First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    An interesting break down of Fi. All along, considered it a pain in the ass but after reading that, I now have textual confirmation that it really IS a pain in the ass.
    Unhealthy Fi is a pain in the ass, overly-dominant Fi without the support of any other functions is a pain in the ass. Healthy, balanced Fi is good for everyone.

I have read much better descriptions of Fi. The above description is a simplistic explanation sort of like Fi For Dummies.

"Bringing their inner system of values to fruition in the real world is usually not important to them."

- Wrong. What's the use of painstakingly cultivating these values if I don't actually uhm ... use them in any beneficial way.

"They may view virtually anything as innately good or innately bad, as positive or negative."

- Well, furnitures are neutral. Let's not get silly.

"Have unquestioning faith in their own values."

- I question and tweak my values all the time in order to fit in the new information.

"Assumes everyone's values are absolute so there is no sense in disputing them."

- I have asked several people why they believe in their religion and tried to understand them logically and ethically. I don't go too far because I respect the right of each and every one to believe in whatever they want. But I ask questions. And if it really makes no sense, I tell them that it really makes absolutely no sense.

"I have a sense of right and wrong that I cannot explain."

- I can always explain.

"Knowing when others are in internal distress."

- because they all look kind of constipated.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ yeah. true of all functions, too. too much or too little, with no balance, becomes a serious pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Doubtful.
    well, if they think it's not accurate.

though maybe "in a similar way" was poor wording, i don't mean the same kind of personal/reactionary response, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Unhealthy Fi is a pain in the ass, overly-dominant Fi without the support of any other functions is a pain in the ass. Healthy, balanced Fi is good for everyone.
    You're probably right but it's so bloody subjective. What is right and wrong? What are ethics and integrity? All societal conditioning. Some worth retaining, others well worth the effort of an enthusiastic drop kick.

In order to break down a Fi assumption, it's like reinventing the wheel again trying to be as objective as possible but no matter how you do it, know it's tainted by subjective bias. Annoying in many situations. :steam:

[/Fi rant over]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ i dunno if it's all societal conditioning. a large part, sure, but in part personal ethics is likely a matter of how we cognitively process things as well, in addition to personal experiences and the way we've interpreted them. our emotional states at the time of experience can easily color our opinions.

i think part of the point of Fi is to make it clear that everything has value. so you're right, it's kind of impossible to not be subjective about it, because being objective requires not seeing things through the perspective of whatever you're analyzing. maybe that's the point of it, though. if Te is the most objective Judging you can get, then Fi is the opposite.

i don't deny that it can be hella annoying, though

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i don't deny that it can be hella annoying, though

MBTI
    GONE

^^

I think Fi is only annoying when the person who is seeming to re/act because their Fi has been set off and

1) is not even aware of it
    2) cannot articulate it
    3) deny that an Fi value has been triggered

Developed Fi or rather, Fi users who have developed more understanding and mastery of their Fi can always clearly articulate their inner emotional Fi to the external world and prevent themselves from acting on hasty conclusions or impulses. So basically, they are seen as more reasonable. And less annoying.

It's a steep learning curve!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

^^

I think Fi is only annoying when the person who is seeming to re/act because their Fi has been set off and

1) is not even aware of it
    2) cannot articulate it
    3) deny that an Fi value has been triggered

Developed Fi or rather, Fi users who have developed more understanding and mastery of their Fi can always clearly articulate their inner emotional Fi to the external world, confidently share what value has been triggered (or at least be aware of it) and prevent themselves from acting on hasty conclusions or impulses. So basically, they are seen as more reasonable. And less annoying.

It's a steep learning curve!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Agreed. I'm hardly absolutist either. Is it more of a Ti thing to put your principles back on the drawing board, in light of experience, evidence, etc..? Fi types are too subjective to be colored by experience? That's hardcore.
    I don't think that's Ti. I've refined some of my values, also, due to life experience. I can't hold on to an absurd, naive value system if it clashes with the wisdom of life experience. I thought it my case this was just developing more Te and Si and I grew older.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    IDK, you tell me. You don't seem to be one of those INFJs though, so I don't seriously expect you to explain thinking you don't identify with (unless you're saying that you do). I base my statement on statements that I've seen INFJs make online regarding INFPs & Fi. I think the Vicky Jo reference is the perfect example of this (and even she seems to admit her own major bias against INFPs). It seems a willful misunderstanding of another type, possibly due to resentment in confusion with that type.
    I don't think Vicky Jo is a good example. I think Vicky Jo is a psycho, and she makes INFJs look bad.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    "Have unquestioning faith in their own values."

I think this could also be said of SFJs. I don't mean that as an insult to them - actually I think it's part of why I like them, because I relate to it, though it can be a HUGE pain in the ass when dealing with a homophobic old geezer or something. I think this has something to do with Fi/Si or Si/Fe. I can't put my finger on it, but I've noticed that SFJs have really extreme to reactions to certain values (I'm talking about non-religious SFJs, too, not Bible stuff but even like "if you cheat on me, I'll murder you, and you should understand that that's the only reasonable response") I find it strange sometimes how much I relate to them in this way, and also to the ability to superficially charm people (though I will agree this is more an ENFP thing, certainly, than an INFP thing).

I often wonder exactly why this is. It really puzzles me and has had me obsessing with Si to see if it's the source of the similarity. (And of course, there's always Peace Baby's suggestion that I'm actually an ENFJ )