User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    The introvert's brain on idle mode.. they're using more of their brain when doing NOTHING than I'm probably using when I'm doing some technical job of mine WELL. No wonder they're irritated over almost any stimulus.
    Doing nothing requires a lot of thought.

Meanwhile, ENTJ "area of expertise": Pointing while reading.
    It didn't say whether their lips moved at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

[*] Te-doms and Ti-doms were more "mentally efficient." That is, there brains were minimally activated much of the time, unless interesting analysis was called for.
    Huh.

Something worth introspecting about, on my part.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

There's another study out on brains and personality... this time looking at the Big Five and the size of areas of the brain: Testing Predictions From Personality Neuroscience: Brain Structure and the Big Five.

This study includes some fun pictures:

From the discussion (note I give the MBTI equivalents, but keep in mind this table... talking about correlations of correlations gets to be a bit tenuous) :

Extraversion (which correlates with MBTI Extraversion, of course):
    Extraversion was associated with the volume of medial orbitofrontal cortex. This region is involved in coding the reward values of stimuli, and has therefore been hypothesized to be a substrate of Extraversion (Depue & Collins, 1999), which appears to reflect sensitivity to reward. Increased volume of orbitofrontal cortex has been associated with Extraversion in two other studies (Omura, Constable, & Canli, 2005; Rauch et al., 2005), and our study provides further evidence for this association.

Neuroticism (no MBTI equivalent)
    Neuroticism was associated with reduced volume in dorsomedial PFC and a segment of left medial temporal lobe including posterior hippocampus, and with increased volume in the mid-cingulate gyrus, including both gray and white matter. These associations are consistent with the theory that Neuroticism represents the primary manifestation in personality of sensitivity to threat and punishment, encompassing traits that involve negative emotion and emotional dysregulation. J.A.

These associations are consistent with the theory that Neuroticism represents the primary manifestation in personality of sensitivity to threat and punishment, encompassing traits that involve negative emotion and emotional dysregulation. J.A. Gray and McNaughton (2000) have implicated the hippocampus in the detection of uncertainty and goal conflict and in the control of rumination and anxiety, functions they linked to Neuroticism. In addition, reduced hippocampal volume has been associated with stress and depression (Bremner et al., 2000). The mid-cingulate cortex has been associated with detection of error and response to pain, both physical and emotional (Carter et al., 1998; Eisenberger & Lieberman, 2004). A larger volume in this region in individuals who score higher in Neuroticism may reflect higher sensitivity both to the possibility of error and to pain following punishment. Finally, dorsomedial PFC has been implicated in evaluation of the self and in emotion regulation (Heatherton et al., 2004; Ochsner & Gross, 2005). A smaller volume in this region may be related to the emotional dysregulation associated with Neuroticism and to the related tendency to evaluate the self negatively. Taken together, these associations present clear evidence that Neuroticism is broadly related to variation in brain systems governing sensitivity to threat and punishment.
    So neuroticism is related to (among other things) a sensitivity to pain and punishment, combined with an inability to self regulate.

Agreeableness (which correlates with MBTI Feeling):
    Agreeableness was associated with reduced volume in posterior left superior temporal sulcus and with increased volume in posterior cingulate cortex. The superior temporal sulcus is involved in the interpretation of other individuals’ actions and intentions on the basis of biological motion (Pelphrey & Morris, 2006), a process that may be more efficient in individuals who score higher in Agreeableness. The posterior cingulate has been implicated in the process of understanding other individuals’ beliefs, a sophisticated, late-emerging component of theory of mind (Saxe & Powell, 2006). These associations are consistent with the hypothesis that Agreeableness is associated with the social information processing that enables and motivates altruistic behavior. We also found an association between Agreeableness and volume in the fusiform gyrus, which we did not predict, but which is nonetheless consistent with a social information processing function, given the area's proximity to the fusiform region specialized for perceiving faces (Kanwisher, McDermott, & Chun, 1997).
    No huge surprises there.

Conscientiousness (which correlates with MBTI Judging):
    Conscientiousness was associated positively with volume of the middle frontal gyrus in left lateral PFC. The region of association was large, stretching from close to the frontal pole to the posterior region of lateral PFC. The middle frontal gyrus is crucially involved in maintaining information in working memory and in the execution of planned action. In terms of brain function, moving from posterior to anterior regions of lateral PFC appears to entail an increasing hierarchy of abstraction and complexity, in terms of rules that are maintained and selected to guide behavior (Bunge & Zelazo, 2006). Our results may therefore reflect the association of Conscientiousness with effective self-regulation at multiple levels of complexity, which would be in keeping with this trait's importance as a predictor of academic and occupational performance, health, and longevity.
    Which makes sense, considering that conscientiousness (or Judging) applies on a number of broad levels.

