User Tag List

12 Last

Default MBTI affected by culture?

I wonder to what extent MBTI could be culturally developed.

For example, most women are xSFJ, a type that follows a "typical" woman based on traditional social expectations. Inversely, more Ts are men than women.

In the US, most people are SJ types, something that falls into prized American values. Is this culturally enforced onto children? A product of immigration?

Would we find a higher percentage of introverts in Scandinavian and East Asian societies than in the US? Or are there are an equal number of extroverts, but ones that "hold back" or otherwise express their extroversion in more subtle ways because of cultural constraints?

I guess I'm asking a larger question, which is the role of nature versus nurture. And if nurture has a role in our personality development, would we see a shift in MBTI distributions as our culture changes? Like, would there be a higher distribution of introverts as we become more immersed in a solitary, digital world?

Scandi and East Asian are introverts? No wonder. I'm both.

I don't know if surrounding culture did anything to me though. I grew up in America, surrounded with SJ friends, family, and whatnot.. I've always been stubborn.. in conflict at times.. to the "typical" SJ mindset. There's not much anyone can do about it.

SJ culture just makes N(P)s question their sanity all their lives, doesnt change them into SJs.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've also read that there is a negative relationship with self-esteem on one of the personality websites.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In the US, most people are SJ types, something that falls into prized American values. Is this culturally enforced onto children? A product of immigration?
    I find the SJ archetype interesting in that it often gets defined by the specifics of its values or programs, where it really just represents a way of looking at things and prioritizing... and thus the details might change from culture to culture.

ESTJ and ESFJ are more pragmatic -- they bring structure and order to personal and impersonal systems and communities, and they actually will adjust (or, maybe better, reflect) the needs and values of that system when they finally perceive them. So if the tone of the community changes, healthy ESFJ adjusts to champion those changing values; ESTJ does the same thing for organizational systems. It's just that the S focus results in prioritizing literal and tangible data rather than mere possibility (which could be whimsy), so their shifts are driving more by actual shifts in the system where it is not working as it should, rather than how it might possibly work.

ISTJ and ISFJ on the other hand capture an "image" of the world around them when young, anchor this inside, and then maintain and defend it against change -- the inner image is the ideal image. It can change, but only if information that can be respected by the ISJ (typically, pervasive, tangible, observable, experienciable data) is received in enough quantity to negate the ideal image.

So SJ might be viewed as the "traditional" mindset -- it deals with what was or what currently is, rather than looking automatically at what might be (which is more "progressive" mindset) -- but that "traditional" mindset might not include the specific values Western culture has attached to it. As a small example, there are many SJs who protest same-sex marriage (the current political firestorm over here)... but if they had been raised [for the I's] and/or existed within [the E's] a system where same-sex marriage was permissible and not an issue, they would likely defend THAT viewpoint if it were threatened by later change. It's a matter of what one has come to view as ideal and real.

This is just one example where MBTI type presentation is impacted by culture. It would be interesting to compare type manifestation in various styles of culture (Western, European, Asian, African).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ

Here, most people ar SJs of course, like in most places, but there is a distinct SP feel to the SJness here. We are lazy protectors of our lazy customs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

in the US, the (east coast) south is much more FJ, and the (east coast) north is much more FP. i tend to be comfortable around FJs and my value set greatly resembles Fe, which i suspect has been influenced by growing up in a suburban southern community (in addition to my mom being ESFJ).

from the living/traveling i've done in europe, southern europe seems way more P in general, and northern europe definitely I.

i'm not sure if culture can actually change your type, though. i really suspect that type is probably genetic to a great extent - culture just impacts how it manifests. when i lived in the nordic countries, i felt much more extraverted than i do in the states. i think it would have been easier to type myself as an E there, whereas it took me years to figure out that i wasn't an I here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

in the US, the (east coast) south is much more FJ, and the (east coast) north is much more FP. i've grown up between both - living in the south and spending time with family up north several times a year. personally i tend to be comfortable around FJs and my value set greatly resembles Fe, which i suspect has been influenced by growing up in a suburban southern community (in addition to my mom being ESFJ).

from the living/traveling i've done in europe, southern europe seems more P in general, and northern europe definitely I.

i'm not sure if culture can actually change your type, though. i really suspect that type is probably genetic to a great extent - culture just impacts how it manifests. when i lived in the nordic countries, i felt much more extraverted than i do in the states. i think it would have been easier to type myself as an E there, whereas it took me years to figure out that i wasn't an I here. i also suspect that a friend of mine there who i would put money on being an ENFJ would be much harder to recognize as an E here. she is fairly quiet and concise - but that's just the way everyone was there.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

By the way, I don't think east asians come across as particularly introverted...(chinese at least - I don't know any japanese personally)

Anyway, generally SJs aren't the majority anywhere, it's just that tests are badly designed, types are more or less equally distributed.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Anyway, generally SJs aren't the majority anywhere
    Yes, your country is full of ESFPs.

Barely clothed, driving scooters.