User Tag List

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Can MBTI thinkers really be agreeable types on the Big Five?

Most of the time Big Five tests score me as agreeable yet I'm a pretty solid T on the MBTI. I'm just wondering if there are other MBTI Ts who identify with agreeableness as defined by the Big Five. Most of the MBTI T's I've noticed score low on agreeableness.

There is a correlation of agreeableness with MBTI F and a negative correlation with MBTI T.

I read about the subscales under the agreeableness dimension, and I don't see much that necessarily contradicts MBTI thinking.

Here's a summary of the Big Five agreeableness subscales:

Trust. I score high on this. I generally trust others and give others the benefit of the doubt at first. The exception is when they do something to betray that trust.

Cooperativeness: I score very high on this. I don't like conflicts or fighting with others and avoid it if possible. I suspect I'm considerably higher on this dimension than most T's. I also have a strong enneagram type 9 component which contributes.

Altruism: I typically score in the low-average range. It's not that I don't like helping others, it's just that I want to help them on my own terms and not feel like I'm being imposed upon. I often find requests for help an imposition on my own time and energy.

Modesty: I score high on this. I don't see myself as being better than anyone else or worse for that matter. I prefer to see myself as an equal.

Sympathy: I score average to high. I feel bad for the homeless and people who have undergone alot of strife in their lives.

Morality: Again high on this. I prefer to be straightforward with others and I don't think its right to take advantage of others for personal gain. I have a strong conscience and a sense of what's ethically appropriate.

So on 5 of the 6 subscales, I lean towards the agreeable side of things. Yet I score solidly in the T camp on the Myers Briggs because I primarily use logic and objective criteria to make decisions. I'm more comfortable with logic and analysis than with emotions and stuff which I often find confusing and overwhelming.

Is there anyone else who's Big Five scores seem to contradict their MBTI type? How does it play out for you?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Te is usually not very agreeable. Ti on the other hand often likes to keep to itself, particularly if there's not too much Ne supporting it and with that Fe in the background that likes to avoid conflict. I think it is possible for a Ti user to be agreeable. We are informing rather than directive. I am rather similar to that in terms of morality, sympathy and probably modesty, though I am not very cooperative or altruistic.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

I got not agreeable. I think this plays out with my MBTI type in that I'm judgemental. It goes with Fe rejecting what it doesn't consider to be acceptable.

You could probably come up with a correlation between any MBTI type and any Big 5 characteristic. :/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i'm agreeable.

but i'm also probably an introvert on the big 5, which obviously isn't true in the MBTI. i feel like ENxPs in general are likely to come out as introverts. so ENTPs... they could end up as agreeable extraverts.

i don't like the big 5 or SLOAN/OCEAN much, though. i feel like there are "right" answers.
    Last edited by skylights; 11-03-2010 at 11:20 PM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Sherlock is on to the right idea. The correlators try to map Big 5 directly onto the four MBTI dichotmomies, and while I/E is an obvious match for Extraversion and S/N to Openness, (and new special MBTI form factor Comfort-Discomfort made to match Neuroticism), the other two actually match Keirsey's directive/informative (Agreeableness) and pragmatic/cooperative (Conscientiousness). These do not always correspond to T/F. For S's they do, but for N's it is actually J/P. (Which is assumed to always be Conscientiousness).

So technically, NTP's should be Agreeable, since they are informative, though on the SLOAN version they usually just come out as whatever corresponds to T, which is assumed to be low on agreeableness. (Likewise, NFJ's might actually be less agreeable, since they are directive). Berens' "Structure/Motive" might also be another form of agreeableness, with both NF and SP high on that scales, so STP's might have a measure of agreeableness as well.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

This is a familiar thread

-----

I don't think they correlate perfectly. Really, it can be quite logical at times to be an agreeable person, so a Thinker may cultivate an agreeable attitude; and a Feeler may value autonomy & their own needs enough to not be some people-pleasing doormat, and so they may not be extremely agreeable.

As a Fi-dom I usually score around 40% on agreeableness (making me "egocentric"), and my whole Big 5 type is RLUEI, which is supposed to equate to INTP (what I often score on MBTI tests), but I think it's just that I am a bit Fe-tarded, highly introverted (causing a "detached" affect at times), and my values are less about serving people than meeting (what I see as) noble ideas.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    This is a familiar thread

-----

I don't think they correlate perfectly. Really, it can be quite logical at times to be an agreeable person, so a Thinker may cultivate an agreeable attitude; and a Feeler may value autonomy & their own needs enough to not be some people-pleasing doormat, and so they may not be extremely agreeable.

As a Fi-dom I usually score around 40% on agreeableness (making me "egocentric"), and my whole Big 5 type is RLUEI, which is supposed to equate to INTP (what I often score on MBTI tests), but I think it's just that I am a bit Fe-tarded, highly introverted (causing a "detached" affect at times), and my values are less about serving people than meeting (what I see as) noble ideas.

I just took a big five test on similiarminds.com and I only scored about 45% on agreeableness. Their emphasis seems to be different though. I score slightly egocentric on that test because I am rather self-absorbed to the point where I don't always notice others.

I guess it depends on the test. Some other tests have me as high as 80%
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne