• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP vs ENTP

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
This is a difficult topic, because they really are SO similar, as I've discovered. But here after some research I have decided on some probably accurate conclusions.

Myths
-INTPs must be exhausted by social interaction
-ENTPs must enjoy spending time with people
-INTPs are ONLY interested in theory and have no desire to impact the real world
-INTPs do not like to bounce ideas off people and have a linear internal thought process
-ENTPs can not finish anything

ENTP
The dominant Ne in ENTPs means they are LESS (noit to say they aren't) concerned with logical accuracy and are more likey to go with ideas right off the mark than INTPs. This can sometimes mean they rush into situations too quickly but often means they are good at improvising and coming up with a large quantity of ideas in a short time frame. They have a tendency to not follow too deeply into their ideas because they are always coming up with new ones, but if an idea appeals enough, they can potentially carry it rather far, and the ENTP will usually want to put a strong mark on the world with it. When strongly enthusiastic about something, the ENTP can put in a tremendous amount of energy, usually in a very short time frame, into making it a reality. Also, having a higher Fe, they generally have more desire for social admiration and a better ability to enthuse people, becoming motivated by people supporting their ideas and plans. It is not always the case, but they tend to enjoy generating ideas with people. They tend to view most of their life as a new experience as opposed to relating it to things they have done before, and will normally try new and experimental approaches, preffering to see where it takes them rather than being cautious. They tend to be quick witted and prefer thinking quickly n the spot. They are less likely to get caught up in logical details and are more big picture people, which often gives them stronger leadership ability and greater skill at carrying ideas forward into reality quickly. Because of this, they tend to also be less limited by logical principles, giving some ENTPs the competitive but less sincere aspect that INTPs tend to lack.

INTP
The primary Ti means that in general, the INTP will be more focused on smaller details and logical principles. They still generate ideas, but they tend to be less diverse and numerous than the ENTP. An INTP however, tends to think through ideas in more depth and while generally not as good at carrying ideas out are better critics and analysts, noticing minute logical inconsistencies, which can seem very important. While the ENTP is an idea generator, the INTP is an idea perfectionist. They will also be more likely to examine whether something they are doing fits within their principles, or if it has proven to be useful and safe in the past with Si. INTPs do not necessarily have a thought process seperated from the world completely. Their Ne is present in the external world still and will often look for input in others, but the difference is that the INTP theorises internally and uses Ne to get input to expand on the concept, whereas the ENTP uses Ne to get ideas and then Ti to verify them. In fact, because Ti always searches for truth, the INTP may constantly search for more input if they doubt their conclusions are accurate (this was one thing that had me thinking I may be ENTP at one point, as I frequently search for input from others). They are generally quite cautious and must be sure of something before they act on it. The INTPs thoughts may also be rather tangential, but they will be more likely brought back to a single or few conclusions. They will always be striving primarily for accuracy, and a lot of the time, simplyunderstanding an idea in depth will be enough. However, that is not to say an INTP will not want to interact with the world. They still have Ne, and will often enjoy sharing their logic systems and ideas with the world, and even implementing them in a useful way, once they have been thought through thoroughly. Because INTPs have low Fe, they tend to have less desire for people to support their ideas, but are also generally less gregarious and have little skill for getting people on their side. The INTP often has a strong aspect of sentimentality towards things that relate to them personally or are part of their past.

Hm... well I hope I covered most of the important stuff and didn't make any mistakes. I think there are a lot of misconceptions, but perhaps I have my own misconceptions here. What do you think of this? Is it a good way to differentiate the two types?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
"the INTP will be more focused on smaller details and logical principles."

this should be: the intp will be more focused on small details of logical principles.

"but the difference is that the INTP theorises internally and uses Ne to get input to expand on the concept"

imo Ne can offer ideas to intp like it does to entp(at least to intp with high Ne), but Ne ideas for intp need more extensive verification from Ti than they do for entp. its kinda like entp gets more ready ideas from Ne that he can trust more easily, while Ne ideas of intp cant(or just arent even if they could be) trusted so easily

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
"the INTP will be more focused on smaller details and logical principles."

this should be: the intp will be more focused on small details of logical principles.

