• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Feeling: A Quick Reference Guide

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
An interesting break down of Fi. All along, considered it a pain in the ass but after reading that, I now have textual confirmation that it really IS a pain in the ass.

Unhealthy Fi is a pain in the ass, overly-dominant Fi without the support of any other functions is a pain in the ass. Healthy, balanced Fi is good for everyone. ;)

I have read much better descriptions of Fi. The above description is a simplistic explanation sort of like Fi For Dummies.

"Bringing their inner system of values to fruition in the real world is usually not important to them."

- Wrong. What's the use of painstakingly cultivating these values if I don't actually uhm ... use them in any beneficial way.

"They may view virtually anything as innately good or innately bad, as positive or negative."

- Well, furnitures are neutral. Let's not get silly.

"Have unquestioning faith in their own values."

- I question and tweak my values all the time in order to fit in the new information.

"Assumes everyone's values are absolute so there is no sense in disputing them."

- I have asked several people why they believe in their religion and tried to understand them logically and ethically. I don't go too far because I respect the right of each and every one to believe in whatever they want. But I ask questions. And if it really makes no sense, I tell them that it really makes absolutely no sense.

"I have a sense of right and wrong that I cannot explain."

- I can always explain.

"Knowing when others are in internal distress."

- because they all look kind of constipated.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ yeah. true of all functions, too. too much or too little, with no balance, becomes a serious pain in the ass.

Doubtful.

well, if they think it's not accurate.

though maybe "in a similar way" was poor wording, i don't mean the same kind of personal/reactionary response, lol

rav3n

Unhealthy Fi is a pain in the ass, overly-dominant Fi without the support of any other functions is a pain in the ass. Healthy, balanced Fi is good for everyone. ;)
You're probably right but it's so bloody subjective. What is right and wrong? What are ethics and integrity? All societal conditioning. Some worth retaining, others well worth the effort of an enthusiastic drop kick.

In order to break down a Fi assumption, it's like reinventing the wheel again trying to be as objective as possible but no matter how you do it, know it's tainted by subjective bias. Annoying in many situations. :steam:

[/Fi rant over]

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ i dunno if it's all societal conditioning. a large part, sure, but in part personal ethics is likely a matter of how we cognitively process things as well, in addition to personal experiences and the way we've interpreted them. our emotional states at the time of experience can easily color our opinions.

i think part of the point of Fi is to make it clear that everything has value. so you're right, it's kind of impossible to not be subjective about it, because being objective requires not seeing things through the perspective of whatever you're analyzing. maybe that's the point of it, though. if Te is the most objective Judging you can get, then Fi is the opposite.

i don't deny that it can be hella annoying, though :laugh:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^

I think Fi is only annoying when the person who is seeming to re/act because their Fi has been set off and

1) is not even aware of it
2) cannot articulate it
3) deny that an Fi value has been triggered

Developed Fi or rather, Fi users who have developed more understanding and mastery of their Fi can always clearly articulate their inner emotional Fi to the external world and prevent themselves from acting on hasty conclusions or impulses. So basically, they are seen as more reasonable. And less annoying. :alttongue:

It's a steep learning curve!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^

I think Fi is only annoying when the person who is seeming to re/act because their Fi has been set off and

1) is not even aware of it
2) cannot articulate it
3) deny that an Fi value has been triggered

Developed Fi or rather, Fi users who have developed more understanding and mastery of their Fi can always clearly articulate their inner emotional Fi to the external world, confidently share what value has been triggered (or at least be aware of it) and prevent themselves from acting on hasty conclusions or impulses. So basically, they are seen as more reasonable. And less annoying. :alttongue:

It's a steep learning curve!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Agreed. I'm hardly absolutist either. Is it more of a Ti thing to put your principles back on the drawing board, in light of experience, evidence, etc..? Fi types are too subjective to be colored by experience? That's hardcore.

