• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Feeling: A Quick Reference Guide

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't say I remember all too well what was said in either of them, but I will say if FJs have empathy as a gift and FPs don't then the author was high.

Well it's not too hard to reference back to the OP. ;)

Under Fi -

•Relates to people one-on-one through a fine-tuned sensitivity to the inner life of others.
•Knowing when others are in internal distress.
•A talent for helping people one-on-one.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Shut up! I have more empathy than you!

*disregards cascadeco's comments*

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Maybe it's just me, but here's my personal take on it:

Interestingly, it was simulatedworld who convinced me that all of the stuff I have done in the outer world, that I thought of as Fe motivated, is really Fi motivated. The origin point is my Fi; I hold a personal value that it's good for me to help others, and I do my best to fulfill those expectations of myself. That has translated over the years into probably thousands of hours of unpaid community service (and I don't say that to boast; it just is).

I know I am an Fi dom and I don't question my orientation.

But, there is absolutely nothing in this description of Fi that encompasses the manifestation of my personal values in the real world. My value says - get out in the world and DO GOOD! So I do that. I mean, this reads to me as pure falsity: "Until a value is violated, nothing brings out their effort or energy to be involved." Nothing brings out my effort? I have to have my sense of values violated before I get out of my head and off my butt?" Thankfully that's not true. My values can be a huge motivator, yes, but in a positive way, not just this negative "You have violated my values, now suffer my wrath" perspective.

According to this author, Leona Haas, every good thing I do must originate from Fe. Fi as written here is the senex - and it would make perfect sense for an INFJ to regard it as such and for me to feel that coming through.

Regardless of all the wonderful stuff Fe does in the world, I just don't buy Fe as the sole F source of making people feel good or doing good. It's far more sophisticated in my book.

R

RDF

So Fi users think the Fe guide is too good and the Fi guide is not good enough?

I'm fine with both guides. I like this description of Fi. The usual, traditional descriptions of Fi are too fluffy for me, or too much about how we are noble, crusading Joans of Arc.

Personally, I consider Fi to be a considerably "chillier" and more inert function than Fe. I envision Fi to be somewhere midway between Fe and Ti in terms of warmth/chilliness.

But then that's me. Good luck finding consensus among Fi-doms on anything. That's part of our charm--we're going to be all over the map on just about any issue, including our own definition. :D

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
"Until a value is violated, nothing brings out their effort or energy to be involved." Nothing brings out my effort? I have to have my sense of values violated before I get out of my head and off my butt?" Thankfully that's not true. My values can be a huge motivator, yes, but in a positive way, not just this negative "You have violated my values, now suffer my wrath" perspective.

I definitely agree. If it weren't for my values my life would be completely different. The description is playing on the cliché that FPs are happy as long as they can have their way and are irresponsible brats that live their lives without taking others into consideration. Which is of course, complete BS. We are feisty, but our energy goes beyond our simple displays of feistiness.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
"Until a value is violated, nothing brings out their effort or energy to be involved." Nothing brings out my effort? I have to have my sense of values violated before I get out of my head and off my butt?" Thankfully that's not true. My values can be a huge motivator, yes, but in a positive way, not just this negative "You have violated my values, now suffer my wrath" perspective.

I definitely agree. If it weren't for my values my life would be completely different. The description is playing on the cliché that FPs are happy as long as they can have their way and are irresponsible brats that live their lives without taking others into consideration. Which is of course, complete BS. We are feisty, but our energy goes beyond our simple displays of feistiness.

R

RDF

Until a value is violated, nothing brings out their effort or energy to be involved.

Context is everything, and there's almost no context for these one-liners. To give the passage above appropriate context, I tend to read it as "Can't be bought off." In other words, I see the passage above as a complement for the lines "Rules have to feel right to me or I will ignore them" and "I could never do something just because someone wants me to do it if it doesn't feel right to me."

My wife and I are both INFPs, and we've been together for over 10 years. So I get to see Fi-dom from both the inside and outside. And looking at it from the outside: God help us all when my wife starts dragging her feet on something... :steam:

Last edited:

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
*sits with hands on the keyboard waiting for jaguar to post Ti description ready to diss the Ti description as being too superficial*

Edit: As predictable as these responses are, its kind of cute too.

