User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database without you NEED take break?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an S, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

8 14.04%
  • I am an S, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

3 5.26%
  • I am an S, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

3 5.26%
  • I am an S, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an N, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

8 14.04%
  • I am an N, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

4 7.02%
  • I am an S, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am an S, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

2 3.51%
  • I am an N, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

7 12.28%
  • I am an S, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

3 5.26%
  • I am an N, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

12 21.05%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *less* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

0 0%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *more* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it less than 1 hours before I need to take a break.

1 1.75%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it 1-2 hour before I need to take a break.

0 0%
First 12345 Last

Phantonym

I've done this kind of database entry work before for a while. Absolutely loved it, so I voted for 6+ hours. I think I once did it for like 14 hours straight and seriously, without a break. Hm, but I was also 10 years younger. I wouldn't probably do that much again voluntarily for a lifetime since I happen to like having a humpless back and avoiding getting all sorts of nasty conditions due to this kind of restricted movement work in the long run sounds like a good idea. But the work itself wasn't boring at all for me, after a while the number crunching just becomes automatic and once you're in the zone, it's like everything clicks and you totally kick ass at multitasking and keeping an eye on everything that's going on super fast. Whatever is going on with the body and what it needs, that's just something in the background until it gets really, really bad. Carpal tunnel syndrome sucks though, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    Si dom?:/
    I don't see the relevance. It's tedious and mind-numbingly boring to me. Few people enjoy being bored.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

crap, we're talking hours?

hahahaha. i was like hm... 15 minutes maybe...

i'm not really convinced this issue has much to do with N/S though

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i put an hour because i could make myself do that but truthfully in about 30 min i'd be pretty restless.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Hours is much too much, I notice my fingers start getting sweaty and I need to crack my knuckles or at least shake my fingers from the extra wrist action.

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    I don't see the relevance. It's tedious and mind-numbingly boring to me. Few people enjoy being bored.

You are aware that some people do this with ease for their job their whole life?

It is NOT about being BORED it is about going/not going nuts!

Example my aunt, I believe she is ESFP, she is working in chair factory and putting always the same piece of chair together, and then the next one etc.
    She has easier time doing it than I would about 1000x. I am pretty sure she hates her job and can think of 200000 more interesting things to do - but she does it easier than I would. I have trouble reading food recepies, ingredients, it makes me overwhelmed with details, so I know to do maybe 5 meals.
    My mom is an ISTJ and accountant; she does this numbers entering whole day and its fun for her. Like for many Si. Many people are working in government departments and have siimilar repetitive job like OP and dont go nuts within 30 minutes, most ot them are S. When I was in med school we were counting blood cells under microscope and I went nuts in 10seconds while many other SJs could do it for few hours.
    Dealing with details is easier for Ss; its not matter of having fun, its matter of how nuts you will go while doing it!!!! I am not saying Ss are having fun with this but you can notice its so much easier to them.

So yes of course its relevant - I didnt even invent this question. Its official quesion used by MBTI "experts" when they try to determine S/N letter.
    I wanted to test it.
    I was told that N's answers are "0-2 hours maximum" and they use it to "confirm N diagnosis" ...

but noooooo typoC experts know its irrelevant so it must be!
    Last edited by Chloe; 11-21-2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: ce

Anything over 1/2 hour would make me crazy. In the past, I've helped staff enter data for short periods of time to meet deadlines. The only thing that made it tolerable was to set up a competition between everyone with the winner receiving a prize and the loser, forced to work OT with the deliberately leftover amount.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

As boring as a task like that would be I could manage several hours of doing it, I mean I did complete high school and it's virtually the same thing. Granted all I would need to do is simply concentrate on the matter at hand until I stop becoming aware of my environment and focus only on entering numbers. But yeah, the only thing stoping me from entering number for beyond six hours or more is the physical limitations of my bladder.

It doesn't help that I smoke. I wonder what kind of upstanding, hardworking citizen I could become without that.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    You are aware that some people do this with ease for their job their whole life?
    I am aware. I'm not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan
    It is NOT about being BORED it is about going/not going nuts!
    Aside from the fact that I'm not a fan of numbers, performing tediously repetitive tasks with no favorable end = mind-numbing boredom = nuts, followed by strong resistance. That doesn't make me less of an SJ.

Example my aunt, I believe she is ESFP, she is working in chair factory and putting always the same piece of chair together, and then the next one etc.
    She has easier time doing it than I would about 1000x. I am pretty sure she hates her job and can think of 200000 more interesting things to do - but she does it easier than I would. I have trouble reading food recepies, ingredients, it makes me overwhelmed with details, so I know to do maybe 5 meals.
    My mom is an ISTJ and accountant; she does this numbers entering whole day and its fun for her. Like for many Si. Many people are working in government departments and have siimilar repetitive job like OP and dont go nuts within 30 minutes, most ot them are S. When I was in med school we were counting blood cells under microscope and I went nuts in 10seconds while many other SJs could do it for few hours.
    My guess would be that it's Te, which as an ISFJ, I don't prefer. In any case, I can't say I place much value upon what works for several other Ss. I only know what works for me, and my experience stands; different strokes for different folks.

Dealing eith details is easier for Ss; its not matter of having fun, its matter of how nuts you will go while doing it!!!! I am not saying Ss go nuts with this bu you can notice its so much easier to them.
    See above; I only know what works for me. What you're describing isn't simply a matter of preference for detail. You're ignoring several other factors that aren't directly related to S or N: focus, perseverance, patience, preference for numbers, individual motivators, the list goes on. There are a number of highly detail-specific tasks that won't drive me nuts like this one undoubtedly would.

So yes of course its relevant - I didnt even invent this question. Its official quesion used by MBTI "expert" when they try to determine S/N letter.
    I wanted to test it.
    I was told that N's answers are "2 hours maximum" and they use it to "confirm N diagnosis" ...
    They should work on refining that
    I frankly find it ridiculous. MBTI "experts" could agree that color preference was relevant to type and I still wouldn't agree just because it has their stamp.

but noooooo typoC experts know its irrelevant so it must be!
    Oh, God. My not seeing the relevance doesn't absolutely invalidate the possibility that it is. Like I've said several times over, I only know what works for me. For me it isn't relevant so I don't much care.