I don't think that's Ti. I've refined some of my values, also, due to life experience. I can't hold on to an absurd, naive value system if it clashes with the wisdom of life experience. I thought it my case this was just developing more Te and Si and I grew older.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
IDK, you tell me. You don't seem to be one of those INFJs though, so I don't seriously expect you to explain thinking you don't identify with (unless you're saying that you do). I base my statement on statements that I've seen INFJs make online regarding INFPs & Fi. I think the Vicky Jo reference is the perfect example of this (and even she seems to admit her own major bias against INFPs). It seems a willful misunderstanding of another type, possibly due to resentment in confusion with that type.

I don't think Vicky Jo is a good example. I think Vicky Jo is a psycho, and she makes INFJs look bad.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Have unquestioning faith in their own values."

I think this could also be said of SFJs. I don't mean that as an insult to them - actually I think it's part of why I like them, because I relate to it, though it can be a HUGE pain in the ass when dealing with a homophobic old geezer or something. I think this has something to do with Fi/Si or Si/Fe. I can't put my finger on it, but I've noticed that SFJs have really extreme to reactions to certain values (I'm talking about non-religious SFJs, too, not Bible stuff but even like "if you cheat on me, I'll murder you, and you should understand that that's the only reasonable response") I find it strange sometimes how much I relate to them in this way, and also to the ability to superficially charm people (though I will agree this is more an ENFP thing, certainly, than an INFP thing).

I often wonder exactly why this is. It really puzzles me and has had me obsessing with Si to see if it's the source of the similarity. (And of course, there's always Peace Baby's suggestion that I'm actually an ENFJ :shrug:)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Unhealthy Fi is a pain in the ass, overly-dominant Fi without the support of any other functions is a pain in the ass. Healthy, balanced Fi is good for everyone.

I would suggest that there is no such thing as a 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' Fi or indeed 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' cognitive function.

What you are labelling healthy Fi is an Fi that has decided to more be silent rather than outspoken.

The subjective view that 'healthy' Fi should just internalise their strong beliefs to either ignore them or to not attempt to pursue them is suggesting that having a displayed belief or opinion is unhealthy and therefore wrong..

I'm not sure it is correct to endorse that view, after all, choice is choice and peoples preferences are their preferences; I can't possibly tell them that their preference and choice is wrong if it is their choice and preference to have. I may label it with other descriptors such as irresponsible or non-empathic, but not wrong.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's an understatement.

Her website is the most ridiculous conglomeration of contradictory crap. I loathe that site.

(How's that for an assertive statement? I rarely feel that strongly about something. ha!)

Jaguar

Her website is the most ridiculous conglomeration of contradictory crap. I loathe that site.

(How's that for an assertive statement? I rarely feel that strongly about something. ha!)

That's why I'm laughing so hard. You never make comments like that. :rofl1:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I am going to try to share some newly gained insight here, and looking for feedback on the train of thought. It's a long post, and I do apologize, but try to bear with it if you can. I am not known for being highly concise when I am trying to figure something out.

Y'all know I look at the Fi list here and the Fe list in the other thread and get "bad" feelings; that's my radar or "ping" or vibes signal that something is off, either with the list or me, and thus merits further scrutiny.

The process of picking apart where the signals come from is the duty of my Ne and Te, being the (extraverted) ways I interact with the world. It helps me to "ping" my thoughts off of others, and I hope for intelligent, cogent thoughts in return, in order to help refine my own. Thinking out loud; it's how I am wired. The finished product or revelation is seldom a result of hours and days of pondered thought then *poof* the answer is magically there; it's this back and forth "ping" that helps me to narrow my focus to find the right spot to look at.

Sometimes wonderful, measured responses come from the forum, but more often than not, especially in these "feeling" type threads, there are people who interpret this exploration as either some kind of threat or an emo-rant. Neither are correct. I am saying that for the record. I still love you all regardless. To me, it seems that the forum should yield more informed, measured and relevant responses than IRL, but it's a crap-shoot here too, for a variety of reasons I won't go into.

