User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    It donned on me reading Psychological Types when Jung refers to a very much introverting-introvert that they display the opposite tertiary attitude...

ie:
    More Balanced INTJ -> Ni -> Te -> Fi -> Se
    More Introverted INTJ -> Ni -> Te -> Fe -> Se

That the more introverted INTJ stops voicing their beliefs and merely becomes more socially compliant by being more introvert and brings out their inner persona publically by extroverting but others may find it very 'strong' and unsympathetic.

Whereas for the ENTP...

More Extroverted ENTP -> Ne -> Ti -> Fi -> Si
    More Balanced ENTP -> Ne -> Ti -> Fe -> Si

That by bringing the ENTP down to a more balanced position they relate to others better; the opposite directional effect!

Just an idea that's in my head right now. And I don't think it's so wrong when it comes to some kind of cognitive/behavioural linkage. Anyway I can't remember why I posted this here but I have a feeling it has something to do with the topic at hand.
    That's an interesting analysis. Would you share the section of Jung that implies this, please?

Banned

In one sentence of Psychological Types - 1921 - Jung states that for an extreme extrovert all three auxiliary functions would be introverted: 'In the case of highly extroverted cognition:' "most differentiated function is always employed in an extraverted way, whereas the inferior functions are introverted". And then goes on to explain the 'Extroverted Intuitive Perceiver' in depth (in effect and ENTP) as Ne - Ti - Fi - Si and an 'Introverted Intuitive Thinker' in depth as Ti - Ne - Fe - Se. Alas I am in work at the moment so I don't have my copy of it handy, but I'll have a look at it this evening.

It would also seem to me that originally Isabell Briggs followed Jungs interpretation that the tertiary had the opposite direction of the dominant function; however the Meyers Briggs Institute in common with most modern Jungians believe that the tertiary function has the same attitude as the primary.

My question is; could it take on different attitudes and be forced by the primary OR the secondary depending upon what is required situationally?

Could its attitude act as both the creative pivot and also a weakness as described by Beebe, but was Beebe wrong to assume this was as a consequence of its nature but actually the 'over excited' individual muddling the functional use up, displaying solid belief in the excited mode in the case of an extroverted thinker and an introverted thinker moving towards balance? Why else do you see so many young INTJs and ENTPs on mbti boards telling us all what they believe/think and that everyone else is wrong? An Fe/Fi Guddle... empathise with my beliefs on the matter is the war cry.

Briggs Reference:

Myers, Isabel Briggs; Mary H. McCaulley (1985) (in English). Manual: A Guide to the Development and Use of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (2nd edition ed.). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologist Press. pp. 52. ISBN 0-89106-027-8.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

It would also seem to me that originally Isabell Briggs followed Jungs interpretation that the tertiary had the opposite direction of the dominant function; however the Meyers Briggs Institute in common with most modern Jungians believe that the tertiary function has the same attitude as the primary.
    Well, the MBTI Manual, 3rd Edition, still seems to follow the Jungian model (see p 31, for example). The official CPP stance seems to be that all but the dominant function have the opposite attitude.

My question is; could it take on different attitudes and be forced by the primary OR the secondary depending upon what is required situationally?
    I suspect there's more flexibility than the purists would think. I'm personally not sure whether it's more situational, or less situationally flexible but based on individual development or inclination.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

OT split out left in the graveyard, keep it civil y’all.

ummm, oommm.... where did the text from OP disappear ?

seems like i am really missing something here drama and shits.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

LOL ...congrats to the OP (or to the mods) for making this thread absolutely hilarious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hahaha.. indeed.
    INFJ, 4w5
    Mercurial, Idiosyncratic, Sensitive
    RLOEI, Chaotic Neutral, Melancholy / Phlegmatic
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i take full credit for the quote in the OP

though would also like to point out that "likes to seem" =/= "is"

so InvisibleJim, if what Jung wrote is assumed to be true, does that also mean a very close to introverted Exxx will end up forcing the tertiary even more extraverted than normal? i would imagine so.

i agree with Seymour that things are probably pretty flexible... though speaking of, it raises an interesting question about the theory of functional roles. for an extremely extraverted ENTP, if Fe switches to Fi in the tertiary/Relief/Puer role, does Fe exchange and become the Deceiving/Trickster?

i LOVE to seem whiney and self absorbed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i take full credit for the quote in the OP

though would also like to point out that "likes to seem" =/= "is"

so InvisibleJim, if what Jung wrote is assumed to be true, does that also mean a very close to introverted Exxx will end up forcing the tertiary even more extraverted than normal? i would imagine so.

i agree with Seymour that things are probably pretty flexible... though speaking of, it raises an interesting question about the theory of functional roles. for an extremely extraverted ENTP, if Fe switches to Fi in the tertiary/Relief/Puer role, does Fe exchange and become the Deceiving/Trickster?
    Yes, that seems to be the way I'm taking it for now.