User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Default Types and Unexpected Professions

I'm taking the same Psychology teacher for a second quarter, and he was discussing his choice to become a psychologist/teacher-researcher instead of a clinical therapist/psychiatrist. (I like him a lot and his tangents, and was wondering mildly of his MBTI type before this came up.) One of the reasons he gave was that he found that his extraverted, thinking, perceiving temperment (ExTP) wasn't all that great for listening to people's problems and helping them through them - not ideal for clinical therapy as an IxSP is.

And I was imagining him being all loud and talkative and sometimes mean as a therapist.

But it made me think of all the MBTI stereotype professions: the INTJ scientist, the ISTJ accoutant, the ESTP business major.... Well what about those who have taken anti-stereotype professions? (Serious real-life or hilariously imagined. Or hilarious real-life and seriously imagined.) (The ISFP lawyer! The ENTJ teacher!)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    The ENTJ teacher!)
    This doesn't actually seem all that off the wall. Teachers are sort of "in charge" of the people they are teaching, and ENTJ's do seem to have a variety of possible interests that, based on how people usually seem to work,. they would want to bring other people up to speed on.

(ENTJ teachers do seem like they would work out slightly better than the stereotypical "I'm right and that's how it is" type of teachers, and might prefer people take more initiative, but would still seem likely to have that "in charge" mentality, and seem that they would be hard to approach.)

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well, I wouldn't say my profession is in complete opposition to my personality type, but the aspect of it that I tend to struggle with is my thinking I'm not doing a whole lot of good in 'the big picture', and it doesn't line up with what I really care about and value in the world. I'm a Systems Analyst (systems testing, a fair amount of project work/leading, and a small amount of system monitoring).

Some common stereotypes for INFJ are counseling, clergy, psychology, medical professions, teaching, and a few artistic careers. Given how worn out I get sometimes when I'm socializing several days in a row, even if I'm 'just' listening, I really think counseling and psychology would wear me out. I would get so invested in my patients, I think, that I would exhaust myself. Teaching is out of the question, again mostly due to the introversion. I have mused before that the clergy might be an ideal environment for me, and I might thrive in it...however, I lack the requisite belief system for that!! And then the medical profession...I've just never wanted to do anything in that field. As for the arts...oh, it would be cool if I could make a living as an artist. I'm just fairly certain I wouldn't be able to pay the bills.

Myself aside...I'm acquainted with a female ENFJ electrical engineer. She goes against ENFJ stereotype!!!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd like to be a children's author. Does that go against the INTJ stereotype? (I'm honestly not sure.)

MBTI
    infp

I had an ENTJ principal in grade seven and eight. She was brutal, it was insane. I remember her talking to a group of grade threes and pretty much flaunting her vocabulary (although it wasn't really anything special, but the third graders seemed puzzled). She was talking about a feild trip but kept using words like "excursion" that the kids didn't know (hell, it was the first time I had heard it too). But yah, she was very bossy and formal and stuff, almost like an SJ in a sense of the formalness and tradition, but controlling like an ENTJ. I assume she would have been a teacher at some point, too. It doesn't seem that absurd that a teacher could be ENTJ though.

How about an INTJ preist?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

What about an ESFJ mathematician?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

ENFJ assassin IMO. Euthanasia!
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm married to an INTP truck driver who went to school to be a pastor.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Actually, being an interstate truck driver sounds appealing to me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    How about an INTJ priest?
    Interesting. I don't suspect INTJs like children very much...at least I don't.

And I tend to consider business to be in the domain of N, specifically Ne. Business management largely consists of noticing future trends and being, yes, intuitive.