At any rate, this lengthy preamble is besides the point. But I wanted to share it.

------------

Yesterday's Insight:

Looking at the paraphrased descriptions of what it's like to make decisions through one's Fe:

My values shape how I live.
It's hard for me to be isolated from people.
I like good vibes. I try to fix conflict.
I am a good listener and advisor.
I just know about people. I know what they need and want.
How we work together is as important as what we accomplish.
I have a very hard time saying no. It's difficult not to volunteer even if I am not asked.
One of my biggest challenges is accepting that I can't do it all, that I can't take care of everybody.
I sometimes take on and verbalize the unspoken feelings of the room without even knowing it.
I have to be doing something that let's me feel that I am helping other people.​

I read this and say, "Hey, I identify a great deal with this list, is it thus the exclusive environs of Fe?" *ping* Then I read the Fi paraphrased list:

Paraphrased descriptions of what it's like to make decisions through one's Fi:

I can feel when people are with me or against me.
I use humor and sarcasm as a way of keeping my values from becoming public. I need to deflect attention from this very personal place.
I could never work for someone whose values conflict with mine.
My personal space is very important to me. Please don't invade my physical and emotional space.
Rules have to feel right to me or I will ignore them.
What I need most from people is affirmation, acceptance, and my freedom.
If someone affronts my values I will cut them off so quickly they will just be gone. I will probably never initiate contact with that person again.
I could never do something just because someone wants me to do it if it doesn't feel right to me.
I have a sense of right and wrong that I cannot explain.
It's very hard for me to take a stand publicly. I have to spend time trying it on to see whether it feels right. When I do take a stand, it comes out very passionately and I am not open to debating or discussing the issue.​

I look at that and know it feels far less like me, that it's far too black and white and it just feels "off" - although not wrong, it's not right either. Another *ping*. Something bears examining.

The Revelation:

The key is Fi core values. The Fe list reads as a person who has a set or sub-set of core values that are close to my core values; helping others, being kind, being compassionate. My core values result in me interacting with the world IN THAT WAY, thus the list resonates! In fact, according to theory, the Fe users' core values are not "core" at all; they are more flexible, more changeable, more adaptive let's say. And I do see Fe users adapt them frequently, nice to some people, not nice to other people, and I say "Hey, Fe is not all about happy, help the world stuff; what's going on here? If they share my core value set, why do I see behaviour that is more situationally-based?"

Here's a question as an aside: does Fe have a value set? Is it this "helper" one by default?

Next, the Fi list to me reads as a person who has, at the heart of these statements, core values that I don't identify with, someone who presents as very self-absorbed in the world. Very black and white, very limited in experience, because values are refined and tested constantly over time. For example, someone who says, "If someone affronts my values I will cut them off so quickly they will just be gone. I will probably never initiate contact with that person again" is to me a person who doesn't hold forgiveness and compassion as a core value, or one who hasn't evolved to see the subtlety of walking in another person's shoes. So, when I read that list, and perhaps other Fi users read that list, we say, "The core values I see underneath these statements are not something I can identify with. That's just not me."

THAT is the crux of the matter. I think that's where the objections originate from. If your core values don't resonate with this, how could you see that list as accurate?

(Plus, still to me, the wording does have an excessive negativity, but I won't expand on that any further.)

---------

So, fast-forward to the first attempts to unravel the "ping" - mine read like, "Hey something feels off to me" - it's smelling the milk bag and getting a sour smell back. I need to share the joy and "ping" it around, I am looking to see if it's just me or if other people are getting "pings". When you smell the milk bag, and aren't sure, don't you get someone else to smell or taste it too - "Does this taste right to you?" Same kind of idea. It helps to get another opinion, circulate it around, and get response back.

Problem is it seems, some people don't want to help smell the bag, don't even want to look at the bag, just want you to shut up and figure it out yourself or throw the bag away. I respect that. BUT, I would enjoy the courtesy of you saying it politely. And not make light or fun in these threads at a process that is imperative for me to go through to deepen my own understanding of such matters.