"but the difference is that the INTP theorises internally and uses Ne to get input to expand on the concept"

imo Ne can offer ideas to intp like it does to entp(at least to intp with high Ne), but Ne ideas for intp need more extensive verification from Ti than they do for entp. its kinda like entp gets more ready ideas from Ne that he can trust more easily, while Ne ideas of intp cant(or just arent even if they could be) trusted so easily

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Anything else I've missed?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^I agree with INTPs correction of OPs original post (which I as a matter of fact general concur).

This reminds me the Disney Creative Strategy ( see: http://www.mycoted.com/Disney_Creativity_Strategy ) and how one can notice the need for realignment for optimal results.

In general it appears as if the ENTP works fine in the role of Dreamer (brainstorming) and is pretty good in the role of the Realist (spacial organization for implementation) but not as good at the [self] Critic role [although they are fine critiquing others/ideas/concepts which contradict to their original dream.

In other words the ENTP's Critic choses to abandon their post as "quality control" and instead takes on the role of the Defender [of the Dreamers original untested idea] and critiques other threatening conflicting ideas in the vicinity.

In general the INTP differs in that they tend to get stuck in a first phase battle between the Dreamer and the Critic (without waiting for the Realist to complete their intermediate step.

In other words the INTP's Critic cuts in line in front of the Realist and starts wrestling with Dreamer.

In fact both INTPs and ENTPs would be prudent on strengthening their Realist stages in general ( INTJ's and ESTJs are a good role models for types that have strong Realist stages of the Dilts Disney Creative Strategy [albeit not particularly strong in the Dreamer or self Critic stages]

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
That Disney creative strategy thing is very interesting, and I haven't heard of it before. So INTP would probably be Critic>Dreamer>Realist and ENTP Dreamer>Realist>Critic. Now I feel like guessing the other types! How accurate do you think these are?

ISTJ: Critic>Realist>Dreamer
INTJ: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
INFJ: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
INFP: Critic>Dreamer>Realist
ISFP: Realist>Critic>Dreamer
ISTP: Critic>Realist>Dreamer
ISFJ: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
ESTP: Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ESFP>Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ENFP: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
ESFJ: Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ENFJ: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
ENTJ: Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ESTJ: Realist>Critic>Dreamer

I'm not really confident about those at all, but I'll look more into it later.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
That Disney creative strategy thing is very interesting, and I haven't heard of it before. So INTP would probably be Critic>Dreamer>Realist and ENTP Dreamer>Realist>Critic. Now I feel like guessing the other types! How accurate do you think these are?

ISTJ: Realist>Critic>Dreamer
INTJ: Realist>Dreamer>Critic
INFJ: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
INFP: Critic>Dreamer>Realist
ISFP: Realist>Critic>Dreamer
ISTP: Realist>Critic>Dreamer
ISFJ: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
ESTP: Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ESFP>Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ENFP: Dreamer>Realist>Critic
ESFJ: Realist>Critic>Dreamer
ENFJ: Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ENTJ: Realist>Dreamer>Critic
ESTJ: Realist>Critic>Dreamer

I'm not really confident about those at all, but I'll look more into it later.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^Very clever

I think your mostly on target as far as type although I would add that some are more balanced than others as far as preference and equilibrium.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
^Very clever

I think your mostly on target as far as type although I would add that some are more balanced than others as far as preference and equilibrium.

Yes, XNTJs I had trouble deciding on. also, not many types seem to be primary critics. The only other ones I can think of would be ISTP, but they're probably more realist, being Se users. Maybe ISTJ though actually. Also, maybe on second thought the EXFJs are more dreamers.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
INTJs are probably even for everything, which is why they make such badass criminal masterminds!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Back to the original point the 800 lb monkey in the room seems to be the extrovert/introvert distinction between ENTPs and INTPs

It appears safe to generalize that ENTPs gain energy through interactions with people or objects in the outside world. They tend to enjoy having a wide circle of acquaintances. ENTPs are more verbally quick, enthusiastic, outgoing. ENTPs tend to be more motivated by a desire to understand and improve the world they live in.

2ndary to the extrovert introvert division seems to be the Si tertiary/inferior distinction.

With Si inferior ENTP grip on reality seems more tenuous. The Si tertiary combined with the Ti dom seems to make INTPs more pragmatic in totality if not downright skeptical in comparison.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Back to the original point the 800 lb monkey in the room seems to be the extrovert/introvert distinction between ENTPs and INTPs

It appears safe to generalize that ENTPs gain energy through interactions with people or objects in the outside world. They tend to enjoy having a wide circle of acquaintances. ENTPs are more verbally quick, enthusiastic, outgoing. ENTPs tend to be more motivated by a desire to understand and improve the world they live in.

