User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database without you NEED take break?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an S, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

8 14.04%
  • I am an S, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

3 5.26%
  • I am an S, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

3 5.26%
  • I am an S, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

8 14.04%
  • I am an N, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

4 7.02%
  • I am an S, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an S, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

2 3.51%
  • I am an N, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

7 12.28%
  • I am an S, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

3 5.26%
  • I am an N, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

12 21.05%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *less* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

0 0%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *more* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it less than 1 hours before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it 1-2 hour before I need to take a break.

0 0%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database before u NEED to take a break?

Noon - are you 100% sure you are an S ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    See above; I only know what works for me. What you're describing isn't simply a matter of preference for detail. You're ignoring several other factors that aren't directly related to S or N: focus, perseverance, patience, preference for numbers, individual motivators, the list goes on. There are a number of highly detail-specific tasks that won't drive me nuts like this one undoubtedly would.
    so would putting WORDS in a database e easier for you?

about individual motivation - irrelevant completely. Question isnt would you enjoy doing it, it's how nuts would you go, because you cant control your natural preference. Assuming that nobody is very motivated to do it. Patience is kinda covered by question, overlaps. Focus on details too.

from what you said it turns out you answered more from the perspective that you wouldnt prefer to do it, you'd be bored etc. -but that IS irrelevant. It's relevant could you do it.

My guess would be that it's Te, which as an ISFJ, I don't prefer. In any case, I can't say I place much value upon what works for several other Ss. I only know what works for me, and my experience stands; different strokes for different folks.
    i have ISFJ friend that is doing similar job, and didnt go nuts. She doesnt LOVE it but its totally different approach than I could have. She is okay with it.

They should work on refining that
    I frankly find it ridiculous. MBTI "experts" could agree that color preference was relevant to type and I still wouldn't agree just because it has their stamp.
    colour preference is silly example. they dont associate STJs with accounting job for nothing. and this typing method works. it's not that people mistype because of this.
    Oh, God. My not seeing the relevance doesn't absolutely invalidate the possibility that it is. Like I've said several times over, I only know what works for me. For me it isn't relevant so I don't much care.
    really wasnt talking about you! in general. really. (but it was in the end of my post so...)

I watched so many Si dom girls do this with ease. They will say later that it was boring, uninteresting, will avoid doing it again etc... but while they are doing it, they are doing it much more naturally, without anxiety. I am turning around myself, become really anxious, they are more relaxed like they know it will be over eventually.... simply they can tolerate it for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    Noon - are you 100% sure you are an S ?
    I have a high preference for Feeling and Sensing.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan
    so would putting WORDS in a database e easier for you?
    I would have a much easier time, but I would still need frequent breaks. I would probably make too many careless mistakes with the numbers.

I don't have a problem with detail, but all detail isn't the same for me. Things like using scantron sheets, going over math work to check for accuracy, remembering specific dates, even reading a science or English grammar textbook... all not very good for me [though I can persevere with grammar more]. But I don't mind things like correcting spelling & grammar or reading recipes & ingredients, especially if with photographs. I easily recall audio-visual information in both gist and vivid detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan
    i have ISFJ friend that is doing similar job, and didnt go nuts. She doesnt LOVE it but its totally different approach than I could have. She is okay with it.
    Not me.

I could do the words thing maybe, but only if I didn't have to do it every single day, for hours each day.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    So yes of course its relevant - I didnt even invent this question. Its official quesion used by MBTI "experts" when they try to determine S/N letter.
    I wanted to test it.
    I was told that N's answers are "0-2 hours maximum" and they use it to "confirm N diagnosis" ...

but noooooo typoC experts know its irrelevant so it must be!

i dunno though petra, do you really see this playing out in life?

my mom's an ESFJ and while she has much better detail attention and memory than me, i don't think she would do very well at this either. she asks me to type up her work reports while she dictates sometimes, and i'm cool with it. you'd think we'd be exactly the opposite, given the Ne/Si stereotypes. my grandma is an ISFJ and she had a job as a secretary typing up dictated letters, and she kicked everyone's ass at typing, so that would be more along the lines of this question, but i don't know if she would be very happy about entering numbers in a database if they didn't really have any meaning to her. she's very much a people person (though an introvert) and, knowing her, i don't think she'd be interested unless she knew it served a humanistic purpose. the Se doms i know aren't always particularly patient either.

i'm not trying to argue against the validity of the MBTI system, but i have to agree with Noon that if the experts said that type correlated with something like color preference (which, who knows, it may), i would still be disinclined to use it as a basis for judgment. i just think there are so many confounders to the variables that it makes them hard questions to base judgment on. it's not that in general, it may not correlate, but it's not really a sound dividing line, either, because many S and Ns will fall to the opposite ends of where they are "supposed" to on the spectrum. i know this is true for many quiz questions, and can't be avoided to some extent, but i'd prefer questions that are more specifically tailored to theory.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i dunno though petra, do you really see this playing out in life?

my mom's an ESFJ and while she has much better detail attention and memory than me, i don't think she would do very well at this either. she asks me to type up her work reports while she dictates sometimes, and i'm cool with it. you'd think we'd be exactly the opposite, given the Ne/Si stereotypes. my grandma is an ISFJ and she had a job as a secretary typing up dictated letters, and she kicked everyone's ass at typing, so that would be more along the lines of this question, but i don't know if she would be very happy about entering numbers in a database if they didn't really have any meaning to her. she's very much a people person (though an introvert) and, knowing her, i don't think she'd be interested unless she knew it served a humanistic purpose. the Se doms i know aren't always particularly patient either.
    I dont see where we disagree, I never said your grandmom would be happy to enter numbers, see a meaning in it, interested... and you said yourself she was good at this... so ... this is exactly what i am saying.
    Also being patient is something unrelated to this, you can put it aside. when assessing this.
    i'm not trying to argue against the validity of the MBTI system, but i have to agree with Noon that if the experts said that type correlated with something like color preference (which, who knows, it may), i would still be disinclined to use it as a basis for judgment. i just think there are so many confounders to the variables that it makes them hard questions to base judgment on. it's not that in general, it may not correlate, but it's not really a sound dividing line, either, because many S and Ns will fall to the opposite ends of where they are "supposed" to on the spectrum. i know this is true for many quiz questions, and can't be avoided to some extent, but i'd prefer questions that are more specifically tailored to theory.
    It is used in oral type assessment, exactly because of people who think they will fall in line, because they misinterpret the question. Like you have in your grandmom's example. and some other in topic. I am not saying its the only criteria, but i think it's quite good if people would like to put likes/dislikes aside. Point is that if you and your grandmom both hated the numbers you are entering, she'd do it much easier, right ?!
    ANd about the underlined - the example is simply horrible. Who cares what color someone likes, this is not about liking anything.

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

If there is a deadline approaching.

I'll do it til it's done.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If there is a deadline approaching.

I'll do it til it's done.
    Me too, but that doesnt count. Because you'd be exhausted in the end, right ?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I can go several hours without a break, not a problem. Numerical data is easy to input.

In the bank the longest the team went was almost 11 hours (that was a bad day, lol) and we took a 10 min lunch break which was literally run downstairs, smoke very fast and back to work. We got a member of staff to get us all lunch and we just got on with it .. i got sciatica from that as to save time getting out of my chair to get another report, i leaned across the table everytime .. My bad.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've studied 11 hrs strait without a break.

That's my longest.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

I studied 16 hours, sleeping 8, and then again, every day, for 40 days