---------

And to finish this post, last but not least, many warm-hearted thanks to cascadeco for our great wall conversation yesterday - she was willing to do some back and forth work that helped me process to this point. It is deeply appreciated.

I look forward to feedback on this post. I hope it makes sense. :)

Last edited:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Can't say I'm a fan either. I am certain, MBTI or not, that my personality is fundamentally different from hers. If she defines INFJ, then I would have to be something else.

rav3n

I'd rather the world resonate true, instead of right or good, as I reject rightness or goodness as concepts. A cognitive dissonance within me as a Fi user.

R

RDF

[...] a process that is imperative for me to go through to deepen my own understanding of such matters. [...]

Hi PB,

I've already said that I see Jaguar's "Reference Guides" as fairly accurate reflections of Fe and Fi in their own way. I'll try to spell out why they work for me, and then maybe we can clarify or refine precisely where our differences lie.

First, a couple of starting assumptions:

1) As Proteanmix noted in the other thread, the original descriptions were nine pages long for each function. Jaguar has condensed them to a little less than a page, and now we're arguing over just one section of that page, about 10 lines for each of the functions. So potentially there's a lot of context missing: Are we talking about how the functions are experienced by the individual, or how they are perceived by the outer world? Are we talking about perceptions of Fi-Dom and Fe-Dom, or perceptions of Fi-Aux and Fe-Aux? And so on.
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36941&p=1387434&viewfull=1#post1387434

2) Still, I don't mind contrasting the two 10-line sections that you focused on: the short sections titled "Paraphrased descriptions of what it's like to make decisions through one's Introverted/Extroverted Feeling" from Jaguar's original "Reference Guides." So let's call these short 10-line sections the "Decision-making Lists"

3) However, for clarity I would like to look at how these two "Decision-making Lists" are experienced solely by Fi-Doms (INFP and ISFP) and Fe-Doms (ENFJ and ESFJ). I want to leave aside the folks who have Fi and Fe as Auxiliaries because I tend to think that a function is experienced a little differently when it's in the Auxiliary position. I could explain that in more detail in another post, and it might make an interesting thread on another occasion. But for now, let me just say that it will make the argument simpler and clearer if we just look solely at the Doms for now.

4) Also, PB, I think it's important to note that these two "Decision-making Lists" are not lists of core values. Rather, they are rules for how the two cognitive functions work. In other words, here's how those two "Decision-making Lists" are supposed to operate:
--For Fe: You take a core value like "I believe in the death penalty" or a core value like "I believe in abortion on demand" and you plug it into the "Decision-making List" for Fe, and you get a read-out of how an Fe-Dom will demonstrate or reflect that core value (i.e., how the Fe-Dom will deal with a conversation about the death penalty or whatever) when in society (let's say, in a crowd at a party).
--For Fi: You take a core value like "I believe in the death penalty" or a core value like "I believe in abortion on demand" and you plug it into the "Decision-making List" for Fi, and you get a read-out of how an Fi-Dom will demonstrate or reflect his opinion on the death penalty (the core value) when in a crowd at a party.

Okay, given those four assumptions, here is why I think the two "Decision-making Lists" are appropriate:

Fe-Dom: To me, Fe-Doms (ENFJ and ESFJ) are the Eveready Bunnies of Hospitality and Goodwill. If you're at any party or social gathering, there will always be an area of good conversation and agreement around them. If it means glossing over and ignoring differences of opinions and values in order to maintain the peace, they'll happily do that. What comes first is maintaining peace and order.

Now, I'm sure I'll receive some protests that there are plenty of times when Fe-Doms become shrill or demanding or manipulative. But generally Fe-Doms do those things in order to corral straying malcontents and push them back in line. In other words, even their worst moods are still about maintaining peace and order.

