• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Intuition: A Quick Reference Guide

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like these. Are you going to do all of the functions in this way?

rav3n

Great description although we need to be cautious about infallibility.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
this is awesome. :yes:

• A fine-tuned awareness of people's authenticity level and of how safe it is to be open, honest, and vulnerable with them.
  • I get a sense of who people are very quickly. I have to remind myself that they probably don't know me as well as I know them.

are these just Ni, or more Ni-Fe?

also, what does "who people are" mean, and what is it to know them well? i feel like Ne-Fi allows me a similar aptitude and i wonder how this is different.

rav3n

also, what does "who people are" mean, and what is it to know them well? i feel like Ne-Fi allows me a similar aptitude and i wonder how this is different.
As someone with little to no Fe, I would say that this isn't Ni-Fe since I do get a sense of people fairly quickly, rightly or wrongly. I have to stress the right/wrong aspects since it's too easy to make snap judgments and be wrong.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this is awesome. :yes:

As Metaphor says, it's not really Ni-Fe. My intj has said the same thing about himself, re. quick people reading. I think it boils down to taking small details/aspects and projecting outwards to other liklihoods. i.e. A simple example, you just met someone and you discover he drives a bmw. You can extrapolate a whole lot of probably accurate things about 'who he is' (values, priorities, what other things he likely spends his money on, other such stuff) based on that simple fact. Of course you can easily get carried away and be extremely wrong on some points/extrapolations, and that's just a basic example, and one that probably non-Ni-users do also, but Ni just does that, automatically and almost instantaneously, for all sorts of other little traits.

Nicodemus

As Metaphor says, it's not really Ni-Fe. My intj has said the same thing about himself, re. quick people reading. I think it boils down to taking small details/aspects and projecting outwards to other liklihoods. i.e. A simple example, you just met someone and you discover he drives a bmw. You can extrapolate a whole lot of probably accurate things about 'who he is' (values, priorities, what other things he likely spends his money on, other such stuff) based on that simple fact. Of course you can easily get carried away and be extremely wrong on some points/extrapolations, and that's just a basic example, and one that probably non-Ni-users do also, but Ni just does that, automatically and almost instantaneously, for all sorts of other little traits.
My mother (ESFJ) does not understand the process. It totally baffles her when I answer her questions as to what I think of certain people I have just spoken to.

G

Ginkgo

What did you expect for my 5000th post? :wink:

I thought you were going to reveal your secret identity as THE MAVERICK!

bret-maverick1.jpg

(Which is actually a double secret identity in case one of your "Scooby Dooby Doo's" gets answered by Scooby himself)

Jaguar

How Ni is expressed will vary from person to person regardless of what other FA's (function attitudes) are being expressed with it. The phrases you brought up, "who people are" and "knowing people well" are just another way of expressing the ability to read someone on a very deep level. I don't like to assign absolutes, since I think it limits potential in people. Having said that, I know that everything in the quick reference guide can easily apply to anyone who has well-developed Ni. It's not about Ni-Fe or Ni-Te, per se, or even about "position." The strength of Ni, or any FA, has nothing to do with an alleged position.

Someone once posted that a Dominant function attitude is someone's "natural skill." No, it is not. A Dom FA can be so poorly developed, the person doesn't even trust it. Come to think of it, I recall an INTJ bringing that up. He relies heavily on Te, and is uncomfortable trusting his Ni. We all have basic use of all the Function attitudes, but type doesn't equal skill.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just one question:

Can you clarify the statement that Ni is the only process that is independent of the conscious mind. I guess I'm failing to understand fully why this would be so. Having weak Ni myself, I find the Ni function as a whole one of the more difficult ones to grasp.

Jaguar

Can you clarify the statement that Ni is the only process that is independent of the conscious mind.

What you are really asking is, what is intuition?

In`tu`i´tion

• Any quick insight, recognized immediately without a reasoning process; a belief arrived at unconsciously.
  • The ability to have insight into a matter without conscious thought.

You can Google: intuition and the unconscious, and have more than you could possibly want to read.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
This is a very good description of many of the aspects of introverted intuition.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Exactly.

How Ni is expressed will vary from person to person regardless of what other FA's (function attitudes) are being expressed with it. The phrases you brought up, "who people are" and "knowing people well" are just another way of expressing the ability to read someone on a very deep level. I don't like to assign absolutes, since I think it limits potential in people. Having said that, I know that everything in the quick reference guide can easily apply to anyone who has well-developed Ni. It's not about Ni-Fe or Ni-Te, per se, or even about "position." The strength of Ni, or any FA, has nothing to do with an alleged position.

Someone once posted that a Dominant function attitude is someone's "natural skill." No, it is not. A Dom FA can be so poorly developed, the person doesn't even trust it. Come to think of it, I recall an INTJ bringing that up. He relies heavily on Te, and is uncomfortable trusting his Ni. We all have basic use of all the Function attitudes, but type doesn't equal skill.

This makes sense in theory but it seems baffling that someone could have a dominant function and not be skilled in using it. It would seem particularly destructive. I wonder what kind of environmental influence would lead this to happen. One example might be parents or peers who did not value or trust the function and were highly critical or dismissive when it was used.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This makes sense in theory but it seems baffling that someone could have a dominant function and not be skilled in using it. It would seem particularly destructive. I wonder what kind of environmental influence would lead this to happen. One example might be parents or peers who did not value or trust the function and were highly critical or dismissive when it was used.

Perhaps talent has to do with it? Talent is related to environment wherein the environment sets up the standard.

Jaguar

I don't find it baffling at all. It's merely a preference and preference doesn't equal skill. I'm not going to lie to you, I laughed when I saw a bunch of INTJs in another forum asking what Ni was. If you have to ask what something is, it's highly unlikely you're skilled at it. When is the last time you heard a cardiologist ask what angioplasty is?

For what it's worth, the INTJ who doesn't trust his Ni is a very smart young man. I anticipate a bright future for him. He's only around 20, so as he ages he may develop a trust in Ni that he hasn't had before. I have no doubt he will do great things. Crappy Ni, or not.

By the way, a friend of mine is a retired psychologist. He doesn't have much respect for MBTI and he immediately noted how likely it is for people to answer questions as they would like themselves to be, rather than how they actually are.

I know Sherlock tried to make a test for the processes that proved to be a real pain in the ass for him/her, but even though it was a hassle, I think it should have led some people to wonder about their processes and their strength. I may have scored a 16 on Ni, but does that really tell us about my "skill"? No. Hell, no. It was nothing but a superficial score, one that could easily change on some other "test." See my point? Only we know our personal strengths and weaknesses. And all the tests in the world will never reveal them in any meaningful way - least of all, Ni.

I suggest people look at what I posted in that Ni Quick Reference and honestly ask themselves how much they identify with it. I think it's a more sincere way of looking at our strengths, than continuing to take misleading tests that are actually fooling people into believing the results are a measurement of their strengths, when in reality it is just the strength of their preference. Not skill.

One last thing - we can develop a lot of strength in non-preferred FA's. If there is an environmental demand it's bound to happen, or just happen naturally as one ages. Environment matters - home, school, and work. Along with those demands will come the development of our processes - some we might not expect.

I know I posted this link a couple months ago, but it really is worth posting again. It will get people thinking about what they may have developed along the way, and perhaps why. It will certainly get them to realize that type isn't as clear-cut as they once thought.

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/mmd-growth/mmd-growth.htm