Try and read the description one more time and do it without letting your inner ideals of Fi get in the way. This is really not that bad a description as you make it sound. Plus you are putting way too much focus on the words and not the context. Try and read a little between the lines.

Fineline I disagree with you. If one was to write a 700 page book on Fi, there would still be Fi dominants who would say the same as you.

R

RDF

*sits with hands on the keyboard waiting for jaguar to post Ti description ready to diss the Ti description as being too superficial*

Edit: As predictable as these responses are, its kind of cute too.

Try and read the description one more time and do it without letting your inner ideals of Fi get in the way. This is really not that bad a description as you make it sound. Plus you are putting way too much focus on the words and not the context. Try and read a little between the lines.

I agree.

Fineline I disagree with you. If one was to write a 700 page book on Fi, there would still be Fi dominants who would say the same as you.

I don't quite understand your point here. Are you saying that my response to the description is highly typical of Fi-doms? Or that agreeing with the guide is the default position of Fi-doms? :thinking:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean, this reads to me as pure falsity: "Until a value is violated, nothing brings out their effort or energy to be involved." Nothing brings out my effort? I have to have my sense of values violated before I get out of my head and off my butt?" Thankfully that's not true. My values can be a huge motivator, yes, but in a positive way, not just this negative "You have violated my values, now suffer my wrath" perspective.

I agree....I had a similar thought in mind, as far as not simply "sitting on my butt", waiting for some violation to spur me into action. :D

INFJs often try to make INFPs seem like they're lazy & unmotivated & only react in a pouty, bratty manner when they don't get their way; in a word, they see the INFP as childish, and that's how this description reads to me. I don't think Fi is all nicey-nice, but it's significantly deeper than Fe, and here it's made to sound rather immature & shallow even. As it says in Psychological Types concerning Fi: "because it usually does nothing visible, and an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces." Fi is a lot more conceptual or "invisible"; it's more about creating internal models of the ideal than seeking to affect people, and so there is more time spent in reflection than action concerning Feeling. However, this means action on the part of the Fi-dom can be more profound in meaning.

I'm fine with both guides. I like this description of Fi. The usual, traditional descriptions of Fi are too fluffy for me, or too much about how we are noble, crusading Joans of Arc.

Personally, I consider Fi to be a considerably "chillier" and more inert function than Fe. I envision Fi to be somewhere midway between Fe and Ti in terms of warmth/chilliness.

I actually prefer the non-sugary descriptions of Fi, as I'm a "chillier" Fi-dom myself. The original description from Jung is not the prettiest picture, but it's hands down my favorite. I don't find it so one-dimensional & linear; maybe I fancy myself more complex than this, or maybe it's that Fi-doms appear much more simple on the surface. I still hold that, in comparison to the other descriptions, this one fails to actually describe the process of Fi - it mainly discusses the attitude observable from the outside. There's one side or aspect of Fi being discussed.
Since I am looking at the other functions from the outside, that may be why they seem more acceptable to me though.

If I was not familiar with MBTI & other function descriptions, I don't know if I'd be typing myself Fi-dom from this.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I agree.

I don't quite understand your point here. Are you saying that my response to the description is highly typical of Fi-doms? Or that agreeing with the guide is the default position of Fi-doms? :thinking:

Well if you agree with the first paragraphs dont pay too much attention to the context of the last paragraph. It might not be you but more generally speaking to all the Fi dominants responding against the description here. And as I tried to imply, if one was to make an extensive well acclaimed book on Fi, there would still be Fi dominants complaining, using the same rethoric and points as here in this thread.

Edit: I totally understand the subjectiveness of Fi its not that. But you need to look beyond your own perspective, especially since it is a highly personal and subjective function.

And as a quick description, cut down to the bone, when looked simply at just this functions as an overview, this is really good.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i think it's alright as a quick guide. I think that actual values that Fi-users hold have a lot of potential to get in the way of the descriptions; that was my knee-jerk problem with it at least. for example, if things like "tolerance" or "skepticism" are strong values an Fi-user holds then there might be some trouble relating to "Does not tolerate violations of its core beliefs" or "Have unquestioning faith in their own values". while not intentional, i think there is a certain level of presumption in the values being held...or maybe presumption isn't the right word. But there are values that lie in some of these that obviously don't universally apply.