Openness/Intellect (which correlates with MBTI iNtuition):
    We found no associations with Openness/Intellect in regions large enough to be significant at p < .05, corrected. However, we did find that Openness/Intellect was associated—at p < .01, uncorrected—with one region consistent with our hypotheses: an area of parietal cortex involved in working memory and the control of attention. A previous study found that a nearly identical region (Talairach coordinates: 46, −33, 45) showed the strongest correlation between neural activity (during a difficult working memory task) and intelligence (J.R. Gray et al., 2003). This finding is significant because Openness/Intellect is the only Big Five trait that has been consistently and positively associated with intelligence (DeYoung et al., 2005). Our current finding for Openness/Intellect is not conclusive, but it does indicate a specific ROI for testing in future studies.
    The above is kind of interesting, since it would make sense that focusing on abstractions might require a certain kind of focus of attention; there is nothing physical about an abstraction to serve as sensory re-focusing reminder.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Pretty good!
    Though I belive Agreeableness corresponds more directly to the factors of Informing/Directing (paired with E/I in the Interaction Styles, and correspond with T/F for S's only) and Structure vs Motive (which pairs NT/SJ and SP/NF, and corresponds with T/F for N's only), and represents the old temperament factor of "people vs task". The "focus on others' intentions" mentioned would seem to go along with that.
    Also, Conscientiousness would fit Keirsey's Cooperative/Pragmatic (J/P for S's only), which partly shapes the speed one takes action (do what works/what's right). Sure enough, this report mentions "execution of planned action".

Openness, as representing S/N, then becomes a cross-factor, if you take the conative matrix to be Str/M and C/Prg. Hence, the weaker association. It would be already implicit in two of the other factors.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's cool, my SLUAI then corresponds perfectly with ENFP.

Although sometimes I have SLUEI, which brought up an ENTP result on one test. I know I'm not an ENTP though.

I resent the implication that Feeling always means "niceness."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    not in the business of giving people free handjobs
    I don't think "we" are going to work out...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

This discussion plus the one on Fudjack-Dinkelaker got me thinking of how the 32 types can be represented, since with three letter codes, you can use Comfort-Discomfort as the new fourth letter.

(C=Comfort; D=Discomfort; Melancholy & Choleric: Discomfort; Phlegmatic & Sanguine: Comfort per Eysenck; Supine is also Discomfort. Affection temperament (third letter in ICA codes) also affects C/D. TDI = MBTI Type Differentiation Indicator which adds C/D)

MBTDI|Globl5|Jung|Fj/D|Inclusion/Control/Affection (M-Mel, C-Chol, P-Phleg, G-sanGuine, S-Supine)

INFPC RCUAI IFNC inFc PPP, PPG (Mod C: PPM, PPC, PPS SPP, SPG, PSP, PSG)
    INFPD RLUAI IFND inFd SSS, SSM, SSC (Mod D: SPS, SPC, SPM, SSM, SSC, SSG, PSS, PSC, PSM)
    INTPC RCUEI ITNC inTc PCP, PCG
    INTPD RLUEI ITND inTd SCS, SCM, SCC (Mod D: PCS, PCM, PCC, SCG, SCP)
    INFJC RCOAI INFC iNfc MPP, MPG
    INFJD RLOAI INFD iNfd MSM, MSS, MSC (Mod D: MSG, MSP, MPM, MPC, MPS)
    INTJC RCOEI INTC iNfc MCP, PCG
    INTJD RLOEI INTD iNfd MCM, MCC, MCS
    ISTJC RCOEN ISTC iStc MMG, MMP
    ISTJD RLOEN ISTD iStd MMM, MMS, MMC
    ISFJC RCOAN ISFC iSfc PMP, PMG
    ISFJD RLOAN ISFD iSfd SMS, SMM, SMC (Mod D: SMP, SMG, PMS, PMC, PMM)
    ISTPC RCUEN ITSC isTc MGG, MGP
    ISTPD RLUEN ITSD isTd MGM, MGS, MGC
    ISFPC RCUAN IFSC isFc PGP, PGG
    ISFPD RLUAN IFSD isFd SGS, SGM, SGC (Mod D: PGS, SGP, PGC, PGM, SGG)
    ENFPC SCUAI ENFC eNfc GPG, GPP
    ENFPD SLUAI ENFD eNfd GSS, GSC, GSM (Mod D: GSG, GSP, GPS, GPM, GPC)
    ENTPC SCUEI ENTC eNtc GCG, GCP
    ENTPD SLUEI ENTD eNtd GCC, GCM, GCS
    ENFJC SCOAI EFNC enFc CPP, CPG
    ENFJD SLOAI EFND enFd CSC, CSS, CSM (Mod D: CSP, CSG, CPC, CPM, CPS)
    ENTJC SCOEI ETNC enTc CCP, CCG
    ENTJD SLOEI ETND enTd CCC, CCM, CCS
    ESTJC SCOEN ETSC esTc CMP, CMG
    ESTJD SLOEN ETSD esTd CMC, CMM, CMS
    ESFJC SCOAN EFSC esFc GMG, GMP
    ESFJD SLOAN EFSD esFd GMM, GMC, GMS
    ESTPC SCUEN ESTC eStc CGG, CGP
    ESTPD SLUEN ESTD eStd CGC, CGM, CGS
    ESFPC SCUAN ESFC eSfc GGG, GGP
    ESFPD SLUAN ESFD eSfd GGS, GGM, GGC
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas