User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default Is Fi a person-oriented function?

ever since taking those 20-question "i am interested in people Y/N" quizzes back in high school, i've been under the impression that an essential difference between F (both Fe and Fi) and T (both Te and Ti) was that F is person-oriented while T is system-oriented, and what T gains in logic, F gains in person-understanding. there is little question that Fe is a person-oriented function, but recently, the question has been raised as to whether Fi is as well, or not.

if Fi is not person-oriented, then what separates it from Ti? a lack of adhering to logical rules. but, then, where does the rationality come from? if Fi does not value things based on how much meaning they hold to people (oneself or others), what is the basis of the value systems it generates? and, if it is not related to people, then what does it share in common with Fe?

i currently lean toward the idea that it is, being that Fi is attuned to individuals and individual value schemata, including oneself and one's own values. but perhaps Fi is just easily applicable to people because people are often not logical.

i'd love to hear others' opinions on this.

MBTI
    ISFJ

F has nothing to do with people imo per se. Fx are more holistic decisions processes than Tx. F has to do with hidden implications much like N. A T is more likely to get trapped into objectivity. An NF is a double dose of subjectivity, and what is more subjective than other sentient beings?

A rock is a rock. But a human has free will.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

i think ... just as Te deals with the necessary, basic, day-to-day, important daily tasks, Fe is more equipped in the same way to deal with the basic necessities of human relationships and social codes ... while Ti and Fi digs deeper, gets tangled up, gets way too complicated and redundant until it hits something good. fi is very much about people, of course but not in the same way as fe is. fi is more idea-oriented for the sole purpose of the idea while still staying true to people

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Fi is about people, but it's more about people in the abstract, I think. Like Rebe was saying, Te is about practical thinking, and it has obvious external results. Ti on the other hand, while still rational and logical, is more abstract ideas which doesn't necessarily have real world results.

Fi must be people-oriented, because I've had an ISTP tell me that I might be happier if I stopped thinking about other people so much...he noted that many of my interests involve thinking about people (sociology, psychology, literature, history, etc.) and that he saw me go out of my way on my vacation to make sure that I did something for other people.

The primary difference is the basis of the ethics. Fe is reflecting values of the primary group sometimes at the sake of the satisfying self and Fi is reflecting values of the inner self sometimes at the sake of getting along with the group. Fi and Fe can do similar things and have similar values, just for different reasons.

It gets very confusing to me, though. because ENFPs "mirror" people much in the way one would think Fe would do, and we also seem to need people. HOWEVER, we can thrive without having to constantly be actually interacting with others...and that's the difference between Fi and Fe. Even an ISFJ, being an introvert, wants to interact with others because of Fe. An INFP on the other hand might be quite self-reliant and need very little social contact, although they do think about ethics and people.

I know I'm not explaining this well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Fi is me-oriented. Fi sets subjective principles that in turn may affect other people. Te rounds out Fi by setting objective principles, which may in turn affect other people (Te draws these principles from others who contribute to the system it references, so it is affected by others, and Fi is affected by the self, both meet in the middle). At least in theory that's how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Fi must be people-oriented, because I've had an ISTP tell me that I might be happier if I stopped thinking about other people so much
    yeah, no.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    yeah, no.
    Yeah, no to which? That I'd be happier if I didn't think about people so much?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Fi is a people oriented function if you make it be that way.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think it's an individual person function...not just me...but you...by yourself without taking anyone else into consideration...just like...the core of a person...or the rules that person has constructed their world around...damn...it's not such an easy thing to put into words.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

What an awesome question!

Ti and Fi seem to be very similar in how they analyze incoming data.

Ti is meant for very precise logical problems-it breaks them down detail by detail and uses logical principles to find the best solution.
    Fi is meant for very messy, convoluted problems-it analyzes nuances of feeling tones shades and uses previously established values to weigh the best solution.

Ti seems ideal for very precisely defined problems. Fi really seems to have evolved to be applied to very messy, people contaminated problems. However that doesnt mean you cant use Fi on other complex problems-I use Fi to feel waves for instance or to troubleshoot scientific issues at times...it has a very kinesthetic feeling, a groping sort of knowing, then a gut recognition of what the problem is, even if I cant give a detailed reason why that is the problem. This could be NeFi though...so it may differ a bit from the Fi dom perspective.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Fi is a people oriented function if you make it be that way.
    Definitely. And whether or not Fi is utilized in a group environment, they will mostly refer to their internal criteria for judgment, though people-oriented Fi-ers (often ExFPs, or social IxFPs) are more likely to consider external input to refine or broaden its application, but rarely as the final word in Feeling matters.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.