But stepping back, yeah, I guess it's a pretty good snap-shot. I'm not inclined to think it's negative, but I wasn't surprised to see that the author isn't an Fi-user either. It's not that totally it's inaccurate for me, but more that at times it's just barely accurate because the grip on Fi isn't as strong as it would be coming from someone who actually uses/prefers it.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
This was a good Fi description.

I'm always amused by the claim of Fi tolerance as a 'value' when that tolerance extends as far as decrying others opposing values to its own. I think Fi likes to keep its beliefs in a sequential prioritised row. Anyone with Fi in their top three functions seems to view certain opinions as sacrosanct and others in lower tiers.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Can anyone give me a good explanation why you need to be an Fi user to be able to write about Fi?

It seems like no one is really complaining on the other descriptions this INFJ wrote. And what has this borderline conspiracy thinking of her being an Fe user have to do with her descriptions? Its such a stupid argument.

R

RDF

I still hold that, in comparison to the other descriptions, this one fails to actually describe the process of Fi - it mainly discusses the attitude observable from the outside. There's one side or aspect of Fi being discussed.
Since I am looking at the other functions from the outside, that may be why they seem more acceptable to me though.

OrangeAppled, I think you raise excellent points here ^^. I was, in fact, reading the guide with a view to it being a "view from the outside." Partly that's because I do get to see it from the outside on a daily basis, and partly because Fe was described the same way in the guide for that particular function. (Part of the context was a comparison of the Fi and Fe guides.) So in that sense, I saw the two guides as equally applicable and equally legitimate. In that context I was able to endorse the guide for Fi.

Also, I saw both guides as descriptions of fairly "immature," harsh forms of the two functions. If the Fi guide were to describe how Fi manifests itself at my own age, the description would have to be toned down quite a lot to account for the balance that age brings. In other words I wasn't really applying the description of Fi to myself on an intensely personal level. I just compared both guides to generic forms of the functions as I understand them. :cheese:

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Can anyone give me a good explanation why you need to be an Fi user to be able to write about Fi?

It seems like no one is really complaining on the other descriptions this INFJ wrote. And what has this borderline conspiracy thinking of her being an Fe user have to do with her descriptions? Its such a stupid argument.

I don't think it's that you HAVE to be an Fi user, but it seems pretty reasonable to me to assume that someone who is actually coming from the experience could have a better grip on the subject. I just think it's obvious that this person isn't as well acquainted with the function. That doesn't mean it can't be good (and for what it is, it is pretty good), just that there are things that could possibly make it better.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
This was a good Fi description.

I'm always amused by the claim of Fi tolerance as a 'value' when that tolerance extends as far as decrying others opposing values to its own. I think Fi likes to keep its beliefs in a sequential prioritised row. Anyone with Fi in their top three functions seems to view certain opinions as sacrosanct and others in lower tiers.

Its kind of cute when they get all worked up and help to comfirm part the description without them realizing.

R

RDF

Well if you agree with the first paragraphs dont pay too much attention to the context of the last paragraph. It might not be you but more generally speaking to all the Fi dominants responding against the description here.

I thought the guide was good right from the start. So I was a little surprised when you singled out my opinion for criticism.

And as I tried to imply, if one was to make an extensive well acclaimed book on Fi, there would still be Fi dominants complaining, using the same rethoric and points as here in this thread.

Edit: I totally understand the subjectiveness of Fi its not that. But you need to look beyond your own perspective, especially since it is a highly personal and subjective function.

Us Fi-doms are comparing notes and working our way around to a consensus. We're just doing it in our own fashion. And frankly, your protestations are just creating confusion and getting in the way. Lighten up a little bit, maybe.

And as a quick description, cut down to the bone, when looked simply at just this functions as an overview, this is really good.

Once again, I agree.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not that totally it's inaccurate for me, but more that at times it's just barely accurate

That is my general opinion also. It's not wrong or bad, but it's just not that great either. I've seen better descriptions in less words.

You don't need to be a Fi-user....I've read many Fi descriptions from non Fi types that were done well.

There has been consistent observable bias in INFJs concerning their views on Fi. It's not a stupid argument if it has basis in reality. To think that the writer's own bias may slip into these descriptions is not a conspiracy theorist attitude, it's just not being naive.