2ndary to the extrovert introvert division seems to be the Si tertiary/inferior distinction.

With Si inferior ENTP grip on reality seems more tenuous. The Si tertiary combined with the Ti dom seems to make INTPs more pragmatic in totality if not downright skeptical in comparison.

Mostly true, but ENTPs do not necessarily enjoy people's company, and INTPs don't necessarily get tired by it.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Assuming (rather liberally) that this creative strategy can be arranged into MBTI types like the communication styles, here is what I think.

R=Realist
D=Dreamer
C=Critic

Dominant Realists
ISFP: R>D>C
ESFP: R>D>C
ESTP: R>C>D
ESTJ: R>C>D

Dominant Dreamers
ENTP: D>R>C
ENFP: D>R>C
INFJ: D>C>R
ENFJ: D>C>R

Dominant Critics
INTP: C>D>R
INFP: C>D>R
ISTJ: C>R>D
ISTP: C>R>D

Even all over
ISFJ
ESFJ
INTJ
ENTJ

Ingenue

I actually disagree with your RDC ordering. I would imagine that a Realist would have a strong Te, supported by either an S-type or J-type. Some of your realists have a Ti preference.

I would also imagine a critic to have a strong Ni.

For example, using the INTJ, I would think something like C>R>D

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I actually disagree with your RDC ordering. I would imagine that a Realist would have a strong Te, supported by either an S-type or J-type. Some of your realists have a Ti preference.

I would also imagine a critic to have a strong Ni.

For example, using the INTJ, I would think something like C>R>D

Critics are mainly the Ji people, particularly Ti, and having a supporting Ne helps with looking deeper. I can see Ni as a critic though. Yes, Te users are probably realists, but so are Se users. I think both Ne and Ni would be good for dreamers, as they are either coming up with tons of great ideas (Ne) or are coming upwith ways to achieve their definite vision (Ni). I thought Si was also a bit of a dreamer function, though a more nostalgic dreamer, but also critiquing to see if it fits. That's why SFJs have everything equal. Si-Ne dreaming, Si-ti critiquing and Fe realism. NTJs have Ni-Fi critiquing, Ni dreaming and Te-Se realism.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
interesting system :huh:

i can't speak for the others but i agree with the ENFP order.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You forgot to say that entps have the bigger p-ness :D.

No, good op I even read it for once !!! General picture it creates sounds about right. I agree with the rdc - pictures aswell and the comment made later on that intps and entps could be more realist at times.

See, I am totally proud of myself, I read a whole thread, only downside is, while approaching the thread with a serious intent, I hadnt the time to plant the bomb somewhere and to play devils advocate now at that point.... But the coffee I just brew is very delicious !

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
No, good op I even read it for once !!! General picture it creates sounds about right. I agree with the rdc - pictures aswell and the comment made later on that intps and entps could be more realist at times.

Yeah, the idea that INTPs have no desire whatsoever to see their plans brought to action never made much sense to me. I mean if you spend 20 years designing a teleporter, you're going to want it made.

See, I am totally proud of myself, I read a whole thread, only downside is, while approaching the thread with a serious intent, I hadnt the time to plant the bomb somewhere and to play devils advocate now at that point.... But the coffee I just brew is very delicious !

You normally don't read full threads? Even short ones?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
It is not that simple.
First look at the individual declension of the function order.

1.The declension can be low. We cannot determine the MBTI type.
2.The declension can proximate the mean average. The MBTI type is not found. The nearest MBTI type is found.
3.The declension can be high. The MBTI type is found. Si is the complementary party of Ne: One continuum. If Ne is the second function, Si is not the third function. Vice versa.
Declension is directly respective of dichotomy. A continuum does not turn over its own axis.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
It is not that simple.
First look at the individual declension of the function order.

1.The declension can be low. We cannot determine the MBTI type.
2.The declension can proximate the mean average. The MBTI type is not found. The nearest MBTI type is found.
3.The declension can be high. The MBTI type is found. Si is the complementary party of Ne: One continuum. If Ne is the second function, Si is not the third function. Vice versa.
Declension is directly respective of dichotomy. A continuum does not turn over its own axis.

Yeah what?