Fi-Dom: To me, Fi-Doms (INFP and ISFP) spend much of their lives teetering on a ledge: Am I a bad person if I do this thing? Should I speak up and risk making enemies? My boss is strongly and vocally pro-life, and I simply can't be around people like that--do I hide my pro-choice sympathies from him, or should I just quit my job now and be done with it?

INFPs are always fighting inner battles of good vs. evil, and they lose as often as they win. Externally, the bad times shows up as defensiveness, brittle tempers, ill-hidden stress, and a propensity to walk away from inconvenient interactions or relationships. I know that there are plenty of INFP who see themselves as people-pleasers and who might be able to mimic Fe-Doms to some extent. But anyone who posted and spent any amount of time at INFP-gc can vouch for the blow-ups, the brittleness, and walking-on-eggshells vibe at that site.

I'm not saying that we can't be warm and humble and all that. We have those things in us too. But we're not the Eveready Bunnies of Hospitality and Goodwill. We're guided more by internal dictates than by a need to maintain peace and order. In a shoot-out, we'll happily chuck peace and order right out the window.

The "Decision-making List" for Fe-Dom: For me personally, as an INFP and an Fi-Dom, I feel that there's no way that the list for Fe-Dom pertains to me. It's all about responding to people and keeping the peace--it's a list for Eveready Bunnies of Hospitality and Goodwill. Frankly, I see Fe-Dom as kind of dreary and even masochistic: Everything personal has to be pushed aside and glossed over in order to maintain order and keep the peace. The Fe-Dom list is a set of imperatives for automatons. (I'm overstating the case, of course, but hopefully you see where I'm going with this.)

In other words, if I hold the core value "I believe in the death penalty" and I plug it into the Fe-Dom "Decision-making List," it's clear what the outcome will be: Gloss over the differences, change the subject, keep the peace, and maintain an aura of hospitality and goodwill at all costs. That kind of mentality is, frankly, foreign to me.

The "Decision-making List" for Fi-Dom: As an INFP and an Fi-Dom, when I read the "Decision-making List" for Fi-Dom I say, "Aha! Here I am!" If I'm walking through a party with a controversial opinion at the top of my mind because of some hot death penalty debate in the newspapers lately, then I'll be ducking and dodging. I'm walking a tightrope. My Ne is dying to engage with someone on the issue, and at the same time my value is so personal and deeply held that I fear any push-back from the other person will cause me to lose it. I'm wrestling between burying my opinion so deep no one will ever find it except me, on the one hand, versus going up to someone who holds the exact opposite opinion and getting in their face and showing them the folly of everything they stand for. (I'm overstating the case again, but hopefully you see where I'm going with this.)

In other words, if I hold the core value "I believe in the death penalty" and I plug it into the Fi-Dom "Decision-making List," it's clear that the outcome is anything but definite. I may keep the peace and figure it's no one's business but mine; or I may get so disgusted at hearing people around me taking the other side of the issue that I end up drinking too much, getting in a fight with my best friend over the issue, stomping away disgusted, and resolving never to see him ever again.

Thus, to me, the Fi-Dom "Decision-making List" is right on the mark. It's not a description of Eveready Bunnies of Hospitality and Goodwill. It's a description of tormented souls in the grip of existential debate ... or maybe it's just a description of drama queens teetering on the edge of hysterical outbursts. :ranting: Call it what you want, but that's a lot closer to the real me than the "Decision-making List" for Fe-Doms.

Again, hopefully everyone will understand that I simultaneously overstated and oversimplified my points, to make the distinctions ultra-clear. A little hyperbole goes a long way. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would suggest that there is no such thing as a 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' Fi or indeed 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' cognitive function.

What you are labelling healthy Fi is an Fi that has decided to more be silent rather than outspoken.

I'm going to agree with this. "Healthy" Fi seems to be the more passive version, or the kind of Fi that Enneagram 9s have.

However, I'm not butthurt at all about this description of Fi in the OP, I wanted to add that here. It didn't seem especially negative to me or anything. Maybe because it's not my dom function?