-2 hour before I need to take a break.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You could do it... but would you be exhausted after doing it, that's the whole point. "everybody" can do it.

What kind of explanation would be okay for you? Would "boss said those numbers are important" be fine ? Whole point is entering numbers, not doing it because you see a personal significance so you can "Pull it off". Point is about how long it wouldnt be a problem for you, so you dont need to find extra motivation.

Well this certainly would not make me happy if we overlook that I could like it in a "job done" way after I finnish.
Also I have serious doubts that I did it right since I zone out on regular basis so in the case of this kind of a job I would do that for sure. Which means that there will huge number of mistakes in the database. Especially since I have to check every text I wrote for typos and bad grammar and I still don't notice some of them.

As for the boss thing. If the entire thing would last for about 2 hours and it is obvious that the boss is in the bad mood I would just take the work and do it. But in the case that it would take 2 weeks with 8 hours of work each day than I would probably ask a few things anyway.

But to give you a short answer: yes, after about 10 minutes I would need to start forcing myself.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
* if we ignore the fact that ADD usually means NP anyway

Hm interesting, since Keirsey speaks of SPs being the ones with so-called "ADD." After all, "ADD" kids tend to disrupt the class and look for fun/exciting things and sensory stimulation. :newwink:

A

A window to the soul

I couldn't do it. I would write a simple program, put her on autopilot, and walk away.

If the data source isn't electronic; such as, pages of papers, then I'm surely figuring out a way to do one of those ocr scans through a sheet feeder. Then, I'll parse the data somehow into a format that will easily transform/import into the database. and whala!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I would probably manage to keep on doing it for an hour straight, before needing a break. I would probably stand one month of such a job, if the pay was particularly good. Anything longer would have a serious impact on my sanity.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I actually do okay with this sort of task, and have a pretty long concentration span with that sort of thing, as long as I don't have to do it every day (then I'd feel like I'm going nowhere). If it was like doing my tax where I have to find a million little bits of info, I'd go nuts though. Just entering and checking numbers isn't too bad once you get in the swing of it. I chose 6 hours+. Was probably an overestimate though, because I'd need the task to have some importance before I'd consider it worth doing.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4 hours, probably, because I'd need to stretch my back or move my ass after that long, at the longest.

I don't really *get* bored; I can (and have!) do data entry forever, because I'm thinking about other stuff at the same time that I'm doing it.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Just because you could doesn't mean you should. I put 6+ hours anyway...

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i can go all night.
especially when i'm doing budgets.
excel is my friend.

Chloe

you can =/= is not exhausting to you

isnt this different a lot?

i could do it for maybe 24 hours if there is a deadline tomorrow with mini-breaks for 5 min every 20mins but then the correct answer to the poll is "0-30 minutes" not 24h....
i think most people immediately count this as 24 hours.

:)