Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am the same type in function theory and Keirsey temperament assessment

9 56.25%
  • I am different types in function theory and Keirsey temperament assessment

5 31.25%
  • I prefer function theory.

10 62.50%
  • I prefer Keirsey temperament assessment.

1 6.25%
  • I equally prefer both or don't know.

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default The Keirsey/Function Theory Conflict

So how does it feel when you're the same type on Keirsey tests and function theory? What's that like? I know it happens to some people!

How many people here follow Keirsey, and how many follow function theory, and how many just don't know? In my observation most people on this forum follow function theory or at least try to.

I am Keirsey INFJ and function theory ENFP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Keirsey got me into personality types, so I´m a bit biased. I like that it is a neat coherent system based on self description, whioch makes it easier to defend. it´s been comparatively easy to convince people of that. Cognitive function theory has always sounded a bit esoteric to me and I have not yet been able to sell it to anyone
    I´m still to find any empirical basis for it. Maybe it´s just my lack of knowledge talking, but from what I´ve seen on the forum, a suspiciousöy high number of people here have a messed up function order and there doesn´t seem to be a clear consensus on the function´s definitions either. So I´m a bit sceptical, even though it´s fun to say "Hey, that was Ne I just used!".

INtP on Keirsey, eNTP on function tests (equal Ti and Ne even though I come out a clear introvert on dichotomy based tests)
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

What is the difference?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

In Keirsey I am a solid SP. In functions I am a solid isxp.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm INTJ on Kiersey and INTP on functions. J is pretty weak on Kiersey though- about 60%.

I've also noticed that different tests give different results. Lenore Thomson's test also types me INTJ and the way Lenore describes J and P, I'm definitely more J. However, I only so-so relate to her Ni description. I identify more with her Ti description and even her Si one.

Function tests usually type me as INTP or INFP even though Fi is supposedly my demonic function. Either the questions are a poor reflection on what Fi is really all about or I didn't have a very good self-understanding taking that test.

The MBTI step II has me pegged as INTP. Moderate I, N, and P. Clear T.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What is the difference?
    Keirsey bases type on just the four letters - like INFJ or ISTP - without any discussion of which functions are being used, and holistic type descriptions. That means I'm Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judger, but not that I have Fe or Ni.

Function theory, on the other hand, explains more subtle behaviors on strength of functions, which some people prefer as being more accurate, finding Keirsey over-simplified. Then again, people who prefer Keirsey think that function theory is too convuluted and difficult to prove, because of sketchy definitions, and the simple fact that although you may recognize functions within yourself, it's pretty hard to prove in other people. In fact it's quite presumptuous to assume you know what motivates another person, since functions aren't supposed to be based on outward behavior, but motives for outward behavior.

Some people take function theory so far that I think it's insane. On the other hand, Keirsey does lack subtlety, and attempts to put people in just sixteen plain little boxes.

I'm definitely INFJ in Keirsey because I test it over and over and over again, and have for years on Keirsey type tests, and when someone from this web site who prefers Keirsey met me, he confirmed that he believes I'm INFJ.

HOWEVER, if you asked anyone else on this forum if I'm INFJ - well at least anyone who subscribes to function theory - they'd probably laugh at you, insisting that I clearly use Ne/Fi/Te/Si, and I'd kind of have to agree.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I dunno, if Keirsey is more equated to dichotomy-type tests, I'm INTJ with Keirsey and to a certain extent INTJ when it comes to most type descriptions (although it's a tossup at this point..it's like different components of myself are in both). However I seem to be INFJ with functions. Temperamentally, I've always related to some elements of NT quite a lot and other elements of NF. Even on temperament tests I'm fairly even between NF and NT.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Thanks for explaining, marm. I don't know if I'm different on the two systems. I relate a lot to Fi, as far as I can understand it, so probably IxFP or even xxFP. In terms of temperament I feel like it's quite close between SP and NF (is that also Keirsey, like Artisans and Guardians and stuff?).
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm a Keirsey ENTP and a function theory ESTP... I prefer function theory- Keirsey just seems like an oversimplification to get people interested to me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I dunno, if Keirsey is more equated to dichotomy-type tests, I'm INTJ with Keirsey and to a certain extent INTJ when it comes to most type descriptions (although it's a tossup at this point..it's like different components of myself are in both). However I seem to be INFJ with functions. Temperamentally, I've always related to some elements of NT quite a lot and other elements of NF. Even on temperament tests I'm fairly even between NF and NT.
    Me too. ^ Limitation of test for those who stradle the middle. No type description for INXJ.